Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
New Member, Surprised that this many users have 32GB of RAM
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
eldaking Aug 23, 2023
Quoting: ShmerlNVMe storage got pretty cheap actually. Example: https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Platinum-Internal-Compact/dp/B09QVD9V7R

You are talking to someone that thinks any dGPU is a luxury and expects a computer to last for at least a decade (and lives in a non-developed country so electronics are a bit less accessible in general). My standards of what is "cheap" are a bit... different.

Last year I got my first ever NVMe drive, last month I got my dad a 480GB one (WD Green, nothing fancy) as a much needed upgrade to his new laptop. Heck, I got my first SATA SSD a couple of years ago as a replacement for a failing HDD. I have no idea how much those parts costed before, but it is still not cheap enough for me

(And yet I still have 32GB of RAM. A bigger NVMe is probably the one real update I expect to make to this machine in the future, to extend it to its expected 10+ year lifetime)
Shmerl Aug 23, 2023
Quoting: eldaking(And yet I still have 32GB of RAM. A bigger NVMe is probably the one real update I expect to make to this machine in the future, to extend it to its expected 10+ year lifetime)

Prices dropped a lot in the couple of recent years. Not sure what's going on, but $150 for high end PCEe 4.0, 2 TB NVMe SSD like that SK Hynix one is ridiculously cheap.

Also, note that investing in bigger capacity SSD is actually good if you want longer lifetime for it. Bigger capacity directly affects wear rating for the drive, so the bigger it is, the longer you can use it before it has to be replaced. So it pays off to get bigger ones. You can check endurance / wear rating for the drive to get some idea.

Last edited by Shmerl on 23 August 2023 at 11:27 pm UTC
pleasereadthemanual Aug 24, 2023
I have 32GB for video editing, image editing, desktop publishing, running various local services...it basically funds my inability to focus on one thing at a time.
denyasis Aug 24, 2023
Quoting: eldaking(And yet I still have 32GB of RAM. A bigger NVMe is probably the one real update I expect to make to this machine in the future, to extend it to its expected 10+ year lifetime

This! Basically for me, long term, NVME, PCIe, etc aren't going away in 10 years. I can wait and do small upgrades to extend my PC's life.

DDR4 and my chipset (especially the chipset) will be phased out over the same time. So I tend to focus on getting the most out of those.

Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: eldaking(And yet I still have 32GB of RAM. A bigger NVMe is probably the one real update I expect to make to this machine in the future, to extend it to its expected 10+ year lifetime)

Prices dropped a lot in the couple of recent years. Not sure what's going on, but $150 for high end PCEe 4.0, 2 TB NVMe SSD like that SK Hynix one is ridiculously cheap.

Also, note that investing in bigger capacity SSD is actually good if you want longer lifetime for it. Bigger capacity directly affects wear rating for the drive, so the bigger it is, the longer you can use it before it has to be replaced. So it pays off to get bigger ones. You can check endurance / wear rating for the drive to get some idea.

My NVME is only a 512. My steam deck has more !! 🤣😂🤣. My only complaint about NVME is the physical connection. It's large compared to SATA and at least in the case of my motherboard, there's only one. I guess I need a USB adapter to image a new one? Compared to SATA, it seems a little wasteful...
eldaking Aug 24, 2023
Quoting: denyasisThis! Basically for me, long term, NVME, PCIe, etc aren't going away in 10 years. I can wait and do small upgrades to extend my PC's life.

DDR4 and my chipset (especially the chipset) will be phased out over the same time. So I tend to focus on getting the most out of those.

Yeah, that was exactly why I got more RAM for future-proofing (but not a huge-ass NVMe). Last year I was also fixing and upgrading a desktop I assembled in 2012, that my sister used... and I couldn't get any DDR3 RAM with equivalent timings, so had to compromise, and it wasn't nearly as cheap as I expected. I got DDR4 right when DDR5 was coming out, so I doubt it will get much cheaper - and certainly not as easy to find.
Koopacabras Aug 24, 2023
I have 16GB of Ram and never ever noticed any hiccups in any game... except those that leak memory in that case ask for a refund instead
(I'm looking at you Last of Us)
that being said, there's probably out there a few handful games that recommend 32GB. But honestly I think it can be worked out if you are willing to compromise some bling.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 24 August 2023 at 4:12 pm UTC
WorMzy Aug 24, 2023
I mostly use my 32G of RAM as tmpfs to host clean chroots for building Arch Linux packages.

tmpfs  /scratch/chroot64   tmpfs defaults,size=25g,x-systemd.automount  0 0

Klaas Aug 24, 2023
Quoting: Koopacabrasthat being said, there's probably out there a few handful games that recommend 32GB. But honestly I think it can be worked out if you are willing to compromise some bling.
Cities: Skylines with DLCs does not work with 24 GB without SWAP.
eldaking Aug 24, 2023
Quoting: Klaas
Quoting: Koopacabrasthat being said, there's probably out there a few handful games that recommend 32GB. But honestly I think it can be worked out if you are willing to compromise some bling.
Cities: Skylines with DLCs does not work with 24 GB without SWAP.

Uh, and back close to release (up to Snowfall) I played it (more like suffered it) with 8 GB. Sure, on minimum and only small cities with (almost) no mods and it was still slow, but it ran.

But yeah it is 100% the kind of game I'd expect to benefit from a ton of RAM, and not only because it uses Unity which is awful at freeing memory (not an issue at all for most games, but big 3D games like Cities Skylines and Battletech suffer). Big management games just have too many elements being calculated constantly, especially late game, and that is not even counting the assets to display those elements. Once you add mods (and those games are perfect for modding) you need even more stuff loaded into memory at once. So Factorio, Satisfactory, Cities: Skylines, Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress and the like are big RAM eaters. Also 4X and other large strategy games, if you push map size too far (some games allow you to select absurd map sizes if you can run them, and RAM does matter though CPU is also a big bottleneck).
mylka Aug 24, 2023
i was sick of firefox caching youtube, twitch, etc on my SSD and wrote up to 20GB per day. (it is not that bad since my SSD has a TBW of 600TB, but i do not wanna stress my SSD if i do not have to) i found no other way than using Profile-sync-daemon (i puts the whole browser cache in RAM)

i dont know why browsers do not use RAM as streaming cache

so i upgraded my RAM to 32GB since it was pretty cheap. and it is so much cheaper NOW. i mean you get 32GB DDR4 for around 50€. of course i take it

Last edited by mylka on 24 August 2023 at 10:50 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.