Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Weekend Play List 11/4/2022
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Pengling Nov 6, 2022
I've finished all of my weekend picks now - plus one more from several Weekend Play List threads ago. Some quick thoughts;

1: Barring the inexplicable slowdown, odd changes to some of the music, and kicking out poor old Blue Bomberman, Mega Bomberman is a perfectly fine English version of Bomberman '94. Bomberman '94 is the most re-released game in the Bomberman series, and is considered to be the best representative of what it's all about, and I would highly recommend it in either its original PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 version or in its slightly cut-down Mega Drive form. A truly excellent game.

2: The "New" mode in the Game Boy version of Heiyankyo Alien is very VERY short, but it was fun and I felt that it was worth experiencing, since it's a remix of a foundational work in one of my all-time favourite genres. There was also a humourous little stinger after the ending sequence that raised a smile. It's probably not one that most would find super-interesting, but if you're a history buff, absolutely give it a go!

3: DKC Mania is a truly brilliant ROM-hack. Upon revisiting it I found it to be even better than I remembered, so my previous recommendation stands. If you're a fan of the original SNES Donkey Kong Country games and want more games like them but have already exhausted the Game Boy's Donkey Kong Land sister-series, do not hesitate to play this one.

4: After putting it on hiatus for several weeks, I finally had the time to get back to Metal Gear Solid and complete it, getting the good ending in the process. It's the first time that I've re-played it since its original era, and though I've never felt that the backtracking that the latter third of the game devolves into is all that great (though I will be fair and mention that the final backtracking segment is genuinely clever and fun, which is quite possibly a first in all of video gaming ), it's still overall an excellent game that I think is worth persevering with and playing through at least once if you're even remotely interested in it - it's fun and interesting and thoughtful, its high-points vastly outweigh its flaws, and it's mostly aged very well.

Last edited by Pengling on 6 November 2022 at 7:01 am UTC
StoneColdSpider Nov 6, 2022
Quoting: PenglingI finally had the time to get back to Metal Gear Solid and complete it
CRAB BATTLE!!!!!

Its another game ive never played but I really should......
*adds Metal Gear Solid to the ever growing list of console games to play*
Pengling Nov 6, 2022
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderCRAB BATTLE!!!!!

Its another game ive never played but I really should......
*adds Metal Gear Solid to the ever growing list of console games to play*
Thankfully this one won't go breaking any knives - or PCs. It's definitely worth a look - there's very little else like it out there.

Last edited by Pengling on 6 November 2022 at 7:11 am UTC
Grogan Nov 7, 2022
Quoting: denyasisI'm enjoying it quite a lot. I'll note it does carry over the mechanic from Penumbra where looking at the monster too much alerts the monster to your presence.

It does make for a silly moment or two where you just stare at a wall while it walks by, I'm not sure if Amnesia did that.

Given it's mostly exploration, death really isn't that big of a deal (and is rare).

It does have amazing atmosphere. I know the underwater setting kinda hints at Bioshock, but the game actually gives off hardcore System Shock 2 vibes. Probably better as SS2 becomes more of a shooter as the game goes on.

Heheh... I noticed that, I was peeking through cover, watching a big abomination lumber away, when it suddenly turned around and started running in my direction.

I haven't let anything get close enough to me to test that "safe" game difficulty setting, but it seems that they don't try too hard. It seems that the enemies chase, but don't actually lunge to attack you or anything in that mode. That suits me, because if I can't fight, I'd rather not be attacked :-)

I am pretty much smitten by this game, the atmosphere is just what I love. It seems well polished too.

Yeah, I kind of feel like a cross between a Big Daddy, and Isaac Clarke in this game (minus drills and plasma cutters) lol

System Shock 2 is another game I had considered, but never got around to buying. Perhaps I will revisit that.
denyasis Nov 7, 2022
Quoting: GroganSystem Shock 2 is another game I had considered, but never got around to buying. Perhaps I will revisit that

It's very good. Although it is starting to show it's age. It is from the era with modern controls so it's not super rough. You can kinda figure out the plot pretty quickly, but it's so well done, I still enjoyed it.

It does lose some scariness toward the end as you level up and things are less deadly to you, which is kinda a shame, but still very much enjoyable.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.