Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Rise of the Tomb Raider SIGABRT(6) with Vega56 on Fedora 35/36
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Free_gamer May 20, 2022
Quoting: ripper81358On Ubuntu you can add this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa

to optain the latest stable version of the MESA drivers. AMDVLK should not be installed since it is not supported by Valve or any gamedeveloper. It is also inferior in performance and will most likely cause more issues than MESA RADV.

Sadly this is all the advice i can give you, since i have no experience with eGPU setups.

Hi there, thanks for the link. I didn't know that ppa. What is the difference to the padoka one?
I've only tried the amdvlk driver as a test to see if the problem is with the radv driver because other GPUs still work with the game.

Quoting: whizse"basic_filebuf::underflow error reading the file" - would be interesting to strace the launcher and see what file exactly it's trying to read before the SIGABRT.

I'll try to see if I get it to make a sensible log file by adapting the launch script. So far from my tries in steam it either quits to quick, or it logs way too much before it even starts the game.
ripper81358 May 20, 2022
Quoting: Free_gamer
Quoting: ripper81358On Ubuntu you can add this ppa:
https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa

to optain the latest stable version of the MESA drivers. AMDVLK should not be installed since it is not supported by Valve or any gamedeveloper. It is also inferior in performance and will most likely cause more issues than MESA RADV.

Sadly this is all the advice i can give you, since i have no experience with eGPU setups.

Hi there, thanks for the link. I didn't know that ppa. What is the difference to the padoka one?
I've only tried the amdvlk driver as a test to see if the problem is with the radv driver because other GPUs still work with the game.

Quoting: whizse"basic_filebuf::underflow error reading the file" - would be interesting to strace the launcher and see what file exactly it's trying to read before the SIGABRT.

I'll try to see if I get it to make a sensible log file by adapting the launch script. So far from my tries in steam it either quits to quick, or it logs way too much before it even starts the game.

The Kisak ppa will give you access to the latest stable MESA release while the oibaf ppa hosts the latest developmentrelease of MESA. Padoka ppa seems outdated right now.

Kisak ppa adds support for the latest stable MESA build usually within a few days after release. It delivers exactly the kind of driversupport that is missing through the standard Ubunturepos and very much needed for a gamingsystem using an Intel or AMD GPU.
Free_gamer May 24, 2022
Just as a small update, I just got an email from Feral that they were able to reproduce the problem and are working on a fix.

QuoteHI David,

Just to update you - we have reproduced the issue on a similar setup and are working on a hotfix. I'll let you know when I have further information, hopefully by the end of this week.

Best regards,

name redacted
Feral Interactive Support
Free_gamer May 27, 2022
Another update :D

Just got a message from Feral again, they've created a beta channel for the game and when choosing this version the launcher opens also shows the AMD card. And judging from the in-game benchmark, everything looks perfect :)

QuoteHi David,

We now have a beta version of an update available, which we'd like you to try to see if it works around the issues you have seen.

Please carry out the following steps:

Right click the game in your Steam library
Select Properties
In the new window, select the Betas tab
In the dropdown, select "linux_vulkan_fix"
The update will download and install.

Please let us know if this helps.

Best regards,

Feral Interactive Support
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.