Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Weekend Players' Club 3/31/23
StoneColdSpider Mar 31, 2023
G'Day everyone……. Its your interim host here once again…….. Its a raining Saturday here right now…….…… Well it was another iffy week weather wise……. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and today have been rained out……. So no walking those days…… Thursday I took Natasha to puppy school for the first time…… She did really well…… Not much to report….. Just the usual yard work and real work……..

Dog Tired…….

As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played…….

Arcade

Final Fight (1989 Capcom) - Beat 'em up
Shadow Dancer (1989 Sega) - Platformer

Console

Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse (1991 Sega) - Sega Game Gear - Platformer
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball (2003 Tecmo) - Microsoft Xbox - Sports (Beach Volleyball)
Gran Turismo 4 (2004 Sony) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
Kirby's Return to Dream Land (2012 Nintendo) - Nintendo Wii - Platformer
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona (2002 Infogrames) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Racing)
NHL Hitz Pro (2003 Midway) - Microsoft Xbox - Sports (Hockey)

PC

NASCAR Heat 5 (2020 Motorsport Games) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona - Dick Trickle Career: Part 8

Hi im Murray Eastlake and im going to be bringing you all the action from the 2002 Weekly Dirt Racing Series: Round 8 of 10 here at Kingsfield Raceway……..

Kingsfield Raceway is a medium banked dirt track with the grass apron very close to the racing line that causes chaos when you touch it……. This is the 2nd time here this season after Dick Trickle won here in round 3…….

The fans have come in and packed out the stadium section……. They might have paid for the whole seat but the way this championship has been shaping up they might only need the edge…...

This season is going to go down as one of the greatest of all times…….. 7 races….. 7 different winners….. With 3 races left the championship is so WIIIIIIDE open even 2 Dicks couldnt touch the sides…….

Dont touch the sets…… Dont touch the dials…… You wont want to miss a single moment of the 2002 Weekly Dirt Racing Series action…….

Kingsfield Raceway……...

Dick Trickle at the track ready to race…….

Dick Trickle got into the groove early as he was setting some rather quick lap times compared to what he was doing here back in round 3……. The car was behaving nicely and he has good long run pace……

Onto qualifying and Dick set a respectable lap time of 16.542 and that puts him in 6th overall……. So Dick will be starting 3rd in Heat 2…….

Qualifying Results……..

The green flag dropped to start the 5 lap Heat 2 race and Dick got off to a great start from 3rd and was pounding the rear end of Erik Truet into the first turn….. This unsettled Truet just enough that when more contact came from John Rafter it put Truet into a spin and out of contention for the race win……

John Rafter took the lead and was never headed as Dick just didnt have the ponies under the bonnet to stay with Rafter…….

Rafter took the win easily from Dick who can 2nd…….. Trickle booked himself a spot in the A Main and will be starting 4th…...

Heat 2 Results…….

Dick Trickle lined up ready to start the A Main…...

The 75 lap A Main Final started in a similar fashion to last week…….. Dick got another great start and slid his way into the gap in front of him…… Only to get squeezed hard at the first turn as they tried their best to go 4 wide……. And this time Matthew Kato #425 come off second best and was turned sideways in front of Dick #445, Mark Hunter #429 and John Rafter #442…… They mostly managed to miss him and Kato took a hard lick against the outside wall……

Lap 2 and Zach Zins #476 touched that grass apron while trying to rub up against Dick….. Zins spun the car in front of John Rafter who could not avoid Zins and after crashing into Zins bounced up the track and into the side of Mark Hunter and they all spun as more cars piled in from behind…….

This left Dick Trickle all alone in 2nd as Ted Finger had turned up the jets and was in a comfortable lead…..

Championship leader Josh Ginter who does not qualify well……. Caught Dick after 20 laps and passed him with ease down the back straight…… And was on a hard charge to catch Ted Finger……

Dick was left in 3rd….. Not quick enough to catch Finger or Ginter and to fast for Kato and Joe Fazioli as they both had damaged cars after the lap 1 and 2 incidents…….

