Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
GOG games on real hardware?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
The first build makes me absolutely hate all other computers. It is so clean inside and small! NLX should be modernised...
denyasis Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlIt's possible their hacks for removing CD requests have some OS specific paths that aren't working on Windows 98 :)

My guess, including the CD as some sort of virtual drive as part of the install works fine in a modern OS, but is detectable by the DRM in the old OS.

I had the same thing when I first switched to Linux and tried to play Morrowind. Copying the CD to a directory and calling it the CD drive in Wine; worked fine. Trying that in 98 or XP; no go.

I had to do it that way b/c I didn't know how to get wine to use my real CD drive with the disk in it! Lol. Still have my Morrowind disks (all 5) packed away some where.
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: denyasis
Quoting: ShmerlIt's possible their hacks for removing CD requests have some OS specific paths that aren't working on Windows 98 :)

My guess, including the CD as some sort of virtual drive as part of the install works fine in a modern OS, but is detectable by the DRM in the old OS.

I had the same thing when I first switched to Linux and tried to play Morrowind. Copying the CD to a directory and calling it the CD drive in Wine; worked fine. Trying that in 98 or XP; no go.

I had to do it that way b/c I didn't know how to get wine to use my real CD drive with the disk in it! Lol. Still have my Morrowind disks (all 5) packed away some where.
Can't say back then, but these days wine properly supports CD Checks, my original copy of Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Mythdrannor just needs to be mounted with Nautilus/Dolphin then the game will launch.
Shmerl Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: denyasisMy guess, including the CD as some sort of virtual drive as part of the install works fine in a modern OS, but is detectable by the DRM in the old OS.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant above. The workaround just doesn't work on Windows 98 since it was never meant for it and there are differences with modern Windows obviously :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 June 2022 at 10:00 pm UTC
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: denyasisMy guess, including the CD as some sort of virtual drive as part of the install works fine in a modern OS, but is detectable by the DRM in the old OS.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant above. The workaround just doesn't work on Windows 98 since it was never meant for it and there are differences with modern Windows obviously :)

There certainly are some games they sell where they use a 'crack'. Like the manual look up ones, usually.

On that note, I kind of miss code wheels, they were rather fun! I think I still have mine from the Atari ST's version of Another World... I know I got the code wheel with my Bard's Tale IV copy... I should get around to playing through those...
Shmerl Jun 21, 2022
I think even Dune 2 game has some manual focused questions like that.
denyasis Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: Shmerl

You're right. I think I over thought or misunderstood. For some reason my brain went straight to hardlinking or unusual system calls that didn't exist back then lol. Sorry bout that.
Hamish Jun 21, 2022
When using WINE I typically just mount the ripped backup disc image I make for most of my games with CDEmu and it works like a treat.
slaapliedje Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlI think even Dune 2 game has some manual focused questions like that.

My favorite was Leisure Suit Larry (3 I know for sure, can't recall on the others) would just ask you 'adult' questions. I was a smart kid, so could guess the answers most of the time. Too bad I grew into a dumb adult. 😜
Shmerl Jun 21, 2022
Quoting: HamishWhen using WINE I typically just mount the ripped backup disc image I make for most of my games with CDEmu and it works like a treat.

I think there is some issue with hybrid disks that have audio (those aren't normal disks). There is no good way to handle them? If it's just data, you don't even need any ISOs/mounting, just designate some location as a "drive" in winecfg, set its type to CD-ROM there and it would work nicely.

Last edited by Shmerl on 21 June 2022 at 11:36 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.