Patching Proton(Steam)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Andriko Mar 8, 2022
Hi all,

I am trying to get the combat mission games running on Linux, but keep getting an OpenGL error. There seems to be a solutiont here, but 'patching' Proton is way beyond me - does anyone know how to do this?

Better still, is there perhaps a custom Proton that deals with the openGL issue?

Thanks!
tuxintuxedo Mar 8, 2022
I advise you don't try patching anything. The link is from 2017 and the last entry in the bug report mentioned there is from 2020. Wine (and Proton) changed a lot since then. If you have problems even with the other Proton versions, then you should submit a bug report with the needed information gathered. Either on the WineHQ website or on the Proton GitHub site.
whizse Mar 8, 2022
It's a one line change, so no problem applying it to an up to date Wine release-

Keep in mind though that this is a source code patch. You would need to compile Wine/Proton yourself after applying the patch. It's not really hard, but might be a daunting task if it's your first time-

Do give the bug report a polite bump and ask if anyone is working on it. Efforts does seems to have stalled there.
Andriko Mar 9, 2022
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll definatley file a bug report - if they fix it it might make other people happy to!

Quoting: whizseIt's a one line change, so no problem applying it to an up to date Wine release-

Keep in mind though that this is a source code patch. You would need to compile Wine/Proton yourself after applying the patch. It's not really hard, but might be a daunting task if it's your first time-

Do give the bug report a polite bump and ask if anyone is working on it. Efforts does seems to have stalled there.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do this? I am more than happy to learn, and considering I play niche games it's probably a good skill to have!

I've found the Steam/Proton source code on git hub (I think!), but no amount of googling seems to have instructions on how to actually apply to line of code.
whizse Mar 9, 2022
Quoting: AndrikoI've found the Steam/Proton source code on git hub (I think!), but no amount of googling seems to have instructions on how to actually apply to line of code.
It's usually applied by using the "patch" CLI utility, The "diff" utility is the counterpart used to create the patch.

But for small patches you can also just apply it manually. If you look at the patch file it contains line numbers, the name of the function and the lines that are changed: lines beginning with - are removed, and lines beginning with + are added.

I would recommend trying to build Wine first instead of Proton. Proton is a little bit more complicated and probably harder to get help if you run into problems.
whizse Mar 9, 2022
Quoting: whizseI would recommend trying to build Wine first instead of Proton. Proton is a little bit more complicated and probably harder to get help if you run into problems.
Actually I have to revise that statement. I had nothing but problem with the previous container/build system used (Vagrant) but the new one introduced with Proton 7 using podman is so much better I think it is preferred to a manual Wine build.

Anyhow, I also prepared a custom Proton with the patch from bug 9378 applied. I tried it with the game demo and it works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hroauuikuhf5td/Proton-7.0-Andriko-1.zip?dl=0

(Obviously downloading and running software handed to you by random weirdos on the Internet is not recommended! No hard feelings if you prefer to build it yourself! :) )
Andriko Mar 10, 2022
Thanks whize! It works great! This is brilliant, it;s about the only game I play, so naturally it wouldn't work for me!

And no worries about downloading it - it couldn't do worse to the PC than what I did the other day when I accidentally bricked it and destroyed Windows...

Can't thank you enough!
whizse Mar 10, 2022
Glad it worked for you!
Kondor999 Oct 21, 2022
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: whizseI would recommend trying to build Wine first instead of Proton. Proton is a little bit more complicated and probably harder to get help if you run into problems.
Actually I have to revise that statement. I had nothing but problem with the previous container/build system used (Vagrant) but the new one introduced with Proton 7 using podman is so much better I think it is preferred to a manual Wine build.

Anyhow, I also prepared a custom Proton with the patch from bug 9378 applied. I tried it with the game demo and it works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hroauuikuhf5td/Proton-7.0-Andriko-1.zip?dl=0

(Obviously downloading and running software handed to you by random weirdos on the Internet is not recommended! No hard feelings if you prefer to build it yourself! :) )

I downloaded the custom Proton (Proton-7.0-Andriko-1.zip) but I am a total idiot with Linux and I am trying to get Combat Mission running on my Steam Deck. Can anyone tell me how to incorporate this version of Proton into my list on the Steam Deck. Previously I've been using ProtonUp-Qt to install various GE-Proton versions (which has been amazing, since it makes a lot of formerly-unplayable games work very well).

Is there some way to use ProtonUp-Qt to install this Proton-7.0-Andriko-1 into my list of available Proton versions? That way I can specify that Combat Mission (and only Combat Mission!) uses this version.

I realize I am a complete idiot when it comes to Linux, so forgive me if my question is stupid/obvious. Any help you can provide would be highly appreciated. The Steam Deck has made me a big fan of Linux + Proton so far! Many of the Windows games (especially older ones) run a lot *better* under Proton than under Windows itself.
whizse Oct 21, 2022
Quoting: Kondor999Is there some way to use ProtonUp-Qt to install this Proton-7.0-Andriko-1 into my list of available Proton versions? That way I can specify that Combat Mission (and only Combat Mission!) uses this version.

I realize I am a complete idiot when it comes to Linux, so forgive me if my question is stupid/obvious. Any help you can provide would be highly appreciated. The Steam Deck has made me a big fan of Linux + Proton so far! Many of the Windows games (especially older ones) run a lot *better* under Proton than under Windows itself.
I haven't tried ProtonUp-Qt so I'm not sure if that is an option or not.

To install it manually you should essentially follow these instructions:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton#install-proton-locally

I think you can repeat pretty much all these steps with GUI file manager like Nautilus without any problems, but keep in mind that the .steam folder in your home directory starts with a dot so it's hidden by default.
Kondor999 Oct 21, 2022
Quoting: whizse
Quoting: Kondor999Is there some way to use ProtonUp-Qt to install this Proton-7.0-Andriko-1 into my list of available Proton versions? That way I can specify that Combat Mission (and only Combat Mission!) uses this version.

I haven't tried ProtonUp-Qt so I'm not sure if that is an option or not.

To install it manually you should essentially follow these instructions:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton#install-proton-locally

I think you can repeat pretty much all these steps with GUI file manager like Nautilus without any problems, but keep in mind that the .steam folder in your home directory starts with a dot so it's hidden by default.

Thank You! Wish me luck dude, I need to be plinking T-72's with my M60A2's while I'm on the toilet! ;)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.