Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Use Linux on a computer with a PowerPC processor
chadhughes Jul 5, 2022
Hi

I'm wondering what options Linux users have if they would like to use Linux on a computer with a PowerPC processor:

- IBM server
- Amiga computer
- Raptors motherboards
- Pegasos
- old Mac

The last two options aren't useful in 2022 because these computers are too old. On the other hand, Amiga computers and Raptors motherboards are quite pricy. We still have old IBM servers for Linux, but they are completely useless for current versions of AIX.

Do you know other options?
levellord Jul 5, 2022
Hi,

You might want to look into the Sam460LE board, but do a research first before ordering if Linux can be installed. From what I know, it was possible on Sam440 boards.

Cheers!
mr-victory Jul 5, 2022
PlayStation 3 can run Linux and BSD. It is not the greatest system for 2022 though.
PublicNuisance Jul 5, 2022
The Talos II would be probably the most well known and best supported option. As you mentioned they're pricey but that doesn't mean they aren't the best option.
darcksama Jul 5, 2022
could you tell me how old are these old pecs? depending on age I can recommend a good linux
GustyGhost Jul 6, 2022
The cheaper Raptor CS option, their Blackbird mainboard, should be back in production eventually. Or if you need more affordable you can probably grab up some older POWER8 gear like this Tyan but the form factor is irregular.
StevenJackson Jul 21, 2022
I am using MintPPC for my computer. I think it is the best PowerPC processor and I will also recommend you to buy it. If you don't have enough money then you can visit on this homepage where you will find links to those sites through which you can earn money. I also use online real money gaming site to earn money.

Last edited by StevenJackson on 29 July 2022 at 7:06 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.