Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Site Feedback
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
FSFmember May 23, 2023
Just wanted to say - as a long time lurker (registered just now after many, many years of reading GOL... ) I've always appreciated how you designed the site to allow me - the user - to decide whether I want to load third party content (YouTube embeds, Imgur, etc...) or not. And the option for direct link! How I miss this on other sites!

Yes, I thought this was such an important thing to say that it warranted own thread - apologies if it was already here somewhere (Hey, don't kill my enthusiasm )

This is something I've always told myself if I had my own website, I would do as well even before seeing it here. So kudos I say and also - congrats on GOL - it's become a very successful website over the years (from a long time reader POV at the very least, obviously I don't have access to the analytics, but i believe you are fine :))

Cheers

edit: typos

Last edited by FSFmember on 23 May 2023 at 11:37 am UTC
FSFmember May 26, 2023
Also noticed - the forum is dead (without me... )
BlackBloodRum May 26, 2023
Quoting: FSFmemberAlso noticed - the forum is dead (without me... )

As a gentoo user (going by the icon next to your name), you should know us tux folk are far too busy tweaking our systems and configuration to post on forums, who needs toys when we have Linux?

(All joking aside, I am current considering the switch to gentoo myself )
FSFmember May 26, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRum

As a gentoo user (going by the icon next to your name), you should know us tux folk are far too busy tweaking our systems and configuration to post on forums, who needs toys when we have Linux?

(All joking aside, I am current considering the switch to gentoo myself )
As a Gentoo user, I know there is a teeny bitty slim insignificant minority of damaged users that use Gentoo And thus I'm certain all the other ones on SteamOS, 'Buntu and Manjaro would love to discuss their past time hobby with another such willing to do so... Yet I'm being convinced by the hour this is not the case and I wouldn't be surprised if the owner of GOL would close the forum off altogether as is the general trend for a long time already

'Till then though, welcome to the family BlackBloodRum

Last edited by FSFmember on 26 May 2023 at 12:26 pm UTC
Nah, the forum won't get closed. It still gets used, sometimes it's busier than others you know.

The Gentoo thing is still very much on the table but undecided, I'm still weighing my options I did write about that elsewhere, if you're curious[1].

But yeah, I'm not new to Linux, I'm an old timer. And also a FSF associate member like yourself

[1] https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/1697169163417158987/?ctp=16603#c3841053085034520128 (Warning: Long block of text ahead, may cause sleepiness)
FSFmember May 26, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRum[1] https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/1697169163417158987/?ctp=16603#c3841053085034520128 (Warning: Long block of text ahead, may cause sleepiness)
Thanks for the read, always enjoy a fellow madman talk. I've read it all. What I'd allow myself to suggest is if you decide to give it a go, go BTRFS. There're no reason not to nowadays.

Quoting: BlackBloodRumNah, the forum won't get closed.
Famous last words, rum.

Quoting: BlackBloodRumsometimes it's busier than others you know.
With that I'd agree.

Last edited by FSFmember on 26 May 2023 at 12:42 pm UTC
Quoting: FSFmember
Quoting: BlackBloodRum[1] https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/1697169163417158987/?ctp=16603#c3841053085034520128 (Warning: Long block of text ahead, may cause sleepiness)
Thanks for the read, always enjoy a fellow madman talk. I've read it all. What I'd allow myself to suggest is if you decide to give it a go, go BTRFS. There're no reason not to nowadays.
Madman? pfft. We're not mad, it's everyone else that's mad!

Also, yup BTRFS is the plan, I use it with SUSE now it works great when something goes wrong, which thankfully is exceedingly rare (I only used it once in two years)

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread with talk about Linux sorry about that!
FSFmember May 26, 2023
Quoting: BlackBloodRumAnyway, I don't mean to hijack your thread with talk about Linux sorry about that!
It's not my thread; we're community here, are we not? Also - no one would reply to my thread because... surprise NOBODY CARES about anything. That's the 8th wonder of the world - nobody cares about the world. It's wonderful. He who created thw world must've been genius and sadist at the same time.

Otherwise great choice on the current OS imho(openSuse).
and sincerely I thank you for hijacking "my thread"!

Last edited by FSFmember on 26 May 2023 at 2:33 pm UTC
Quoting: FSFmemberOtherwise great choice on the current OS imho(openSuse).
and sincerely I thank you for hijacking "my thread"!
Yeah my distro needs are a little odd see, for most people it doesn't matter really what they have, so long as they can play games, access Myspace or whatever social media people use now and such. They may use Arch just for bragging though

But in my case I need recent software for my work, some developmental stuff, something secure and I also need something stable that just works. When I start working, everything else needs to work too. In a sense my computer is more like a tool than a toy.

SUSE ticked most of those boxes after I moved away from Fedora (it had some odd bugs for me, that SUSE fixed) and has been very stable. It's a good distro in its own right. I'm by no means saying that any distro is better than another. Just some have pros / cons over others.

But now I'm bumping into, what's easiest to describe as a wall, where I want to have more control over what it can do, and combine things from multiple distros (Like SELinux and rolling updates). Particularly with new idiot generated government laws coming into play soon which may (or may not) begin to affect the more commercial distros.

One "wall" I bumped into recently was that I wanted to apply a kernel patch which could fix a cyberpunk 2077 bug, but I couldn't patch it quickly/easily because of the way Tumbleweed handles kernels. Not cool.

I also wouldn't mind reducing the number of unused proprietary blobs sitting on my system as well lol.

But before switching I'm checking all my requirements, security concerns (not really a problem on Gentoo, since you can lock it down), making sure my daily software works etc. Research first, plan first, and then act is my method.

I know I may sound a little drastic in my requirements, but I handle a fair bit of customer data as well as my own, so I very much do need to keep things in a secure condition. It's not just my own data at stake here.

And as silly as it sounds, Gentoo appeals to my eh, "inner techie" with the whole being able to tinker to my needs. I love the idea of having complete control over it, even if that means it's a little bit more complex and difficult than a regular distro. But I've been doing this Linux stuff for almost 20 years now, I use it in both a professional manner and personal manner so I am comfy with the terminal (I often prefer it). So should I decide to switch, I should be fine. (You watch, now that I've said that, I'll get stuck!)

But time can be an issue when you're an adult and have "responsibilities" (boo!). I'll admit it's been a very long time since I last used Gentoo.

Though I should mention that I maintain that I am not a geek/nerd at all. Just a regular run of the mill john doe casual computer user.

TL;DR: Yup, I'm crazy enough to try Gentoo. And probably crazy in general.

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 26 May 2023 at 6:05 pm UTC
Pengling May 26, 2023
It can be a little bit sleepy, but as Rum mentioned, it's sometimes busier than others. And then there are the Weekend Players' Club threads, which are always a good time - hope to see you check into this week's one, tomorrow!
StoneColdSpider May 26, 2023
Quoting: Pengling
It can be a little bit sleepy, but as Rum mentioned, it's sometimes busier than others. And then there are the Weekend Players' Club threads, which are always a good time - hope to see you check into this week's one, tomorrow!
Im working on the Weekend Players' Club post right now......
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.