Dick came home in a comfortable 3rd place….. Some 8 seconds ahead of Zins…… but was 1 lap behind Finger and Ginter…..

I congratulated Dick Trickle on his 3rd place finish and asked for his thoughts on the race…... “Thanks Murray……. That was an intense start……. First few laps cars were going everywhere….. Thankfully I only suffered minor body damage during the scuffles on the 1st and 2nd lap…… And from then on it a quiet race for me…… That fast bastard Ginter got past me on about lap 20 and I just couldnt keep up……. I kept hoping Teddy would be able to hold him off…… But I just heard Ginter won and that is a kick in the balls….. We are in a hole now…. Some 100 points behind Josh with 2 races left…… But we will keep digging……. I dont know where Kato finished yet as I havnt seen the full finishing order but he was somewhere behind me thats for sure……. We might be able to steal 2nd place in the championship yet………. Onto Anoka I guess and with 110 points for a win…… Who knows what could happen…...”

With Josh Ginter being able to not only catch but also pass Ted Finger for the win……. Ginter now becomes the first 2 time winner this season and is now 78 points ahead of 2nd place Matthew Kato who had a disappointing race after that 1st lap crash nursed home a damaged car in 6th place….. Dick Trickle is 20 points behind Kato in 3rd place…….

The 2002 Weekly Dirt Racing Series now heads back Anoka City Speedway….. Mark Hunter won there in Round 4 earlier this year……. Can he back up that performance or will Josh Ginter seal the championship?…..

With just 2 races left in the championship is there any fight left in Matthew Kato and Dick Trickle???…… Tune in next week so you dont miss a moment of the penultimate round of the 2002 Weekly Dirt Racing Series…..

This is Murray Eastlake reporting……. And until next week its goodbye from me….

A Main Results……

Winnings……

NASCAR Heat Weekly……

2002 Weekly Dirt Racing Series Championship Standings after round 8 of 10……
Dick Trickle is still 3rd in the standings…..

Dirty Dick A Main Action……...

Final Fight

Final Fight is a game of its time……. And it does not hold up that well today…… Its not terrible.... Theres just is not enough variety in the game…… This was fine when it released as there was not many Beat ‘em ups in the arcade but today….. It is just overshadowed by many other fantastic beat 'em ups…… Including many by Capcom themselves….

The story is very simple…… Mike Haggar is the Mayor of Metro City…… His daughter April O’Neil has been kidnapped and only the Ninja Tur……… wait……. Wrong game…….. *Shuffles papers*……. His daughter Jessica has been kidnapped and only Mike Haggar, Cody and Guy can rescue her…….. Hmmmm not much difference…...

This is a very basic and standard Beat ‘em up……. Not a big variety of moves…… And some super cheap AI in places that are designed to suck as many quarters out of your pocket as possible……. The controls are nice and simple….. 1 button attacks and 1 button jumps……. Push both buttons together and gear a special attack that drains life……… It does feel good and responsive when playing thought…..

The graphics are nice for the time and the enemy variety is nice…… There are a few weapons scattered through out the game…… The usual pipes and swords and knives…….

The levels are usually short and sweet but the final two levels drag on for an age…….. And the bosses are nothing to write home about…… Being so generic and forgettable that I have honestly forgotten who they were and I only played the game 3 days ago…….

Much like Altered Beast and Golden Axe……. This is a product of its time and really not worth playing today when there are so many other much better beat ‘em ups to play……. Unless you want to experience it from a historical viewpoint……

Final Fight…..

This Week

Dont know much about what I will be doing this week….. The weather looks like it might be iffy at best…….. There will be a second lesson at puppy school though…… As for the rest who knows……. The weather will decide what I do this week…….

Daylight Savings ends tonight so I need to remember to change the times on the clocks before I go to bed.....

As for gaming there will be more hardcore Dick Trickle action in NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona……. NO MORE KIRBY GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!…..

I will be doing a 3 week mini series battle.... The 3 Final Fight Super Nintendo games vs the 3 Streets of Rage Mega Drive games…….. Which is why I played the Final Fight arcade game this week…..

