Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Computer names. Do you have a theme, and if so what is it?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Aug 21, 2022
That's hilarious! It's a shame he doesn't play ATS and more recent or you could have recommended one of my old[1] video game mods to him

[1] I don't make mods for that game anymore.
Pengling Aug 21, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAnd so now whenever I see a phone I always think of Misty and what happened that day...... And now every phone I will ever have from that point on will be named Misty.......
Oh my god, I had no idea what to expect from this story, and then I couldn't stop laughing! Thanks so much for sharing it! I think you win the thread, sir.

Last edited by Pengling on 21 August 2022 at 1:26 pm UTC
whizse Aug 21, 2022
Sure I do, I want to be RFC 1178 compliant!

Since whenever I have used character names from the Sluggy Freelance webcomic.

So far I have used:
  • zoe
  • torg
  • gwynn
  • riff
  • kiki
  • sasha
  • aylee
  • oasis
  • bunbun
  • squishydodo

whizse Aug 21, 2022
Quoting: CatKillerMy computers when I switched to Linux were called weatherwax, nanny, and garlick. Then I got a laptop called agnes. Then a NUC called kelda. My first Zen build is called wuyu, which Wikipedia informed me meant, "female shaman; sorceress; witch."

When I was at University, each computer room would have a naming theme: different trees, different flowers, and so on; I usually read my email in the Cheese Room.
Makes sense. I bet the systems in the other rooms would spew frequent Out Of Cheese errors.
Mezron Aug 22, 2022
Fictional Ships

Moya - Living Room HTPC
Dell Optiplex 7050 - OS: POP! OS 22.04 - CPU: i5-7500 @ 3.4 GHZ - RAM: 16 GB - HD: 256 GB SSD
It has a Logitech K400 that acts as its remote and two Atari VCS wireless controllers

Gaming setup - ReDream and itch.io

Weatherlight - My Computer Room - Work/Gaming - Laptop
System 76 Gazelle - OS: Pop! OS 22.04 - Video Card: 6 GB GDDR6 GTX 1660 Ti w/ 1536 CUDA Cores - CPU: i7-9750H (2.6 up to 4.5 GHz) - RAM: 16 GB - HD: 240 GB SSD

It has a keyboard and mouse that have no name brand from 5 and Below that light up (surprising strong since I've had them for years and easy to clean). Literally the box said 'Light Keyboard and Mouse'. It was meant to be a replacement but has been the main for some time now. Two Logitech F310 mounted to Cable Guy - Ryu and Chun-Li. Logitech Z200 speakers.

Gaming setup - ReDream, Steam, Stadia and itch.io

Argo - Wife's Main Computer - Work/Gaming - Desktop
Dell Optiplex 7050 - OS: POP! OS 22.04 - CPU: i5-7500 @ 3.4 GHZ - RAM: 16 GB - HD: 1 TB SSD
Inland Gaming Mouse GM-76 with a Dell KB522 Business Multimedia Keyboard

Gaming setup - Stadia and itch.io

Orville - Child's Main Computer - Gaming - Desktop
Dell Optiplex 9020 - OS: Ubuntu Mate 22.04 - Video Card: Radeon™ RX 550 4 GB - CPU ntel Core i7 i7-4770 3.40 GHz - RAM: 16 GB - HD: 1 TB SSD
Razer CYNOSA CHROMA and Inland Gaming Mouse GM-76 along with 2 Logitech F310 and 1 HORI Fighting Stick

Gaming setup - Steam, Lutris, Redream, Stadia and GeForce Now

Talon - Bed Room HTPC - Gaming/Multimedia - Desktop

Raspberry Pi 4 - 8 GB version - OS: Twister OS
It has a Logitech K400 that acts as its remote and two Atari VCS wireless controllers

Gaming setup - Mednafen
sourpuz Aug 22, 2022
Mr Spider, that's a hilarious story! I hope you had more, well, entertaining experiences as a tech. Might be worth putting it on the r/talesfromtechsupport subreddit, they'd love that.

My naming conventions aren't very interesting, for some reason I always name my machines after types of fish. No idea why.
StoneColdSpider Aug 23, 2022
Quoting: sourpuzMr Spider, that's a hilarious story! I hope you had more, well, entertaining experiences as a tech. Might be worth putting it on the r/talesfromtechsupport subreddit, they'd love that.

I have never been into reddit..... But I was thinking about starting a thread on here for funny work stories....... To get people to think about some good times at work besides that soul crushing busy work we have to do 99% of the time......
Kuduzkehpan Aug 25, 2022
Usually i call my pc as primary os + main reason that i installed it. So they allways like
wingaming
LinuxBox (box for beta alpha testing in linux)
MEA-X linux family
minfaer Aug 25, 2022
Coming from my faible for RTS games, mine where named with the NATO designations of Soviet/Russian fighter planes:

Flanker for the Desktop, as that was their long range ASF
Fulcrum for the Laptop, because the Mig 29 was the front-stationed little brother of the Flanker with comparable capabilities
Foxhound for the server
Foxbat for the phone
Flogger for the Raspi

At this point I feel it's important to mention that I strongly condemn the invasion of Ukraine, and started the scheme long before.

Last edited by minfaer on 25 August 2022 at 5:56 pm UTC
sourpuz Aug 26, 2022
Quoting: minfaerComing from my faible for RTS games, mine where named with the NATO designations of Soviet/Russian fighter planes

Only thing missing is a NAS called Fishbed!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.