Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Crossfire: Legion is out and plays pretty well under Proton
ElamanOpiskelija May 24, 2022
This strategy game, which I had my eyes on since I played Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, came out I think today.

In ProtonDB, there was already a positive report, so it meant a scientific enough justification to spend my hard-earned piles of Linux money on this Windows native title.

As I perceive it to be my duty, I shall be... uh... beta-testing this title and.. euh... report back on my very scientific findings.

So far the campaign looks quite good, the art style reminds me of Deserts of Kharak, which was also very good looking. If I remember correctly, these are often illustrations made on top of live actors / scenarios.
PlayX May 25, 2022
for me most videos doesn't work (menu background, campain videos or the preview videos for the cards) and I tested proton 7.0, Experimental and GE-7-18.
The game itself runs good, but the missing videos is a gamebreaker at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0wE0YWO-0o

Last edited by PlayX on 26 May 2022 at 12:02 am UTC
ElamanOpiskelija May 26, 2022
Quoting: PlayXThe game itself runs good, but the missing videos is a gamebreaker at the moment

OK I have watched all the campaign videos here. I am running Ubuntu 21 (I know, time to update to 22), XFCE desktop (XFCE has solved some most windowing problems with my games), default Steam settings, I am not using any custom Proton settings.

It will be a gamebreaker in the future, I would say the strong point of these guys (BBI) are their animations that they make often based on live actors, as they were in Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak. The few cinematics that are there, are very good.

However, there is very little game to break right now: to give you an idea, I completed the campaign in about 1,5 hours. For comparison, I completed the Homeworld campaign in 11,5 hours. Clearly there has been very little focus on the campaign so far. My understanding is that two thirds of the campaign are missing. Even then, it seems to be a much shorter campaign overall.

My general impression is that this game is looking for a crowd like Planetary Annihilation: mostly multiplayer, little single-player experience to speak of (Planetary Annihilation videos have never worked for me, and that is a native linux game).
aarjav Jun 12, 2022
Need to be updated on several points. But it's quite fun even if 1/2 you come across big rushers.

Last edited by aarjav on 14 September 2023 at 3:12 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.