I might even look into some PSP gaming…….

Well thats it from me…… Have a good week everyone……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you get if you cross a Border Collie with a flower????
A: You get a Cauliflower…...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Apr 1, 2023
Big post ahead! Indies do what Nintendon't this week, with two titles that act as spiritual-successors to long-abandoned Nintendo franchises - plus Bomberman battle-practise, pinball, and a little sewing-project, too! [+..••]

First up is the recently-released FUR Squadron (Proton), a 3D rail-shooter that's both a tribute to the Star Fox series and very much its own thing as well. The game sees a team of anthropomorphic animal pilots taking on a world with a 1990s-hued wireframe aesthetic, with the visuals explained by the fact that the game takes place in a virtual-reality training simulation gone wrong. Think Star Fox meets Metal Gear Solid's VR Training, plus a mildly-unsettling atmosphere from the whole simulated world glitching out around you due to an unknown cyber-threat, and you're on the right track.

My only complaints are that the vertical axis is inverted by default so that pressing forward on the stick makes your ship go up and you have to go into the menus to change that (you don't move your head upwards to look up in real-life, you tip it backwards, so this sort of unusual setting messes with me as it's illogical for pushing a 3D joystick forward to result in an aircraft moving upwards in a 3D space; It also differs from the games that it takes inspiration from, so it comes across as doubly-jarring to me), and also that you can't remap the controls (I would prefer to use the triggers rather than the regular shoulder-buttons for rolling the ship), though the default mappings are still ok so this isn't a huge problem. But that's my only gripe, which is high praise for the rest of the game!

FUR Squadron is short-but-sweet, but unlike the leading brand of animal-space-pilot games (if Nintendo could actually be bothered to create them these days, rather than just creating hoaxes about them to catch NDA-breakers the price actually reflects that (it was just under £6 when I grabbed it), and it's well worth getting if you're a fan of rail-shooters like this - and, even better, though it hasn't been verified yet, the devs have made sure that it's Linux/Steam Deck compatible via Proton. I hope that we see a sequel, because I thoroughly enjoyed this one and will be going back again to tackle the other difficulty-settings that get unlocked as you progress.

Second is the widely-acclaimed (and Linux/Steam Deck Verified) Pizza Tower (Proton), a platformer very much in the vein of the lamentably lost Wario Land series. The visuals here are based on 1990s cartoons, and look suitably manic, as protagonist Peppino Spaghetti takes on the challenges of the Pizza Tower in order to save his pizzeria from destruction!

This is one of those rare games where you get a feeling of insane movement that is nonetheless combined with a fair bit of precision, and it feels as high-energy to play as it looks in motion. Unlike FUR Squadron, you can remap the controls to your liking in Pizza Tower, though the defaults are good as-is, and flow nicely when in use.

You play through each stage rescuing pizza-toppings and the like, and then must escape from it as quickly as possible, sometimes taking a slightly different route to the end than what you took going in, which keeps you on your toes. If you enjoyed platformers like Wario Land, Sonic CD, and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in the 1990s, chances are that you'll like Pizza Tower, as it feels like it channels bits of all of them!

I have several Bomberman games as go-tos for practising the classic battle-mode, and which one I pick typically depends on my mood, since the excellent state of emulation and compatibility-layers on Linux in this day and age means that I can run most of the series on all of my hardware, at the time of writing. Lately, for this purpose, Bomberman World (PSX) has been the one that I've been playing the most.

Though I feel that it has one of the weakest single-player modes in the entire series, the multi-player component of Bomberman World is one of the best, at least once you get used to its non-standard isometric viewpoint. It's one of the games where the AIs have individual personalities and accompanying tactics, which is always fun (for example, Fairy Bomber is quite sweet and docile until threatened, and Witch Bomber prioritises grabbing the contagious Skull items in order to spread chaos amongst all of her opponents), and they're quite a good challenge without being unfair and boring and seeming too unlike a human opponent.

