Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Killer Apps/Games on the Steam Deck which delivers a stunning and outstanding experience
HerrLange 28 May
I'm now enjoying my steam deck a bit more then two months and still searching for the ultimate Deck games and experience.

Just some context to my situation and motivation for this thread:
I have 420 titles in my steam library where about 250 are offered as steamos/linux compatible. I have to admit that in the past 10 years I only bought games that would run under linux natively or have at least a stable gold or platinum rating.

When I received my Steam Deck end of March/2022 only ~30 titles from my library were marked as "optimized for Steam Deck". In the meanwhile it's about 46 games and the number grows every week. While the growth is very positive ans I asume more to come I can still only play <10% of my steam library in an optimal way. So in the end number of games is currently limited.

I really like the Steam Deck, the OS/Linux on it. The steam integration is awesome and ux feels better than a switch or a PS. The device is really cool and outstanding in many ways. But - and here comes my issue - most of the games marked as "optimized" does not feel well suited to me. Just to make it clear: It is me, not the Device. I have issues with nearly any kind of 1st person action games like Half Live or Serious Sam as I'm used to play them with keyboard/wasd and mouse. I cannot get used to play such games with a gamepad. Again, the games runs great on the device. But from this kind of game only Portal 2 is kind of ok-ish in my perception. Any other ego/action games where precision combined with quick reactions is required deliver a really bad gaming experience to me. As explained above the number of excellent playable gemas is still limited and shrinks further due to my personal limitation which I unfortunately cannot ignore. (Still wondering how people only having a PS/xbox play those kind of games)

Therefore I would like to get feedback from other users and what games delivering a stunning, outstanding and extraordinary gaming experience in their eyes. Especially as I'm willing to spend money for getting more games on the deck as I really like it.

What do you think? Do you have the same UX as I have? Do you have any awesome experince/game to share?

So here comes my hitlist of games that felt really awesome to me. The games sometimes made even more fun on the deck than on my actual desktop PC:

My Awesome List
1. Wreckfest
2. Defense Grid 2
3. Death Road to Canada
4. Brütal Legend

My could be great but is technically not working 100% list
  • Bud Spencer & Terence Hill - Slaps and Beans -> game runs well and the controller is supported but there is no sound at all. With sound it would be on the awesome list
  • Nantucket -> game does not start due to a library issue; no longer starts on my desktop PC either

Game runs well but my gaming experience is negative
  • Half Live 2
  • Metro Exodus
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Serious Sam (can't remember which one)
  • Dying Light
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Games I tried that run well but were just ok
  • Portal 2
  • Goat Simulater
  • Bridge Constructor

Next I plan to try out Hitman, Shodow of Mordor, Beholder

Last edited by HerrLange on 28 May 2022 at 9:47 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.