You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How much of a performance difference is there?
TimeFreeze Aug 10, 2022
So first off sorry if its the wrong Category.

Now to the question: Back when i had an GTX 750 TI i could play "most" of my games on Linux, most of the time with even lower settings than on Windows but hey. Now i own an RX 6600 and as far as i can tell it can run any current game on Highest Settings with "at least" 30FPS+. Thing is i only tested 2 games on Linux until i replaced my installation with Windows [dont grab the pitchfork just yet] because i "expected" a specific game to be finally "good" but funny enough i got the same performance as back with my 750TI and thought well might be a Linux issue so go to Windows. And....same crap performance turns out the game is just that "good" optimized. Anyway so far i'm "stuck" on Windows because i'll be honest first off i'm kinda lazy right now, and secondly so far every game runs with highest settings without issues. And since its the first time i have a GPU that can handle that i kinda "refuse" to turn the settings down. Thats why i'm "still" on Windows right now because i'm kinda scared that on Linux it wont work "as well", not that i need the "best" graphics or anything but hey when you can finally play games on the highest settings and not just on the lowest of lowest ones then you sure as hell want to do it right? Now that might be wrong since i only ever had Nvidia and i heard that AMD cards with Mesa run a ton better with same or sometimes even better performance than on Windows. Now long story short now to my question: Can i expect "same-ish" performance on Linux with the RX 6600? The only game i tested which worked without issues on Highest settings was Elden Ring. But i have no data for games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077, GTA 5, Deathloop, Hitman 3, Resident Evil Village, to name a few. All of them run either Highest Settings 60FPS or Highest Settings with stable 30FPS. Can i at least expect 30FPS stable on Linux with them for example?

Thanks in advance for any answer. Also sorry for the Wall of Text.
mr-victory Aug 10, 2022
1. No one can tell unless you try yourself
2. Usually difference between Linux and Windows is nowadays ±%15 FPS with leaning towards the positive side on AMD and a bit negative side on Nvidia, so performance shouldn't be much of a problem.
Unless you want ray tracing, then you can consider yourself lucky if you get %15 perf (no, I don't mean %15 decrease, I mean %15 itself) compared to no RT.
x_wing Aug 13, 2022
Hopefully this video is a good insight.
TimeFreeze Aug 13, 2022
Thanks for the answers! I have 2 more questions and before i create a new topic i'll just ask them here:

When i tried Linux with my new GPU, it was set default to Wayland and Steam was just so damn unresponsive and laggy and buggy. But the moment i switched to x11 everything was good. Is that "normal"? I thought Wayland works at least with AMD. And second question: I have heard about ACO which seems to make better performance when you have an AMD card. Is that already enabled by default or do you still have to use some command to get it running?
denyasis Aug 13, 2022
Depending on your distro and desktop environment, Wayland experience can vary. It's still a work in progress. I generally stick with X11 for gaming, for now.

Edit: sorry, can't spell

Last edited by denyasis on 14 August 2022 at 2:25 pm UTC
x_wing Aug 14, 2022
Quoting: TimeFreezeThanks for the answers! I have 2 more questions and before i create a new topic i'll just ask them here:

When i tried Linux with my new GPU, it was set default to Wayland and Steam was just so damn unresponsive and laggy and buggy. But the moment i switched to x11 everything was good. Is that "normal"? I thought Wayland works at least with AMD. And second question: I have heard about ACO which seems to make better performance when you have an AMD card. Is that already enabled by default or do you still have to use some command to get it running?

ACO is enabled by default since long ago.
TimeFreeze Aug 14, 2022
Great! Thanks again for the answers.
Thetargos Sep 1, 2022
About Wayland Vs X11: Steam itself still uses X11 (as do many games [native in particula] and for the most part wine [proton's backend]), how good or smooth things are depends on a particular distribution's support for both Wayland and XWayland (Wayland's X11 nesting or implementation) for some distros it may be very good (with recent enough packages, patches and the like) and for some it may be off (Steam acting unresponsive and clunky, while the rest of the environment working smoothly).
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.