Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone with no article paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Bomberland (Commodore 64 homebrew)
Pengling 26 Jun
Bomberland poster, in miniature

I've just been checking out Bomberland, which is a Bomberman clone for the Commodore 64 - a system that didn't get an official Bomberman game (or "Dynablaster", as it would've been in the UK back then) back in the day. Trailer here.

It's available as a free download from the publisher's Itch.io page, as either just the C64 files, or those files bundled with the VICE C64 emulator for various OSes - Linux included. Both zip-files include a ".crt" cartridge file of the game, a disk-image for saving to, and goodies like PDFs of the manual, a poster, a sheet for writing down level-passwords, and a "Monster Sheet" that showcases all of the game's enemies in the style of trading-cards, which is nice.

Bomberland screenshot

Unsurprisingly, it plays like you'd expect a Bomberman-style game to play, and it has obvious influences from the well-loved SNES installments (and nice animations to match). There are some neat little touches that might throw existing Bomberman fans off-guard, too, including enemies spawning from Skull panels if you blow them up (something harmless that you would usually instinctively do to get these power-down items out of your way), which I haven't seen before in any of the official titles that I've played. The music is great too, with remixes of familiar tunes run through the distinctive SID chip.

It has a 36-level single-player mode, and also offers the iconic battle-mode for up to five players (four on joysticks through a multi-tap, plus one using the keyboard) though I haven't gotten to try that out and I don't know if it's supported under emulation.

For a freebie, this is a really nice game. Apparently it was a long-running passion-project, and it shows.
Awesome I just downloaded it will give it a shot later.....

Cant go wrong with Bomberman....

Thanks for the info :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: Liberapay or PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.