Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Switching CPU type. Do I have to prepare/change initramfs?
peta77 Apr 4, 2022
Hi.

So I will be changing some of my hardware soon which actually only is a switch from intel-CPU to AMD-CPU.
As I don't want to re-install everything, just re-use my current Linux installation, I'm asking myself if I need to do something to make sure it's working. As all CPUs need some microcode to be able to run properly and this is usually included in the initramfs, do I have to add that beforehand for AMD-CPUs? Currently included is "kernel/x86/microcode/GenuineIntel.bin" but nothing for AMD.
Web-search has returned confusing results so far: extend initramfs, do nothing, remove all microcode from initramfs, etc. ...

So, does anyone here have experience with that? Any advice on what to do, what not to do and what to pay special attention?
This topic has an answer marked - jump to answer.
Liam Dawe Apr 4, 2022
I just did the same, Intel to Ryzen, changed nothing - all fine.
peta77 Apr 4, 2022
That sounds perfect, that's exactly what I wished for.
Thanks Liam.
mr-victory Apr 4, 2022
There may be microcode for AMD CPUs in repositories. Apart from installing that, I wouldn't much bother.
WorMzy Apr 4, 2022
You shouldn't need to reinstall everything, but if openSUSE 'optimises' the initrd by stripping out unneeded modules for your current hardware (mkinitcpio on Arch has the 'autodetect' hook for this), you may need to boot a 'fallback' initrd which includes all modules.
peta77 Apr 4, 2022
Quoting: mr-victoryThere may be microcode for AMD CPUs in repositories. Apart from installing that, I wouldn't much bother.

Thx for the reminder... Checked, it's there and it is already installed... SuSE seems to install it by default...

Quoting: WorMzyYou shouldn't need to reinstall everything, but if openSUSE 'optimises' the initrd by stripping out unneeded modules for your current hardware (mkinitcpio on Arch has the 'autodetect' hook for this), you may need to boot a 'fallback' initrd which includes all modules.

Well openSuSE does some kind of filtering (as it only includes intel-ucode, not the amd one)... but it does seem to include pretty much all kernel modules...

So - just in case - how do I create a fallback and pack all necessary stuff in it, and how and where do I specify it?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.