Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Weekend Players' Club 1/7/23
StoneColdSpider Jan 7, 2023
G'Day everyone……. Its your interim host here again...... Its a very hot and sunny Sunday here…… Ive been inside nearly all weekend….. I really dont like the heat……. I cant wait for winter to return……

I hope you all had a good New Years and that you all made good gaming resolutions for 2023….. Mine is to finally buy Ride 4 at some point this year when its on sale next…...

This week has been a good week….. Did not do much…… Did a bit of walking through the town when it wasnt to hot and I was able to take Rufus for a walk as well…… The shops have started to open back up now after the Christmas/New Years period….. So that is good to see…… Its been pretty hot here this week and tomorrow it meant to be even hotter so yeah im going to spend a lot of time indoors this weekend……..

As for gaming this week I played…….

Arcade

The Simpsons Arcade Game (1991 Konami) - Beat 'em up

Console

Formula One 06 (2006 Sony) – Sony PlayStation 2 – Sports (Racing)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (2003 Nintendo) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Golf)
Mario Power Tennis (2004 Nintendo) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Tennis)
Mario Superstar Baseball (2005 Nintendo) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
MotoGP 08 (2008 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NCAA Football 11 (2010 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Football)
Tecmo Super Bowl 2023 (2022 TecmoBowl.org) - Nintendo Entertainment System - Sports (Football)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Re-Revenge (2022 savok) - Sega Mega Drive - Beat 'em up
WRC: Rally Evolved (2005 Sony) – Sony PlayStation 2 – Sports (Racing)
WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2007 (2006 THQ) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Wrestling)

PC

OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (2006 Sega) - Sports (Racing)

Yes I actually played a PC game…..

NCAA Football 11 Steve Austin Road to Glory

Steve Austins road to being a Campus Legend…… A little side objective of the Road to Glory game mode is to become a Campus Legend…… Which is achieved by Steve Austins on field performance and also what he does on campus at Boise State…..

(Also on a side note there was a really nice update to PCSX2 that allows for much clearer screenshots without them looking so blurry….. So expect to see some more action screenshots in the future…..)

A list of what will make Steve Austin a Campus Legend

As Boise State had a bye there was no game on the weekend after their stunning victory over the Hokies…… So I kept going until we faced our next opponent……

So after 2 days of studying and 8 days of training and putting all the points into the speed attribute….. The #5 Ranked Boise State Broncos traveled to Wyoming to face the #71 Ranked Wyoming Cowboys…….

And if you thought the last game was a one sided….. This was even more so…… Austin was on fire….. And and scored a TD every time he touched the ball….. Even when the coach did not want him to….. There was no stopping him……

The coach even pulled Austin aside to yell at him for running up the score against the Cowboys…..

Boise State 103
Wyoming 0
8 seconds left the clock and the coach calls a HB Slam………. Steve Austin breaks through the line and runs 52 yards to score a TD and the coach yells at him for running up the score..... If you didnt want to run up the score call a QB kneel..... Dumbass......…

Final Score was Boise State laying the smackdown on Wyoming 110 – 0

With Steve Austin named NCAA Offensive Player Of The Week.

Steve Austin celebrates a touchdown…….

Boise State Broncos mascot dancing up a storm after another Steve Austin touchdown

Steve Austins rushing stats again the Cowboys…….

Steve Austin #1 on the Heisman watch list……

NCAA Offensive and Defensive Players Of The Week…….

Campus Gazette issues 3 and 4 featuring Steve Austin…...

Next game will be the first home game of the season for Boise State and the first time Steve Austin will play on the “Smurf Turf” as the Oregon State Beavers will be traveling to Boise State…….

MotoGP 08 Stone Cold Spider Career

As I said last week I was going to be starting another career…. And this is my career in MotoGP 08…… Playing as myself…...

As with most careers I have to start at the bottom…. And that means I can only ride the 125cc bikes at the moment (In 2012 Moto3 replaced the 125cc category)……. After choosing my helmet and team it is time to start the first round of the 125cc World Championship……

The helmet I chose for myself……

The 125cc team I chose to ride for in the championship……..
I chose to ride the Aprilia for Grizzly Gas Kiefer Racing…...

