Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Steam Deck desktop mode localization & keyboard settings
hihu Mar 7, 2023
Hello everyone,

I tried another attempt to use the steam deck in desktop mode. At the first attempt, I used it with the internal virtual keyboard. This seems to work.

Now I tried connecting a keyboard and a monitor using the official docking station.

But it seems here that there is no way to change the localization of the steam deck other than in the steam interface. When I go to KDE settings, I can only choose english (US). In Libre Office Writer I can use the german dictionary, but there is no way to change the keyboard to german. y and z is interchanged and I cannot use some letter of ther german alphabet like ä,ö,ü,ß and so on.

This way the desktop mode with keyboard isn't really usable. I found some videos and guides online which trying to solve this issue. But it seems that for those solutions, you have to disable the read-only protection on steam deck and change settings deep in the system. Is this safe?

Are there any news on this problem or is the us keyboard setting the only one at the moment to use?

Thank you very much for your input
hihu
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.