Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Just Cause 2 (GOG) does not quit
Klaas Sep 25, 2022
I've decided to buy the GOG version of the game, since I wanted to have a non-Steam copy of the game. Unfortunately I've hit an issue that I haven't been able to solve. The game seems to work well with wine 7.17 and dxvk 1.10.3 after installing d3dcompiler_47 via winetricks to get rid of the black screen issue.

The trouble begins when I click on yes in the quit game prompt. Nothing happens. The screen stays as it is and the music (or mission briefing sounds) keep playing. I can quit the game with alt+tab followed by ctrl+c when I've started the game in a terminal, but that is not that much fun.

I've noticed that the GOG version is infested with a Galaxy.dll that is pulled in via ghost_api.dll which seems to be a fake steam_api.dll that has Steam* replaced with Ghost* functions. Unfortunately both dlls are required to run the game.

Currently I suspect that the hang is caused by the game trying to use Galaxy for cloud sync of the save files, but I have no way to be sure.

Any ideas? Is anyone around that owns the GOG version?

Last edited by Klaas on 25 September 2022 at 8:57 pm UTC
Klaas Sep 26, 2022
To answer my own question:

If I run unshare -r -n wine … to take away internet access, the game quits in a few seconds instead of slightly over 2 minutes.
Avehicle7887 Sep 26, 2022
Quoting: KlaasTo answer my own question:

If I run unshare -r -n wine … to take away internet access, the game quits in a few seconds instead of slightly over 2 minutes.

That's an interesting find. As a GOG user I've encountered this in a few games inc Witcher 3.

I've always closed the game manually through system monitor. Now I wonder if your command will also fix it for me too.

Thanks
Klaas Sep 27, 2022
Witcher 3 quits very fast on my setup. The unshare trick crashes the game during start (same for Saints Row 4), but firejail seems to be able to block net access without crashing.
Grogan Sep 29, 2022
You inspired me to give Just Cause 2 another try. That's one of the last games I cared about that I couldn't get to work in Steam (couldn't even get it to run, never mind d3dcompiler_47). I hadn't tried it in Steam recently with all the Protons and Proton-GE's that I have at my fingertips, but I figured getting it on GoG would be the first step, having more control over the environment.

Manual setup ("Add Game" in Lutris), with the lutris-7.2-2 runner, winetricks and d3dcompiler_47, then installation with offline GoG installer archives via "Run EXE inside Wine prefix". It worked perfectly out of the box with all settings maxed out. I hadn't seen that game in several years, so I played for hours.

It quits properly too (without screwing around with namespaces or otherwise disconnecting network). I was expecting to have the same problem, but no. I was in and out of that game several times last night too (including a few extra quits, testing this behaviour). I do quit to menu first though (Quit Game, and then Enter to get to the main menu and Exit to Windows)

Maybe it's your system wine vs. my Lutris 7.2-2 wine runner.
Klaas Sep 29, 2022
Interesting.

Remember, if Just Cause 2 randomly crashes, you should first try to disable decals.
Grogan Sep 29, 2022
Quoting: KlaasInteresting.

Remember, if Just Cause 2 randomly crashes, you should first try to disable decals.

Thank you, no, I didn't know about that (or remember, if I ever saw it)
Grogan Oct 2, 2022
Quoting: KlaasInteresting.

Just pinging you to say that I have had Just Cause 2 delay on exit as you describe, depending on how I quit. If I'm pissed off at some stupid failed quest and I quit quickly and without going out to main menu first, it seems to stall on exit. Once it stalled for about 20 seconds, but a few minutes ago it stalled for minutes. I left it to see, and came back and it was gone when I got back, so it did eventually quit.
Klaas Oct 2, 2022
Quoting: Grogandepending on how I quit
I've had no difference quitting from a running game or from the main menu. Even if I quit as soon as the game starts, I get the same behaviour.

And it's always 120…127 seconds for me with internet connection.
Grogan Oct 2, 2022
Quoting: Klaas
Quoting: Grogandepending on how I quit
I've had no difference quitting from a running game or from the main menu. Even if I quit as soon as the game starts, I get the same behaviour.

That could be a coincidence for me, I haven't had this happen often enough, but every time it's been on a hasty quit. I just didn't want to leave it as "doesn't happen to me".

It may well be bad network programming. That's quite common for (shitty) applications to hang until some response (even a NAK), or timeout, whichever happens first.
BunchOfAtoms Oct 4, 2022
Quoting: GroganYou inspired me to give Just Cause 2 another try. That's one of the last games I cared about that I couldn't get to work in Steam (couldn't even get it to run, never mind d3dcompiler_47).

I managed to make it work flawlessly on Steam with GE-Proton7-26. Later versions of GE-Proton don't work. No other trick is required on my PC.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.