Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
New Member, Surprised that this many users have 32GB of RAM
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
Koopacabras Aug 24, 2023
Quoting: eldakingnot an issue at all for most games, but big 3D games like Cities Skylines and Battletech suffer
hehe funny you mention it... since in my own research, Battletech LEAKS memory. In my steam review I precisely mentioned that. It consumes much more RAM on Linux than on Windows.
Otoh how many games out there use more than 16GB? a dozen? 30? just trying to guess. it would still be a rather small sample. And Imho most of them it's because of poor coding practices.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 24 August 2023 at 11:17 pm UTC
Linux_Rocks Aug 25, 2023
I've got 128GB of DDR4-3600 RAM. I had the money at the time & just said fuck it & maxed it out. My performance did improve slightly going from 2 32GB sticks to 4 32GB sticks though.
iwantlinuxgames Aug 26, 2023
16core Threadripper 1950X
16TB nvme ssd RAID0 array(4x4TB nvme ssd)
Nvidia RTX 4070
96GB RAM
2x 43in OLED HDTV dual-head display(wall-mounted)

yes.
it's overkill.

Last edited by iwantlinuxgames on 26 August 2023 at 3:21 pm UTC
kaiman Aug 27, 2023
I rebuild my PC last year, and went from 8GB to 32GB, in the hope that this will last the next cycle without the need to further upgrade. I got 2 16GB sticks, so there's the option at least.

I was definitely noticing that 8GB were no longer enough (Crusader Kings III in late game was constantly using more than that). And since the machine needs to last the next 5 - 6 years, merely doubling the size didn't feel sustainable.

And even with the still somewhat inflated prices of last year, those 32GB did not cost much more than the 8GB did 7 years prior. I'd probably start crying if I'd look up what they cost now.
whizse Aug 27, 2023
I have that thing where I'm really unfocused. I play one game, switch out of it to do some task, forget I was in the middle of playing and start a different game. This usually happens again and again until I run out of memory.

At this point I usually take a long hard look at my life and say to myself "What you really need is more RAM".
Rhythagoras Aug 28, 2023
Having more memory can be pretty important on source-based distros.

Compiling qemu with LTO on my system consumes all 24GB of memory available and starts swapping. For that, I wish I had more RAM.

I haven't close to using it all as far as gaming goes though.
Grogan Aug 28, 2023
Quoting: RhythagorasHaving more memory can be pretty important on source-based distros.

Compiling qemu with LTO on my system consumes all 24GB of memory available and starts swapping. For that, I wish I had more RAM.

I haven't close to using it all as far as gaming goes though.

That's probably partly your kernel's behaviour (with the swap), it hates to drop pagecache. But yes, LTO builds (esp. -j10 or so) use a lot of RAM. I'm about to start a firefox build (a profile guided, LTO build) that is going to use 10+ Gb of RAM for some jobs (actual use)

I've got an older chipset, that only takes 24 (6 dimms x 4 Gb... triple channel lol) but I've only got 18 Gb because 3 of them are only 2 Gb dimms that I took out of another system. Same RAM, just smaller dimms. I haven't really needed more, but if I'd have known I was going to keep this system this long I'd have probably maxed it. There is no point now (I'm still procrastinating, but there's a new build in the offing)

My next build is likely to be a Rocket Lake i9, with Z590 based board. 4 dimms x 32 Gb = 128. I will be maxing that out right from the get go this time.

Last edited by Grogan on 28 August 2023 at 7:23 pm UTC
saellaven Aug 28, 2023
I run Gentoo and use a ram disk to hold source that is getting compiled. ungoogled-chromium and qtwebenginge are pigs in that regard, so with 64 GB, I can hold them in ram and churn 16 threads to finish compiling faster.
Amy1122 Aug 29, 2023
Quoting: d-_-bAm I old fashioned, or do these user RAM stats seem to be slightly embellished by at least one or two units of 8 ?
It's possible that the user RAM stats might be slightly embellished by adding one or two units of 8, making the numbers appear larger than they actually are. This could be due to a misunderstanding or an attempt to make the specs seem more impressive. Always double-check specifications from reliable sources to ensure accuracy.
Grogan Aug 29, 2023
Quoting: Amy1122Always double-check specifications from reliable sources to ensure accuracy.

You mean, call the people saying they have 64 Gb of RAM liars and have them prove it to you?

That people think this is incredible to have 64 Gb of RAM in this day and age is more of a failing to understand that there's more to computing than their little tiddly winks games.

These insinuations are insulting.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.