Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Rebranding (edit: actually...nope)
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Klaas Dec 17, 2022
IMO the Twit suffix is not a good idea. Why not berk?
BlackBloodRum Dec 17, 2022
Quoting: KlaasIMO the Twit suffix is not a good idea. Why not berk?
I do appreciate liam added some humour!

It's a cool handle that gives a good chuckle!

For those who don't get the new handles sense of humour:
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/twit
WyattTurpin Dec 17, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweRethinking it. Nothing is changing now.

Going through a very small rebrand over the next couple weeks into the new year (it will take time to adjust everything properly). Too many people keep thinking GOL is a company, and expect me to act like someone in a suit, when it's 99% just me sharing cool stuff and creating (hopefully) cool / interesting content along with opinions on various things.

What actually changes: not a lot, it's just a name and some wording clarifications.

It will also help whenever I cover something that isn't super specific to "Linux Gaming", because I grew tired very quickly of people who had a stance of if it's not ticking a very specific box, that it doesn't belong on GOL. I want to keep on covering hardware, open source, Linux gaming, Steam Deck and all the stuff in between. So if anything, it will just help me keep doing what I am already doing.
Imagine not having 200 people working under you as a corporate entity. Couldn't imagine.
damarrin Dec 18, 2022
I don’t get how rebranding to GOL would have solved the one-man-not-a-corporation mixup, but it certainly would have made it a lot clearer what the website was all about!
Liam Dawe Dec 18, 2022
One day I will probably rebrand properly, but it won't be to "GOL" but something longer and more general that would be picked up by searches easier heh. The main thing I have issues with is people expecting things covered here to be in a firm tickbox on "Linux Gaming" even though I cover so much here outside of that now...but thankfully the majority seem to enjoy it.
damarrin Dec 18, 2022
I’ve seen this on other sites, some people complain about things that don’t interest them and feel if they’re covered that somehow takes away from what they’re interested in. Don’t listen to people, do your own thing, this reader at least thinks it’s the best site on the whole internetz.
tuubi Dec 18, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweOne day I will probably rebrand properly, but it won't be to "GOL" but something longer and more general that would be picked up by searches easier heh. The main thing I have issues with is people expecting things covered here to be in a firm tickbox on "Linux Gaming" even though I cover so much here outside of that now...but thankfully the majority seem to enjoy it.

I have to admit that I mostly skip the articles about non-Linux games and the Deck and whatnot, but I don't mind you covering whatever you feel like you want to cover. There will always be people telling you to cater to their specific interests instead, no matter the branding or anything else. Sadly that's just inevitable. And you're still playing your games on Linux in one form or another, so the current brand is fine in my opinion.

Now, if the title was "Linux Games" or similar, that'd be different.

One possible solution would be to split some of the non-Linux content onto a "sister" site with different branding, but that would also split your community and add to your workload... I suppose complainers will just have to learn to cope.
Liam Dawe Dec 18, 2022
I tried a sister site once, it was just too much work and I nearly burned out on both.

My promise to all readers is that Linux is 100% the focus, always will be. All forms of gaming on it.
BlackBloodRum Dec 18, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweI tried a sister site once, it was just too much work and I nearly burned out on both.

My promise to all readers is that Linux is 100% the focus, always will be. All forms of gaming on it.
Been a while since LifeOnLinux was mentioned!
tonR Dec 18, 2022
Quoting: Liam DaweSomeone stole Twitter though, so that's the only real thing that's changed so we're here now: https://twitter.com/GOLTwit

Well, that's the new regime in town. Sorry for your username/handle loss. Plus, I cannot stand with countless of shady/fraudulent "digital store of value instruments" advertisement/promotion.

Glad that I never have an account with that social media.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.