Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Weekend Play List 8/14/22
itscalledreality Aug 14, 2022
What felt like the load of a lithe time, was now substantially heavier (a load of two lithe times) as you carefully swing your pack across your back. Walking never bothered you, not even long distances with a heavy pack; Neither did the heat nor the sweating. It was the magnificently orchestrated attack that the walking, the distances, the load, the heat, and the sweating placed on you. A small damp note with a scribbled and partially scratched list of appointments and errands rests in your hand.

"The skies are clear, no wind and the heat isn't bad." you said as you walked out the door, knowing full well the train tunnels would be muggy.

"It's nice to get out of the house." you thought just before leaving while adding another two items to an already long list.

"I'll clean after I run some errands, then end with some games after dinner. A good Sunday chore list to finish the week." you chagrined as you woke up this morning.

As you exit the shade into the searing sun for the septimal sequence you glance at the crumpled note in your reddened hand. A bead of sweat drips onto the far end of the note. Cleaning will have to wait until Monday.

Rules: share what games you’re playing, what non-gaming activities you’re entertaining this upcoming week.

———

I enjoy a nice relaxing Sunday before heading into the capitalism chaos ring for 5 days. However sometimes I find myself loading up my Sunday with chores...chores postponed from earlier in the week. I found myself wanting more vacation after my vacation. So I skirted my interests when I returned home last week. And since this is an unofficial gig it didn't make the cut for weekly duties.

The heat wave ended here recently but it made apartment hunting an absolute hellscape while it occurred. Talk about passing on places just because it's too hot to look at it. Plus the market is just insanely high. I hope this is the last of the sun searing for a while.

What have I been playing? Well I finally cracked into Elden Ring and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. What do I enjoy most? Is it the vast open world? Is it the exciting fast paced combat? The horse? I actually really enjoy having a real non-trivial jump button in a Dark Souls game. I also am enjoying how non-Soulsy the game can be. If Dark Souls 3 was any indication of how boring the formula was for the company (everything is gray) then Elden Ring is a break from the traditions holding the Souls-like genre back. Whatever that genre may be...Rougelike RPG?

I have also been dipping into Synthetik with a pal. Quite a unbalanced game at times or maybe we're just dreadfully bad. However the art and game play and options are quite interesting for now. It just hurts not to even pass the first few levels due to the RNG scaling sometimes.

I also installed Freespace 2 which is a game I bought at a K-Mart in my youth for $20. Only to bring it home to find our family home computer incredibly inadequate. I snatched it off of GOG and excitedly, installed, and... I can't get my mouse to work. I tried the mouse button in options. Le sigh.

Last edited by itscalledreality on 14 August 2022 at 11:51 pm UTC
StoneColdSpider Aug 15, 2022
Well its Monday here now....... Winter has really set in....... its been cloudy and raining all weekend...... Havnt been able to do much...... Been to wet to walk the dog..... And I hurt my back so im not able to play golf at the moment...... So was staying dry inside and was smashing the emulation software on the weekend..... I completed a hole heap of arcade and old console games I have either never played before at all or never completed...... Growing up I only had an Atari 2600 Junior and a not great PC....... As my parents couldnt afford a NES or SNES or Master System or Mega Drive..... So I missed out on a whole lot of games growing up.....

On the console front I completed

Castlevania (1986 Konami) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
Super Mario Bros. (All Starts Version 1993 Nintendo) - Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
Splatterhouse - Wanpaku Graffiti (English Patched) (1989 Namco)- Nintendo Entertainment System - Platformer
Strip Fighter II (1993 Games Express) - NEC PC Engine - Fighting
Dynamite Cop (1999 Sega)- Sega Dreamcast - Beat 'em up

On the Arcade font I completed

Contra (1987 Konami) - Run and Gun
Super Contra (1988 Konami) - Run and Gun
X-Men (1992 Konami) - Beat 'em up
Sexy Parodius (1996 Konami) - Shoot 'em up - Horizontal
Ghosts'n Goblins (1985 Capcom) - Platformer
J.J. Squawkers (1993 Athena) - Platformer

I started playing

Ghouls'n Ghosts (1988 Capcom) - Arcade - Platformer

But didnt finish it...... That part where you have to jump on the tongues and then the moving platforms and so on was just doing my head in so I gave up and played J. J. Squawkers instead.....