Round 1 was at the Losail International Circuit in Qatar……
In 2008 Losail International Circuit held the first night event in MotoGP history…..

After a brief qualifying session I was able to get the bike onto pole position…….

Starting my first ever 125cc race on pole……

The lead was not held long as I was bumped down to 4th by turn one when I braked a bit to early…… I settled into a rhythm around the circuit and was able to pick off the riders 1 by 1…. Good thing about motorcycle racing is that there is plenty of room on the track to make overtakes unlike car racing which is what I am used to…..

I was able to get the lead by lap 3 as the AI was having trouble with the fast sweeping corners at Losail…… And I was able to pull away to take a comfortable win……..

First page of the race results for round 1……

First page of the Championship standings after round 1…..

A nice shot of me on the bike………

Next week I am off to Spain to the Circuit of Jerez for Round 2…..

My plan for this is to win all 3 championships and also win the top flight MotoGP Championship for Ducati…… Yes Im a Ducati fanboy………

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Re-Revenge

This is a Streets Of Rage 2 rom hack……. It has really nice TMNT sprites and changes the story line a bit…… Play as any of the 4 Turtles, Casey Jones, Splinter and April O’Neil…… All the enemies have had their sprites changed to TMNT enemies characters as well…….. Its a very well done rom hack with excellent spritework and animations……. Its still got the same SoR2 game play and feel about it making it a must play for TMNT fans…….

For this upcoming week…… I doubt I will do much outside of gaming…… Its going to be another hot one……. Might try to get out early one day before the heat and mow the lawn and do other odds and ends around the house that need doing….

As for gaming……. Well the NCAA Football 11 and MotoGP 08 careers will continue……. And there will be another TMNT game……. I might even get around to playing another Kirby game…..

Well thats it from me…… Have a good week everyone……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: what does a deaf gynaecologist do????
A: read lips
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*

Last edited by StoneColdSpider on 7 January 2023 at 9:39 pm UTC
Mezron Jan 7, 2023
Yesterday my friends and family had a Three Kings Day dinner which has been a long time tradition. We played the following games in btw eating, dancing, drinking and tabletop gaming.

HTPC running POP OS latest
  • Tekken 3 - Retroarch

• Power Stone - Redream

• Bust a Move 4 - Redream

• Zombie Revenge - Redream

Today is did some swimming, treadmill and rock climbing with a friend. We are taking a break but later on going out dancing at a local Salsa spot near me. She just started playing Marvel's Snap and waiting for update that will allow you play against friends so we can duke it out.

Tomorrow going to a dinner with friend and we plan on playing Dominoes at this tabletop bar and bistro.

Playing with my ppl has re-lit my Dreamcast hunger and I'm trying to find some non-fighting games to enjoy with them next time the come around in 2 weeks.

Last edited by Mezron on 7 January 2023 at 11:36 pm UTC
Pengling Jan 8, 2023
In addition to video games, I'm a fan of old cartoons (particularly the 1960s and 1970s Hanna-Barbera staples), with my favourite cartoon character being Scrappy-Doo. Maligned by a small-but-noisy echo-chamber these days (an interesting microcosmic look at how people's opinions can be influenced by bandwagons, for sure), in his day he was actually very successful, kept Scooby-Doo on the air for several years more than it would have stayed on TV otherwise, got bunches of merchandise, and, since he was in re-runs here up until the late 1990s and remained popular throughout, even starred in two video games that were made for the UK market in 1991. And since those two games are both different, my picks for this weekend are a short run-through of an entire series - so short, in fact, that I cleared both games early on Friday morning, tidily undercutting the Zool series (which has two games, two novels, and a quasi-remake) as my shortest full-series run-through.

First up is Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo for the Commodore 64 (this was also released for the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC computers, but I've never played those versions). This is my all-time favourite C64 game, and always has been, and it's also one of my all-time favourite platformers, which sees Scrappy setting out to rescue Uncle Scooby and Shaggy in a game that perfectly captures the look and feel of the cartoons. It's short-but-sweet (and also quite tough if you're unprepared), and it's also got its own original theme-tune, which is some proper good C64 SID music.

