Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Asus Ally
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
BlackBloodRum Apr 3, 2023
Hi All,

Have you heard about the Asus Ally? It sounds like this wasn't an April's fools joke after all.

Apparently, it'll be more powerful than the Steam Deck, and run Windows 11.

Personally, I think it's interesting and might "mix things up" meaning that it might make Valve push harder to make the Deck play more games. But it'll heavily depend on that price.

What do you guys think?
Klaas Apr 3, 2023
No trackpads and Windows 11. That's a double no from me.

It has to be a more expansive than the Steam Deck since they don't have the ability to sell games to compensate for a low markup.
I'm going to get some flak for this, but I'm just going to say it:

I never use the trackpads on my Steam Deck. I'm sorry, but I just don't. I actually went so far as to configure the desktop mouse pointer to use the right-sided stick instead

With that said! I do make heavy use of the back buttons (L4, R4 etc). Now those, they come in real handy! Whether for combo buttons, or in-game console open buttons (as in, to enter game commands) etc.

Although, I fully agree on the no Windows thing. Every time I use it I just become full of rage, so I'd be afraid of getting angry and throwing the device because of some stupid thing Windows is doing

I'm glad I only have to use Windows extremely rarely at this time for all of about 5-6 minutes a month. (Which is still more than it used to be.. but.. yeah.. I have no choice at the moment.. boo!).
Klaas Apr 3, 2023
I constantly use the trackpads - I've just re-played the first two Blackwell games. And Runaway. I can't stand joystick mouse control.

And for the keyboard as well. At first I mainly used the touch screen, but I hate the fingerprints on the screen and after getting used to the dual trackpad control it feels faster.

The back buttons are a must as well. But for some games there are not enough buttons without touchpad menus even with long press/short press double bindings.

Edit: Now I've managed to forget mentioning that I don't like the look of that D-pad twice. I prefer the SNES/Steam Deck variant without a connecting circle.

Last edited by Klaas on 3 April 2023 at 7:22 pm UTC
Oh, fingerprints on screen, don't get me started! Like you, I do my best to avoid touching it! I showed a friend my steam deck, and they touched the screen, after I took it back, immediately started wiping the prints off.. should have seen the look I got! I'm like a classic car guy if you put your hand on his freshly polished car.

Although, I wasn't aware of the trackpad menus? I'm going to Duck that now

Anyway, back on Topic the "Ally" in theory should have much better game compatibility, and Windows users will be happy (well sort of, you should see them in the Steam forums over Win 7 atm, it's quite comical).

But without the extra buttons and trackpads will the games be controllable enough? And how much will Windows limit the gameplay (in terms of performance loss, features?).
Klaas Apr 3, 2023
It seems that only games with full controller support will work in a usable fashion.

And setting them up will probably be a pain as well without an external keyboard and mouse. Is it possible to control Windows 11 with a gamepad?
In theory, the steam controller settings could be used on it (just like they can on desktop)

I'd assume it has a touch screen which you could control Windows with, Isn't Windows is perfectly touch friendly now since Windows 8 went all touchy? And I'm also assuming Asus would add some kind of controller configuration to control it all? in theory? right?

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 3 April 2023 at 7:43 pm UTC
whizse Apr 3, 2023
There's a touch screen. You can see a little bit of the software in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo
Linas Apr 4, 2023
The Deck is sort of a budget-premium device, and so they can keep the prices down by making a few compromises. Once you start ramping the specs up though, the price will jump quite significantly. My guess is that the Ally would cost at least 1400 USD.
BlackBloodRum Apr 4, 2023
Quoting: whizseThere's a touch screen. You can see a little bit of the software in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drLZxyv79Oo
I can't help but think: Expensive, expensive, expensive every time I see the video.

The interface looks simple enough, except that weird part with the middle task bar that looks a bit like a mac, but not mac, not sure what's going on there, I'm sure that'll get ironed out though.

Although, from a concept point of view it is interesting, and competition is always good (it stops businesses from relaxing and failing to progress).

Not so keen on the idea of the left thumb stick being right at the edge like that though.

Quoting: LinasThe Deck is sort of a budget-premium device, and so they can keep the prices down by making a few compromises. Once you start ramping the specs up though, the price will jump quite significantly. My guess is that the Ally would cost at least 1400 USD.
That's possible! But we'll see.

With that said, the Deck isn't exactly an incapable device as it is, and still has fair amount of power for what it is.
melkemind Apr 27, 2023
I'm reviving this discussion just because we know a little more. Asus is saying it's "under $1000" and it seems like Microsoft is really partnering with them to try to make it a useable device (not surprising since Asus is such a huge company).

My concern, as a Linux user, is not having hardware competition but that people who were warming up to Linux through SteamOS and even switiching on their desktops will be swayed back to Windows mediocrity by this device. Am I wrong? I hope I am.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.