How did you get into Linux gaming?
Page: «4/7»
  Go to:
rojimboo Aug 9, 2022
Some Linux gamer talked down to me on Steam forums and said I "did not have the faculty" to use Linux and dismissed me.

Basically someone dared me, and I was like

"hold my beer"

;)
slaapliedje Aug 9, 2022
I was a Linux user before I became a Linux Gamer. Back when the only games for it were things like Xbill and solitaire!
tfk Aug 9, 2022
Quoting: rojimbooSome Linux gamer talked down to me on Steam forums and said I "did not have the faculty" to use Linux and dismissed me.

"hold my beer"

;)

Yeah. That was me. I thought you needed a push...
slaapliedje Aug 9, 2022
Quoting: tfkCame from C64, the DOS/Win3.11 and later Win95 on a Packard Bell 486SX 25 Mhz. My first PC that I owned myself was an Escom Pentiun 60 with Windows 95. After that I got an IBM Aptiva Pentium 200 MMX. I believe that one also ran Win95 but I upgraded to 98 at that time. After that I ran AMD systems. First a Duron and after that an Athlon. Those were Win 2000 machines.

And I believe there is where my interest in Linux started. I have used Mandrake Linux KDE for the longest time but also used Suse but switched to Fedora when it released. Still using it today.

It was a hobby to compile KDE and installing it on a bare system. Also did a gentoo install for fun. But most of the time I was busy getting games to run through WINE. Spent hours on winehq analyzing other people's logs and adding mine.

Dual booted with windows, first 7, then 10, for a while to test things out before trying them under Linux.

Then came Proton along and I found that I just wasn't booting into Windows anymore. So I decided to reclaim the space.

I bought back many of my old computers, as well as others I could never own, because they are retro now. At this time I have three C64s, an Amiga500, Sgi Indy, Dell XPS 720, PS3 slim, Nintendo WII, and an IBM Aptiva AMDK6-2. The last one was in an unused state and I couldn't pass it up.

So technically I still run windows in a way, just not on my main machines.
Ha, sounds similar to my timeline of computers, though I started with the Atari 800XL + 1050 Floppy drive, then inherited a Heath Zenith with a green monochrome screen... but then upgraded to an Atari Mega STe, which I had for quite a few years, until we got a Pentium 75 (which I soon after overclocked to 100mhz) Packard Bell that was a piece of crap... but I never suffered through the 8086-486 era until recently I decided I wanted to play with them...

Really started using Linux a while before Windows 98 was released. First distribution I really liked was Debian 1.3, and I kind of stuck with it since. Well, Debian anyhow, not 1.3 :P
slaapliedje Aug 9, 2022
Quoting: tfk
Quoting: rojimbooSome Linux gamer talked down to me on Steam forums and said I "did not have the faculty" to use Linux and dismissed me.

"hold my beer"

;)

What always cracks me up on the Steam Forums is the people who have absolutely zero interest in whether or not a game gets a native port, yet always goes into every 'please release a native port for Linux/macOS' thread and insists that the developers should only concentrate on servicing them and Windows... as if they get physically ill at the thought that people who use other operating systems should be able to enjoy a game...
tfk Aug 9, 2022
Quoting: slaapliedje

"hold my beer"

;)

What always cracks me up on the Steam Forums is the people who have absolutely zero interest in whether or not a game gets a native port, yet always goes into every 'please release a native port for Linux/macOS' thread and insists that the developers should only concentrate on servicing them and Windows... as if they get physically ill at the thought that people who use other operating systems should be able to enjoy a game...

Yeah. Uhm. Above post was a joke BTW.

Anyways, those users probably don't realize that we wouldn't be where we are now weren't it for Proton.
slaapliedje Aug 9, 2022
Quoting: slaapliedje

"hold my beer"

;)

Yeah. Uhm. Above post was a joke BTW.

Anyways, those users probably don't realize that we wouldn't be where we are now weren't it for Proton.
Oh, I took it as such :P

And Proton wouldn't be where it was if it were not for the decades of development on Wine. I remember when Wine could barely run notepad. It has come along a LONG way. But native and supported would still be a more favored choice for most than a Proton wrapped and supported by Valve.
denyasis Aug 10, 2022
Quoting: BlackBloodRumBut I can't help but wonder if sometimes smartphones and easy "do it for you" tech is doing more harm than good. I learned so much having to do things the hard way that so many new generations simply don't have to learn since they can just tap a button and it's done for them automatically.