And secondly we have Scooby-Doo & Scrappy-Doo for the Atari ST. Unlike the version for the 8-bit micros, this one was rebranded from another game that was in development back then (a game called "Stig the Rat", whose protagonist can be accessed in this game via a cheat-code) so it feels a lot less like the cartoons than the C64 game does, but nonetheless ends up as a sequel to it. Unfortunately, this one is not as solid as its 8-bit predecessor, with pretty poor collision-detection, a lot of situations where you simply can't avoid being hit, and some aggravating mazes later on - I presume that this was a result of the devs being pressured to rework the game before it was finished. I don't know if these issues are the same in the Commodore Amiga version, but I don't feel especially inclined to find out. As with the 8-bit title, this one has its own original music too (I've linked to the Amiga version here, which sounds nicer than the Atari ST one), and it's pretty cool as well.

Both of these games were the result of UK publisher Hi-Tec Software landing various Hanna-Barbera cartoon licenses in the early 1990s (these guys aren't to be confused with US publisher Hi Tech Expressions - they're unrelated, even though both were best-known for releasing cartoon-licensed games during the same era). Most of them were solid games, and though the history of the UK games market is seemingly rarely talked about online (check out these figures from May of 1992 if you want some insight into how incredibly different it was here to other regions), they all did well and they're surely well-remembered by plenty of people.

Last edited by Pengling on 8 January 2023 at 5:11 am UTC
peta77 Jan 8, 2023
So I finished the Syberia series up to Syberia 3 (don't own the "the world before" and don't intend to buy) with the end of 2022. While it's quite nice, for me it was lacking a lot of relation to the story. You solve lots of ... puzzles?... no.. rather quite simple problems (most of the time), but you need to run around a lot to find the things you need. But most of the time this is completely unrelated to the story, it could be any game where those things happen. Actual information about the main/background story is rather little... So I was a bit disappointed... Or let's say, my expectations didn't match the actual game (That's why I'm currently not motivated to buy the latest part of the franchise).

Additionally in the 3rd part of the series they kind of tried to implement some "cool" new interface, a mix between traditional 2D point&click and isometric 3D, but the implementation is very often quite annoying. Especially when playing with a gamepad (played it on the deck, which basically the same). You run in one direction using the sticks, then the environment switches (it's not a continuous map but rather has sections), and the direction/orientation changes. So - too often - you end up playing a little ping pong between map sections as you enter because suddenly the direction changes and your character runs back to former part of the map.

For this year I intended to finally play those games in my library which are single player, story based and which I only shortly tested but then never actually played. So I don't intend to spend much money on games this year. That said, I wanted to start to finally play the Witcher series, but I was missing the first part. So I bought it. So much for not buying new games.... But it was on a huge sale, so didn't cost much (about one euro) and I don't want to wait for the remake version to start playing. I wanted to get the story from the beginning to better understand what's going on. So far I'm only 2 hours into the game, still looks interesting. Combat is a bit awkward. But I think I managed to get myself gaming-busy for a long time (noticed on howlongtobeat that every witcher title takes actually a very long time to finish... and I'm usually one of those players that do (almost) every side-quest too).

Last edited by peta77 on 8 January 2023 at 10:32 am UTC
StoneColdSpider Jan 11, 2023
Sorry its late but I wanted to wait to get a few replies so I could quote reply everyone at once...... And then forgot like the idiot that I am........

Quoting: Arcadius-8606Playing with my ppl has re-lit my Dreamcast hunger and I'm trying to find some non-fighting games to enjoy with them next time the come around in 2 weeks.
May I make two suggestions???

Dynamite Cop!.... It is a beat'em up game...... Its the sequel to Die Hard Arcade...... And its really damn good on the Dreamcast..... And of course it has 2 player co-op which is always great fun.......

The other suggestion would be Virtua Tennis...... Yeah yeah yeah..... I know..... Tennis...... But this is a great Tennis game on the Dreamcast with its simple controls......... And this is a great multiplayer game...... Supports up to 4 players which makes for great couch tennis doubles action........