As for the upcoming week im going to continue to play through games..... I have text documents with lists of Arcade and Console games I want to complete and lists of games I have completed....

On the non games front hopfully the weather might clear so I can take the dog for a walk..... I also need to go see the physio to get my back sorted.... And of course work.... That never ends.....
Pengling Aug 15, 2022
There ended up being a "revival" Weekend Playlist post by denyasis in your absence this week, itscalledreality, so instead of repeating my post from there I'll just link to it here for brevity's sake.

Quoting: itscalledrealityI also installed Freespace 2 which is a game I bought at a K-Mart in my youth for $20. Only to bring it home to find our family home computer incredibly inadequate. I snatched it off of GOG and excitedly, installed, and... I can't get my mouse to work. I tried the mouse button in options. Le sigh.
There's an open engine for Freespace 2, called (aptly enough) FS2_Open - possibly worth a look, here?
StoneColdSpider Aug 15, 2022
Quoting: PenglingThere ended up being a "revival" Weekend Playlist post by denyasis in your absence this week, itscalledreality, so instead of repeating my post from there I'll just link to it here for brevity's sake.

Did Bomberman get his work done????
sourpuz Aug 15, 2022
Our heat wave (more a flood) is still in full swing, but it's finally supposed to cool off in the next few days. I have a new apartment, but I have to pack up for the move, which is not much more fun than apartment hunting. I've been visiting the family and did some BBQing, which was nice. Sadly, almost no time for gaming. But I'm in a bit of a slump, anyway, I don't know what to play :(
itscalledreality Aug 15, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzOur heat wave (more a flood) is still in full swing, but it's finally supposed to cool off in the next few days. I have a new apartment, but I have to pack up for the move, which is not much more fun than apartment hunting. I've been visiting the family and did some BBQing, which was nice. Sadly, almost no time for gaming. But I'm in a bit of a slump, anyway, I don't know what to play :(

Perfect time to pick something from the backlog that’s been ignored IMO.
sourpuz Aug 15, 2022
Quoting: itscalledrealityPerfect time to pick something from the backlog that’s been ignored IMO.

Ha, good point, it's not that I don't have a humongous backlog! I have the RPG itch again, I'll see what I can find. On the laptop I might finally gibe the Quest for Glory Series a try, seems to run nicely via ScummVM.
itscalledreality Aug 15, 2022
Quoting: PenglingThere's an open engine for Freespace 2, called (aptly enough) FS2_Open - possibly worth a look, here?

Aha, so the Lutris instructions are a bit confusing. First you install the GOG binary, then you visit Lutris.com for Freespace 2 and apply the FS2_Open patch. I think it’s working fine now. I completed the tutorials last night. Thanks!
Pengling Aug 15, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderDid Bomberman get his work done????
Hahaha! Well, I got a couple more wins in Super Bomberman R Online, so I guess so?

Quoting: itscalledrealityAha, so the Lutris instructions are a bit confusing. First you install the GOG binary, then you visit Lutris.com for Freespace 2 and apply the FS2_Open patch. I think it’s working fine now. I completed the tutorials last night. Thanks!
Good times - have fun!
denyasis Aug 17, 2022
Quoting: itscalledreality
Quoting: PenglingThere's an open engine for Freespace 2, called (aptly enough) FS2_Open - possibly worth a look, here?

Aha, so the Lutris instructions are a bit confusing. First you install the GOG binary, then you visit Lutris.com for Freespace 2 and apply the FS2_Open patch. I think it’s working fine now. I completed the tutorials last night. Thanks!

Don't forget the community built campaigns/mods (including an implementation of Freespace 1, which is really good). Some of them are a lot of fun!

Freespace 2, Tie fighter, and I-war 2 are probably my favorites for space piloting games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.