Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
Poll results: What do you do when you can't run a native game for Linux?
I play a game for Windows on Wine, Proton, etc

24 vote(s)
45%
I try to use different libraries, padsp, aoss, etc on my current Linux distro

18 vote(s)
34%
I select a different game for Linux

7 vote(s)
13%
I use a different computer with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use an older computer even if it's the outdated Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I use a virtual machine with a different Linux distribution

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac using one of these two operating systems on a separated partition on the same computer

1 vote(s)
2%
I play a game for Windows or Mac on a virtual machine

0 vote(s)
0%
g000h Mar 29, 2022
For me the answer is not 'this' or 'that' - It depends. I have taken part in the poll and my answer was "I would play a game for Windows on WINE/Proton", which is typically my solution when (1) The game *works* on WINE/Proton, (2) I already own the game, and (3) I specifically want to play *that* game.

This gives me the opportunity to mention a few things of interest, related to my overall position:

I'm quite disciplined with myself when it comes to making game purchases or deciding what I'll play. Gave developers are generally losing out, when they don't release a game natively on Linux - because I hold back from buying games if Linux is not supported. I held back *for years* on The Witcher 3, but eventually 'gave in to temptation' when it dropped to 80% off.

On the other side of the coin, I watched reviews of Early Access "Slay The Spire" and was captivated by the game play, and I was very keen to begin playing it as soon as I could. The cherry on top was that even though it was EA, the StS developers had a native Linux build. I got it at the full asking price and played and played that game, enthralled by it. (I was one of the early supporters giving a high-praise review early on in its production - and the Devs never let me down.)

Putting this into perspective, I was just as keen on Witcher 3 as I was on Slay The Spire - But without the native Linux capability, I just could not bring myself to part with the money.

It is quite similar when it comes to the games themselves. If I have two comparable titles *in my collection* but one is a native Linux build and one is Windows (Proton-capable) then I'll install and favour the Linux one. (I've got such a back-log to get through, ahem.)

Moving on to Windows-only Anti-Cheat games - I tend to avoid these like the plague. I do have a dual-boot system, but it is only for exceptional cases where I actually boot up Windows. No, I won't boot up Windows to play RUST. I still own the game and I liked playing it a lot, but it isn't *good enough* that I'm willing to boot up (spit) Windows in order to play it.
gbudny Mar 30, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Missing the use a cloud service option

Unfortunately, I forgot to add this option, and I can't edit it now.

I don't use it, so I can't say too much about them. It's an interesting concept to sort out all of the issues differently.

I understand why people use them, but I always preferred to have a game for Linux installed/unpacked on my computer.

Of course, everyone could have a different opinion about it.

Last edited by gbudny on 31 March 2022 at 4:51 am UTC
Mezron Apr 1, 2022
Quoting: gbudny
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Missing the use a cloud service option

Unfortunately, I forgot to add this option, and I can't edit it now.

I don't use it, so I can't say too much about them. It's an interesting concept to sort out all of the issues differently.

I understand why people use them, but I always preferred to have a game for Linux installed/unpacked on my computer.

Of course, everyone could have a different opinion about it.

I mainly use them for online only games. I see no reason for a ONLINE MP game to have hard drive space on my machines.
gbudny Apr 4, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606I mainly use them for online only games. I see no reason for a ONLINE MP game to have hard drive space on my machines.

Have you thought about using bigger and cheaper hard drives instead of SSDs for storing games on your computer?
Mezron Apr 6, 2022
[quote=gbudny]
Quoting: Arcadius-8606Have you thought about using bigger and cheaper hard drives instead of SSDs for storing games on your computer?

What do you mean? The games that I own and play are small. The biggest game I own is 4 GB. I'm just not going to install an ONLINE ONLY game on my computer ever. It's browser based or nothing for me when it comes to those types of games.

Last edited by Mezron on 6 April 2022 at 2:08 am UTC
gbudny Apr 9, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606What do you mean? The games that I own and play are small. The biggest game I own is 4 GB. I'm just not going to install an ONLINE ONLY game on my computer ever. It's browser based or nothing for me when it comes to those types of games.

I thought that also you don't have enough space to keep more games on your computer.

I decided to keep my two old hard drives in my main computer, which means 4 Terabytes only for games. In this case, I don't have to bother about how many games I installed on them.

I use an SSD for daily tasks and storing documents or other smaller files, but I'm cheap, so this SSD is only 500 GB.

Last edited by gbudny on 10 April 2022 at 2:22 am UTC
g000h Apr 10, 2022
Quoting: gbudnyI use an SSD for daily tasks and storing documents or other smaller files, but I'm cheap, so this SSD is only 500 GB.

In a similar vein, I decided to buy a 240GB SSD to use on my Raspberry Pi 4 (over usb3) and it only cost £22 ($28 USD). Although it adds to the overall size of the Pi unit, the performance and reliability benefits far outweigh running with an SD card.
Mezron Apr 11, 2022
Quoting: gbudnyI thought that also you don't have enough space to keep more games on your computer.

I decided to keep my two old hard drives in my main computer, which means 4 Terabytes only for games. In this case, I don't have to bother about how many games I installed on them.

I use an SSD for daily tasks and storing documents or other smaller files, but I'm cheap, so this SSD is only 500 GB.

ah. I have plenty of SSDs. I get a good deal of them for free from business going belly up around me and with Microcenter near by. I have over 15 500 GB SSDs that were free from Microcenter alone when they mail out those Yellowclip coupons. A ton of free SD and 32 GB Flash thumb drives too.

I don't own many games. My entire collection combine it under 40 GB.

My main rig is a Raspberry Pi 4 - 8 GB. It's attached to 250 GB SSD and has a 1TB SD installed.

Quoting: g000hIn a similar vein, I decided to buy a 240GB SSD to use on my Raspberry Pi 4 (over usb3) and it only cost £22 ($28 USD). Although it adds to the overall size of the Pi unit, the performance and reliability benefits far outweigh running with an SD card.

Yes once you mount a SSD on your Raspberry Pi 4 you no longer suffer from all kinds of issues like the web video slow loading. Though I will say that Odroid XU4 has a better performance on SD by a long mile.

Last edited by Mezron on 11 April 2022 at 1:25 pm UTC
Cyril Apr 12, 2022
Quoting: Arcadius-8606
Quoting: gbudnyHave you thought about using bigger and cheaper hard drives instead of SSDs for storing games on your computer?

What do you mean? The games that I own and play are small. The biggest game I own is 4 GB. I'm just not going to install an ONLINE ONLY game on my computer ever. It's browser based or nothing for me when it comes to those types of games.

But, why? I don't understand.

Last edited by Cyril on 12 April 2022 at 7:40 pm UTC
Mezron Apr 13, 2022
Quoting: CyrilBut, why? I don't understand.

If a game is ONLINE only, why should I put it on my HD and deal with the space issues for a game that is dead to me when I am offline?

Chances are also that an online only game has DRM or anti-cheat....If it's that bad out here put it in the cloud and call it a day.

Last edited by Mezron on 13 April 2022 at 7:25 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.