Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Poll results: What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
I play a game for Windows on Wine, Proton, etc

24 vote(s)
45%
I try to use different libraries, padsp, aoss, etc on my current Linux distro

18 vote(s)
34%
I select a different game for Linux

7 vote(s)
13%
I use a different computer with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use an older computer even if it's the outdated Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use a virtual machine with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac using one of these two operating systems on a separated partition on the same computer

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac on a virtual machine

0 vote(s)
0%
gbudny Mar 25, 2022
Hi

I have to admit that sometimes I have issues with some games for Linux that can't sort it out. However, I usually find a way to run them on my current Linux distribution.

There are some situations when a game is so problematic that I have to use an old PC with an ancient Linux distribution. That is an acceptable solution to me. I stop when I have to use a virtual machine with Linux.

I'm curious about your approach when you can't run a game for Linux.

What is your last option from this list when you can't run a game for Linux?

The order of answers has changed after I voted, so please look at it before you make a choice:

I try to use different libraries, padsp, aoss, etc on my current Linux distro.

I use a different computer with a different Linux distribution.

I use an older computer even if it's the outdated Linux distribution.

I use a virtual machine with a different Linux distribution.

I select a different game for Linux.

I play a game for Windows on Wine, Proton, etc.

I play a game for Windows or Mac on a virtual machine.

I play a game for Windows or Mac using one of these two operating systems on a separated partition on the same computer.

Last edited by gbudny on 25 March 2022 at 2:34 pm UTC
PublicNuisance Mar 25, 2022
It depends on how badly I want to play it. I have hundreds of games on my backlog so most often I just move onto another native game. If it looks like an easy fix then I may try to troubleshoot.
GustyGhost Mar 25, 2022
My standards are high. Not only does it have to be native, but also open source / source available.

This is also a practical matter as I do not use x86 and if a game cannot be compiled for my architecture, then it basically doesn't exist, as far as I'm concerned.
Avehicle7887 Mar 25, 2022
My choice is "I play a game for Windows on Wine, Proton, etc."

Jupiter Hell is one such game for me and it's not the developer's fault. My distro is running an older version of GLIBC while the game requires a more recent one. The Windows version works fine with OpenGL rendering (doesn't run with Vulkan on Wine).

It's not a perfect solution but it works.

Last edited by Avehicle7887 on 25 March 2022 at 7:04 pm UTC
denyasis Mar 25, 2022
Yeah, I'm using proton for Dying Light. The native has some sort of graphical issue with my system.

Most of the older games I've played either have a engine reimplantation in Linux or I DosBox them. Most of my collection is post 2009, so I haven't had much in the way of problem.

I only have 1 system and don't multi boot or VM or anything. It's a little past my comfort zone.

Last edited by denyasis on 26 March 2022 at 2:11 pm UTC
whizse Mar 25, 2022
If it's a new game and I an be of help to the developer/porter or others I try to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

If it's an older title I'm usually lazy and just run the Windows version in Wine/Proton.
gbudny Mar 26, 2022
I thought that virtual machines would be more popular among Linux users.

In the past, some users booted to the other operating system when they had issues with games for Linux. I don't see it in this poll right now, which is weird.

I have three computers with four Linux distributions to play games from 1996 to 2022. I hope that I won't be the only one who uses Linux in this way.

I have low expectations about the quality of games for Linux because I understand it's impossible to keep them constantly updated.

@whizse
In my case, I'm not sure if it's laziness. Sometimes, I want to run the game for Linux and postpone the usage of tricks on my main computer with Linux.

Last edited by gbudny on 26 March 2022 at 2:40 am UTC
PublicNuisance Mar 26, 2022
Quoting: GustyGhostMy standards are high. Not only does it have to be native, but also open source / source available.

This is also a practical matter as I do not use x86 and if a game cannot be compiled for my architecture, then it basically doesn't exist, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm envious. I hope to have a Power9 system one day.
officernice Mar 26, 2022
I check the Arch wiki because it usually has the answer, if not I just try to search, and add it to the wiki. Had such a problem with the original Insurgency. However, it's been a loooooong time since I have had any problems with a native game.
dvd Mar 26, 2022
If it can't be solved with fiddling around with libs, i usually use a light container like whatever team has built in or conty. Not that i ran into any of those games in recent times, pretty much anything native i have seems like click and play on testing right now.

(i selected 'i use a virtual machine with a different linux distro' for lack of a better alternative)

Last edited by dvd on 26 March 2022 at 10:34 am UTC
gbudny Mar 26, 2022
Quoting: dvdIf it can't be solved with fiddling around with libs, i usually use a light container like whatever team has built in or conty. Not that i ran into any of those games in recent times, pretty much anything native i have seems like click and play on testing right now.

(i selected 'i use a virtual machine with a different linux distro' for lack of a better alternative)

Unfortunately, I didn't add this option, and I can't edit it.

At least everyone can read your comment about using a container instead of a virtual machine.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.