Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
ITX GPU into "Normal Sized" Case?
TimeFreeze Jul 21, 2022
Hey, so right now i have an GTX 750 TI, and i was planning on getting an RX6400 since i assume the performance jump will be huge in comparison. But since i'm not good with Hardware in general i have no idea: Can i insert an ITX GPU into an ATX? Case without issues? I ask since pretty much every RX6400 GPU has ITX in its name.
damarrin Jul 21, 2022
ITX is a motherboard form factor, it has nothing to do with GPUs.
TimeFreeze Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: damarrinITX is a motherboard form factor, it has nothing to do with GPUs.

So i can plug it in just fine and dont have to worry? Since my main concern is that it wont "fit" where you have to screw the backplate? in, you know where you connect the cable from your monitor and such.
x_wing Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: TimeFreeze
Quoting: damarrinITX is a motherboard form factor, it has nothing to do with GPUs.

So i can plug it in just fine and dont have to worry? Since my main concern is that it wont "fit" where you have to screw the backplate? in, you know where you connect the cable from your monitor and such.

Can you share the GPU model? My guess is that it's a low profile version, but sometimes those cards have the "high profile" attachment so they can be used anywhere. For example this Sapphire model.

Last edited by x_wing on 21 July 2022 at 8:19 pm UTC
whizse Jul 21, 2022
I can't see why any ITX cards wouldn't fit on a normal ATX motherboard, they just seem to be a shorter version.

The question is why go with such a model? I would imagine they would be noisier and run hotter with a single fan and smaller heatsink?
TimeFreeze Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: x_wing
Quoting: TimeFreeze

Can you share the GPU model? My guess is that it's a low profile version, but sometimes those cards have the "high profile" attachment so they can be used anywhere. For example this Sapphire model.

Well pretty much any version i see has ITX in its name but to name a few: MSI Radeon RX 6400 Aero , ASRock Challenger , PowerColor has 2 versions one with LowProfile and one with ITX in its name. The MSI and ASRock ones for example both have ITX in their names and nothing with LowProfile.
TimeFreeze Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: whizseI can't see why any ITX cards wouldn't fit on a normal ATX motherboard, they just seem to be a shorter version.

The question is why go with such a model? I would imagine they would be noisier and run hotter with a single fan and smaller heatsink?

First off my main concern is about the Case and not the motherboard. Unless of course the back thing where you screw the GPU is from the motherboard. And to why i want to go with such a model, well first i only find "ITX" models of the RX 6400. Unless there are "normal" models of that card. And most importantly because the card does not require an external power source. Since i just want to plug it into the board and be done with it.
x_wing Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: TimeFreezeWell pretty much any version i see has ITX in its name but to name a few: MSI Radeon RX 6400 Aero , ASRock Challenger , PowerColor has 2 versions one with LowProfile and one with ITX in its name. The MSI and ASRock ones for example both have ITX in their names and nothing with LowProfile.

I see... well, the ones with ITX in their name are definitely not low profile nor slim cards (I was expecting that ITX was used as one slot card feature, but the fan is using two slots :/). IMO, they should work fine in your ATX mobo
whizse Jul 21, 2022
Can't see the case being a problem either, ITX cases are obviously smaller than their ATX counterparts. So unless you installed your ATX motherboard in your current case using an angle grinder it should fit :)

I would be very surprised if the "front" measurements of any PCIE peripheral would differ much.
TimeFreeze Jul 21, 2022
Well then i'm gonna buy probably the MSI 6400 Aero next week. Since my current 750 TI GPU is also from MSI. And i hope everything works out. Thanks for all the answers!
denyasis Jul 21, 2022
Quoting: x_wing
Quoting: TimeFreezeWell pretty much any version i see has ITX in its name but to name a few: MSI Radeon RX 6400 Aero , ASRock Challenger , PowerColor has 2 versions one with LowProfile and one with ITX in its name. The MSI and ASRock ones for example both have ITX in their names and nothing with LowProfile.

I see... well, the ones with ITX in their name are definitely not low profile nor slim cards (I was expecting that ITX was used as one slot card feature, but the fan is using two slots :/). IMO, they should work fine in your ATX mobo

Agreed. Looking at the model you mentioned with ITX in it's title makes me think it's for ITX cases (but not low profile). One of the more annoying things when building ITX gaming systems is that many "gaming" oriented parts are too big. Particularly GPU's and CPU coolers. GPU's can be the worst as many are too long (back plate to front of PCB) or are too tall (cool heatsink pipes and oversized fans).

I've run into this frustration a lot. Looking at the dimensions on the RX 6400, I think it's intended to avoid that dilemma by being, well, not oversized.

I like it doesn't need extra power cables! I'm a sucker for neat internals, lol.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.