What happens when all us old folk are gone? Who will retain that knowledge?

Every generation thinks that of the following generations. It's Progress, in a way. It's natural to want a better life for our children, but to also be annoyed(?) by the better quality of life we've given them. And yes, with Great changes in our technology and society, we have to adapt how we teach and learn and new things come and old things phase out.

That doesn't mean the challenges aren't there or aren't any less difficult. Just new. After all, it would say much about our generation if we couldn't conquer our own and pushed it down to our kids, wouldn't it?
StoneColdSpider Aug 10, 2022
Quoting: BlackBloodRumMaturity? Older, sure. Sure I'm 31, but not necessarily mature. I'm still the same old pirate drinking rum that I was in my teens

I wouldn't call myself mature. Old? Yup. Mature? Nope.

Although, in principle I agree that many younger generations are using Facebook, Tiktok etc all from their smartphones.

Meanwhile I'm not using those platforms and only pick up my smartphone when I get a phone call or text (Sometimes, I don't even pick it up for a text if it's via signal, I just launch signal on my desktop instead to read and reply to messages ). My GrapheneOS phone can last 2-3 days without a charge since the screen is so rarely turned on

Im in almost the same boat as you..... I am in my 40's and I am still as mature as I was in my teens..... I never stopped being the class clown as you can tell from my stupid one liners I post in the news articles...

My old dumb phone never leaves the house...... When I leave the house I want to be disconnected from the Internet and the people who are not physically around me.... And being harder to track is an added bonus...... I spend enough time on the internet sitting in front of either my Desktop PC doing my own thing or the companies laptop working from home (the laptop still uses Windows.... But its not my laptop so I cant touch it).....

I have never used Facebook or Twitter or Instragram or any of that social media crap..... 1. because I dont have any friends so I never got peer pressured into it (which I think is how it became so popular) and 2. My life is so boring even Randy Newman couldnt be bothered to sing a song about it so why would I want to bore anyone else with it???....... The added bonus is that my job is always safe since there are no old tweets or facebooks posts to drag up from years ago to get me cancelled......

As for passing on my knoweledge.... Well theres not much to pass on..... And even if there was there is no one to really pass it on to.... I have no kids and never want any...... And because of that ive been single for nearly 20 years......

You cant teach an old dog new tricks....... But you can them new stupid one liners and a new operating system...... I am living proof of that
slaapliedje Aug 10, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Quoting: BlackBloodRumMaturity? Older, sure. Sure I'm 31, but not necessarily mature. I'm still the same old pirate drinking rum that I was in my teens

I wouldn't call myself mature. Old? Yup. Mature? Nope.

Although, in principle I agree that many younger generations are using Facebook, Tiktok etc all from their smartphones.

Meanwhile I'm not using those platforms and only pick up my smartphone when I get a phone call or text (Sometimes, I don't even pick it up for a text if it's via signal, I just launch signal on my desktop instead to read and reply to messages ). My GrapheneOS phone can last 2-3 days without a charge since the screen is so rarely turned on

Im in almost the same boat as you..... I am in my 40's and I am still as mature as I was in my teens..... I never stopped being the class clown as you can tell from my stupid one liners I post in the news articles...

My old dumb phone never leaves the house...... When I leave the house I want to be disconnected from the Internet and the people who are not physically around me.... And being harder to track is an added bonus...... I spend enough time on the internet sitting in front of either my Desktop PC doing my own thing or the companies laptop working from home (the laptop still uses Windows.... But its not my laptop so I cant touch it).....

I have never used Facebook or Twitter or Instragram or any of that social media crap..... 1. because I dont have any friends so I never got peer pressured into it (which I think is how it became so popular) and 2. My life is so boring even Randy Newman couldnt be bothered to sing a song about it so why would I want to bore anyone else with it???....... The added bonus is that my job is always safe since there are no old tweets or facebooks posts to drag up from years ago to get me cancelled......

As for passing on my knoweledge.... Well theres not much to pass on..... And even if there was there is no one to really pass it on to.... I have no kids and never want any...... And because of that ive been single for nearly 20 years......

You cant teach an old dog new tricks....... But you can them new stupid one liners and a new operating system...... I am living proof of that
Ha, trying to mess with himem.sys configuration on a DOS machine to squeeze a few more KB in the 640 space is entertaining to me, but younger people certainly just want their game or whatever to work...

I am pretty much in the same boat you are, but don't mind teaching others, and actually do have friends. 😜
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.