Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Game with AI-generated quests?
Lachu Oct 7, 2022
What about creating game, with AI-generated quests or enemies? AI does many things currently, such like creating images and even games!

Why do not use it to adjust difficulty level? When person have trouble with some task, like navigating ships or shooting enemies, we could put more focus on that elements in procedural generated world.

What do you think?
furaxhornyx Oct 7, 2022
Like the Director, from Left 4 Dead ?
Lachu Oct 7, 2022
I had never played Left 4 Dead. It is similar to game master mode in some RPG?

I talk about selecting body parts, guns by AI based on player progress/game style. Also, some quests could be generated too, based on these criteria.
Lachu Oct 7, 2022
Ok. Thanks. I heave found information about director. Maybe I will implement something similar (I do not collect any information about it, but it is responsible for difficulty, dramatics and others). I have little AI knowledge and I think AI could generate boss with random arsenal (for example), second random boss and third boss will be generated based on case, when player loses hit point. If boss uses weapon, which required to be fast to dodge, and player loses energy by that weapon too often, AI will generate boss with fast weapons. Simple, but maybe people will love this.
furaxhornyx Oct 8, 2022
Quoting: LachuOk. Thanks. I heave found information about director. Maybe I will implement something similar (I do not collect any information about it, but it is responsible for difficulty, dramatics and others). I have little AI knowledge and I think AI could generate boss with random arsenal (for example), second random boss and third boss will be generated based on case, when player loses hit point. If boss uses weapon, which required to be fast to dodge, and player loses energy by that weapon too often, AI will generate boss with fast weapons. Simple, but maybe people will love this.

While being a nice idea, I think people will soon learn how "manipulate" the AI, for example by voluntarily taking some damage from a certain type of weapons, that is easy to dodge.

Watch some speedruns, even of retro games, you will see a lot of people trying to "trigger" some ennemy behaviour, to be able to manipulate the fight (like, going close to trigger the melee attack, which is easier to dodge / less annoying than another "ranged atack", etc).

Also, be careful, by "reinforcing" what is causing most problems to the player, you may also reach a point where the players will find your game too frustrating / too repetitive (aka always encountering the same ennemies that give them trouble), and simply quit playing it...
denyasis Oct 8, 2022
For some reason, it came to mind an article I read years ago from some games devs who wrote "AI" for an FPS. In summary, they ended up dropping it. The AI did all these cool things, cover, coordination, overwatch, etc, but the player never noticed. They just saw the enemy in the room shot, and moved on.

I'd say if you go AI, make sure the player knows it in the games. Think of the dialog in FPS games that enemies shout out, essentially telling you the AI state. Or in the case of a variable boss, dialog of how the boss improved ( I'm thinking of the scene in the movie The Incredibles where Mr. Incredible finds the "evolution" of the boss robot)

Rimworld also has an "AI" director for the difficulty. Essentially picks what events and challenges are coming. I'd hazard a guess the AI is mostly a weighting system that selects events based on the stats of the colony (I know wealth is a big factor).
Anza Oct 8, 2022
Trying to make things difficult for the player sounds bit like Bastard Tetris (it chooses always the most inconvenient piece). As said, for most players causing lot of frustration is not a good thing. But if your target is masochistic players, being unfair might just be the thing. Just remember to market the as unfair.

For more regular players, just creating the bosses diverse enough would be good, so players have to learn something new for each boss. Simple and doesn't need heuristics. Within same boss fight, boss phases can increase the difficulty.

PS: rubber banding is not a new thing, I remember it being infamous in racing games where AI would persistently keep close to the player. Here's the Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_game_difficulty_balancing
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.