The game is quite keyboard-friendly, too, if that's your preference for playing emulated games of this sort. I mention this because the cornering in some Bomberman entries doesn't really feel right with a keyboard, and this is one of the ones that plays great no matter what your control preference is.

The fantasy-inspired characters here (all of whom also appeared in the Japan-only strategy-RPG Bomberman Wars are a nice change from the norm, which is (understandably, for a franchise about cutesy robots) generally more sci-fi leaning - hopefully they'll appear as multi-player options in another game someday.

After several weeks without enough free time for it, here's another update on my progress towards reaching the ending-sequence of Alien Crush. The score currently sits at 301,967,300 out of 999,999,990.

Other stuff I played during the week;

Bail or Jail (Obakeidoro!) (Proton)

Horizon Chase Turbo (Native Linux)

Kid Chameleon (Mega Drive)

Mega Bomberman (Mega Drive)

Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix (Proton)

Sonic The Hedgehog (Mega Drive)

Super King Kong 99 (Bootleg) (Mega Drive)

Non-gaming-wise, I took on a little restoration project after obtaining a plush of Fairy Bomber from Bomberman World and Bomberman Wars who had lost her wings at some point long before I got her, because the originals were only ever hot-glued on at the factory. More inside the spoiler-tags;

Spoiler, click me

The original wings look like this (and the price that this one sold for is yikes!), and I originally intended to replicate them as closely as possible using multiple layers of white iridescent organza fabric, which is as close of a match that I could find. I made up a close-as-possible paper pattern for Fairy Bomber's new wings by studying pictures of intact examples, but it turned out that you really can't work this sort of fabric by hand with thread and consumer-grade fabric-glue, so I had to go with Plan B...

Plan B was applying the pattern I'd come up with to two layers of self-adhesive glitter-felt, instead. It didn't look as close to the original as Plan A, but it was a whole lot sturdier, and allowed me to sew through the back layer only, thus keeping the stitches entirely invisible when the plush is viewed from the back. The glitter-felt may not look like much here, but it's much more glittery in person, and it does look appropriately twinkly.

I'm really happy with the end result - Fairy Bomber now has shiny new wings, you can't see how I attached them, and I now have sore fingers and am covered in glitter in spite of using low-shed glitter-felt (I can't imagine how much worse it'd be if I hadn't gone with that!).

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Dog Tired…….
AWW! She's SUCH a cutie!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: What do you get if you cross a Border Collie with a flower????
A: You get a Cauliflower…...
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Hahahahahaha!
StoneColdSpider Apr 2, 2023
Quoting: PenglingSecond is the widely-acclaimed (and Linux/Steam Deck Verified) Pizza Tower (Proton), a platformer very much in the vein of the lamentably lost Wario Land series. The visuals here are based on 1990s cartoons
It does look a hell of a lot like a old Nickelodeon cartoon......... Ren and Stimpy and Rockos Modern Life spring to mind straight away.......... its almost uncanny.....

Quoting: PenglingAfter several weeks without enough free time for it, here's another update on my progress towards reaching the ending-sequence of Alien Crush. The score currently sits at 301,967,300 out of 999,999,990.
Good to see your not slacking off with the stupid pinball challenge.......

Quoting: PenglingNon-gaming-wise, I took on a little restoration project after obtaining a plush of Fairy Bomber from Bomberman World and Bomberman Wars who had lost her wings at some point long before I got her, because the originals were only ever hot-glued on at the factory. More inside the spoiler-tags;
So you made an explosive Tinker Bell???...... A Tinker Bomb if you will.......
Pengling Apr 2, 2023
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderIt does look a hell of a lot like a old Nickelodeon cartoon......... Ren and Stimpy and Rockos Modern Life spring to mind straight away.......... its almost uncanny.....
Yeah, they really nailed the look of those sorts of shows from that era - it looks great in motion, too.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderGood to see your not slacking off with the stupid pinball challenge.......
Thankyou, thankyou!

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderSo you made an explosive Tinker Bell???...... A Tinker Bomb if you will.......
Hahahaha!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.