You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Strange download issue. WiFi vs Ethernet
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
damarrin Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlYou can run a local bandwidth test with iperf3 to make sure it's an actual issue with wifi and not something else.

You realise he said the problem was over cable?
Shmerl Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: damarrinYou realise he said the problem was over cable?

The post was kind of confusing, and sounded like over wifi. But if it's over cable, then test wouldn't hurt anyway. But it doesn't sound to me like a network problem then, more like application limiting its own traffic.

Sometimes weird stuff happens becasue ISP does crazy things shaping traffic based on something. For that you can test if VPN changes anything or not.

Last edited by Shmerl on 16 November 2022 at 8:59 am UTC
damarrin Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlThe post was kind of confusing

Now that is true.
damarrin Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: damarrinThis is a load of nonsense. Cat 8? For 2 gbps? Cat 6e doesn’t even exist. Lol.

https://icc.com/help-article/difference-cat6-cat6e/

Wow, and you took the piss out of me, I'm done, was only trying to help.

Hmmm, linking to a company that sells cables, they can write whatever. From Wikipedia:

QuoteAfter the ratification of Cat 6, manufacturers began offering cables labeled as Category 6e. The intent was to market Cat 6e as a pseudo official upgrade to the Category 6 standard naming it after the Category 5e standard. Officially Cat 6e is not a recognized ISO standard.

Taken from here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Edit: softened my tone.

As for recommending cat 8 cables for 2 gbps, cat 5e is capable of 2.5 gbps over distances of 100 m, that’s how wrong that recommendation is. “Helping” that way is only spreading fud.

Last edited by damarrin on 16 November 2022 at 12:54 pm UTC
damarrin Nov 16, 2022
Sorry, I just can’t resist.

The icc page you linked to itself notes 6e is a made up thing. Plus, it includes precise information such as: “It is designed to double the frequency from 250 MHz to 600 MHz.” I think it shouldn’t be treated as a reliable resource.
slaapliedje Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: ShmerlWiFi drivers on Linux can be very broken, unless it's Intel.

In general, I just prefer to avoid WiFi when possible. You can't beat latency of the wired connection.
It is working faster on wifi, that is what I don't get.

For what it is worTH, I just tested the same game, same cable, same adapter on my laptop via TB3, and was getting 40MB/s.

Plugable 2.5G USB C and USB to Ethernet Adapter, 2-in-1 Adapter Compatible with USB C/Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.0, USB-C to RJ45 2.5 Gigabit LAN Compatible with Mac and Windows https://a.co/d/dqMKT22

Cat6 Ethernet Cable 10 Ft (2Pack), Outdoor&Indoor, 10Gbps Support Cat7 Network, Heavy Duty Flat LAN Internet Patch Cord, Solid Weatherproof High Speed Cable for Router, Modem, Xbox, PS4, Switch, Black https://a.co/d/9cY2XTN

Are the cables / adapters I am using.
peta77 Nov 16, 2022
do you have a wifi-device which you can plug into your desktop PC? internal/external shouldn't matter much.... can you check if that runs faster if you use that?
slaapliedje Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: damarrinYou realise he said the problem was over cable?

The post was kind of confusing, and sounded like over wifi. But if it's over cable, then test wouldn't hurt anyway. But it doesn't sound to me like a network problem then, more like application limiting its own traffic.

Sometimes weird stuff happens becasue ISP does crazy things shaping traffic based on something. For that you can test if VPN changes anything or not.
Sorry, to clarify, the weirdness is that I'm getting MUCH faster speeds over Wifi than I am directly cabled to it.

I think I've come to the conclusion that it's specifically an Ubisoft problem. I'll have to test some other games, but I'm pretty sure Elder Scrolls Online downloaded the entire 100+gb in less than 5m. But Assassin's Creed: Odyssey seems to be pretty random. I wonder if it was switching between mirrors when I switched between network connections or something.
slaapliedje Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: peta77do you have a wifi-device which you can plug into your desktop PC? internal/external shouldn't matter much.... can you check if that runs faster if you use that?
I do somewhere. I just find it odd the game downloads faster over wifi than it does over ethernet.

Speedtest, while being just a random thing, clearly shows there is a difference in connected speeds. And I wouldn't even be that concerned if the differences weren't wired = in the KB/s and wireless = in the MB/s.

Quoting: ShmerlYou can run a local bandwidth test with iperf3 to make sure it's an actual issue with wifi and not something else.

I believe iperf3 requires a daemon on both sides, does it not? Been a while since I used it.

Ha, gamingonlinux should make attaching images easier, then I'd at least post screenshots so the issue is clearer.

I'm also wondering if this is an indicator of just hitting different mirrors based on random connection timing (as see my post above with the same cable / adapter on my thinkpad getting much faster downloads this morning).
Shmerl Nov 16, 2022
Quoting: slaapliedjeI believe iperf3 requires a daemon on both sides, does it not? Been a while since I used it.

Just the iperf3 itself on both ends, yeah. So you can have two computers on the local network and check how fast data can be transferred between them. It's a good way to check if your cable is OK.

As long as your router, switches and network cards support 2Gbps.

I was actually thinking of making a custom router with some mini PC with 2.5 Gbps network card running openwrt or opnsense to replace my current WiFi router that's stuck with 1 Gbps.

Btw, instead of using Cat 6, there is an option to use fiber optic cables for your home LAN as well. You can connect SFP+ over USB 4 for instance.

Last edited by Shmerl on 16 November 2022 at 5:20 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.