Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Remote Play black screen from Fedora to Steam Link App
Drak Jan 1, 2023
Hi,

I always end up with a black screen when streaming from my desktop (Fedora + AMD OSS) to my Android TV with Steam Link app. Sound seems to work fine. RPM Fusion and Flatpak version are both affected.

Toggling hardware encoding has no effect.

Even stranger: Streaming from desktop to Steam Deck works, as well as streaming from Deck to the TV.

I guess desktop to Deck is some kind of other mode, as only the game itself is streamed, no big picture or something.

Any idea what the issue might be?
Hooly Jan 1, 2023
A black screen sounds like you are using Wayland and Steam is trying to stream the entire desktop instead of BPM or individual games. The former won't work, the latter should work.

Remote Play that way also only works when the intended window is currently visible and not on a different workspace.

Last edited by Hooly on 1 January 2023 at 2:17 pm UTC
Drak Jan 8, 2023
I should have guessed it. Yep. X11 works.

Thanks!
Kuduzkehpan Nov 3, 2023
Same issue on my side and yes legendary X11 works as legend. we need more love with Wayland on desktop i guess..
also steam -pipewire works after selecting full screen cast option in pipewire popup but this sometimes causes graphical artifacs on client screen. (arçelik Tv for e.g.)
beko Nov 13, 2023
Late for the party. Streaming with Fedora and Wayland and AMDGPU all the time. This does the trick:

> steam -pipewire

There is a dialogue that may show up behind the Steam window asking to confirm a screen to be recorded. This has to be confirmed. It's best to disable any additional displays before so games end up on the recorded one.

This is oddly only needed for Steam itself. Once a game starts it switches over to streaming the game only. I guess this is because most games are run via XWayland in the end?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.