They are just 2 great multiplayer non fighting games I can think of for the Dreamcast off the top of my head..... Hope that helps mate......

Sorry to hear that you played Zombie Revenge....... Might be better in co-op??...... But alone that game is crap..... I played it last Halloween and loathed it.....

Quoting: Penglingwith my favourite cartoon character being Scrappy-Doo. Maligned by a small-but-noisy echo-chamber these days (an interesting microcosmic look at how people's opinions can be influenced by bandwagons, for sure)
I am one of those people...... I have never ever liked Scrappy-Doo....... Even as a kid I would turn off the TV as soon as I saw it was a episode with Scrappy in it....... Hes like that annoying cousin that talks shit but cant back in up and always makes the situation worse.......... Call me whatever you like....... But I never liked him even before there was a echo-chamber bandwagon........

Quoting: peta77I wanted to start to finally play the Witcher series
I look forward to reading the updates on your progress with that game..... I have also never played it...... Those types of games dont do much for me...... But im always interested to hear what other people think of them....

Pity to hear that Syberia went off the rails a bit at the end.... I some how own Syberia 1 and 2..... I really should play them......

At this rate I will need to be immortal to finish the games list I have.........
Pengling Jan 11, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderI am one of those people...... I have never ever liked Scrappy-Doo....... Even as a kid I would turn off the TV as soon as I saw it was a episode with Scrappy in it....... Hes like that annoying cousin that talks shit but cant back in up and always makes the situation worse.......... Call me whatever you like....... But I never liked him even before there was a echo-chamber bandwagon........
As we've chatted about previously elsewhere, you have your own validly-formed opinion, so I couldn't possibly have any quibble with that. To clarify, I take issue with bandwagons that slag off things that they've never even seen and then create some truly horrifying "fan" works to express that, and unfortunately in this specific case that is the majority. All because of a cartoon puppy - absolutely ridiculous!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderAt this rate I will need to be immortal to finish the games list I have.........
I must admit, I'm glad that I tend to enjoy shorter games.

Last edited by Pengling on 11 January 2023 at 5:54 am UTC
Mezron Jan 13, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderMay I make two suggestions???

Dynamite Cop!.... It is a beat'em up game...... Its the sequel to Die Hard Arcade...... And its really damn good on the Dreamcast..... And of course it has 2 player co-op which is always great fun.......

The other suggestion would be Virtua Tennis...... Yeah yeah yeah..... I know..... Tennis...... But this is a great Tennis game on the Dreamcast with its simple controls......... And this is a great multiplayer game...... Supports up to 4 players which makes for great couch tennis doubles action........

They are just 2 great multiplayer non fighting games I can think of for the Dreamcast off the top of my head..... Hope that helps mate......

Sorry to hear that you played Zombie Revenge....... Might be better in co-op??...... But alone that game is crap..... I played it last Halloween and loathed it.....

I loved Zombie Revenge LOL. I only play games with other ppl. It's very difficult or rare that I play an SP game unless it's super short. Last year I played and ended 4 - I think. All of them were under 30 mins to complete.
StoneColdSpider Jan 13, 2023
Quoting: Arcadius-8606I loved Zombie Revenge LOL. I only play games with other ppl. It's very difficult or rare that I play an SP game unless it's super short. Last year I played and ended 4 - I think. All of them were under 30 mins to complete
LOL...... Well I only play games on my own........ I dont have friends and I live alone so its SP only for me.......
Mezron Jan 14, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderLOL...... Well I only play games on my own........ I dont have friends and I live alone so its SP only for me.......

If you are ever in NYC, hit me up. I know where all of the co-op arcades are & you can play with me and my people.

Last edited by Mezron on 14 January 2023 at 4:44 pm UTC
denyasis Jan 15, 2023
Quoting: peta77That said, I wanted to start to finally play the Witcher series

1 is a good game, although the combat is a little weird. I kinda liked it compared to the button mashing in 2 (I honestly liked 1 overall more than 2 even though 2 probably had a better story).

I tried 3, but couldn't get through it. I got bored part way through. It's very good, it's more my inability to keep my focus on the story for those huge epic Rpg's.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.