You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Chromebook spin 514 debian 11 wine not install
Nazarych Dec 17, 2023
Hello. My name is Nazar. I am new to Linux. Installed wine from this site:

https://www.getdroidtips.com/run-window ... hromebook/

I downloaded the file from this site:

https://h3hota.com/en/download

I've been trying to run the file for days. In order not to make it worse, I decided to give up and ask for help.

wine hota.exe

0080:fixme:hid:handle_IRP_MN_QUERY_ID Unhandled type 00000005

010c:fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub

010c:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (00010086, 1): stub

010c:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0001008E, 00010086): stub

010c:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0001008E): stub

010c:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0001008E, L"Installing"): stub

0090:fixme:imm:ImeSetActiveContext (0000000000010026, 0): stub

0090:fixme:imm:ImmReleaseContext (0000000000010020, 0000000000010026): stub

010c:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0002009C c051 1 00000000

010c:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0003009C c051 1 00000000
pleasereadthemanual Dec 18, 2023
It looks like some Linux users have submitted reports for Horn of the Abyss on AppDB, a site for testing a program's compatibility with Wine. Someone reported it working perfectly with Wine almost 3 years ago without any workarounds required.

I don't use ChromeOS, but I don't suppose there's much difference if there's a Debian system on top. That being said, I don't know if I can help much. Some more details would help others help you.

Good questions to answer to start with:

1. What problems are you facing? Does the window launch? Does it launch but the window is black? Be specific.
2. What is the output of wine --version ?
3. What GPU do you have? Nvidia or AMD? Or are you using an integrated graphics card on your CPU (given you're using a Chromebook, this seems likely)

More details can only help.

If you're having trouble setting up Wine properly, you can try giving CrossOver a go. They also have some customer support. Looks like someone on macOS was able to get it working with CrossOver.

Last edited by pleasereadthemanual on 18 December 2023 at 12:12 pm UTC
Nazarych Dec 19, 2023
Thanks for the answer.
1.After the command "wine" and the name of the file - only what I wrote in the post. No window starts. The only thing is that I can't write a new command until some time has passed.
2. wine-8.0.2
3. Processor - AMD Ryzen 3 3250C (Video core - AMD Radeon RX Vega 3)
pleasereadthemanual Dec 19, 2023
Quoting: NazarychThanks for the answer.
1.After the command "wine" and the name of the file - only what I wrote in the post. No window starts. The only thing is that I can't write a new command until some time has passed.
2. wine-8.0.2
3. Processor - AMD Ryzen 3 3250C (Video core - AMD Radeon RX Vega 3)
It looks like you're using the Wine Stable branch, which only gets updated once a year and is missing hundreds of more experimental features that could help your game work. You could try installing Wine Staging and see if that works.

Seeing as your issue appears to be graphics related, maybe try installing DXVK? Right now, you're likely using Wine's built-in WineD3D renderer (it uses OpenGL), which doesn't seem to be working out. DXVK is known to be more compatible with games. Usually I would install DXVK with Winetricks, but I don't know how you'd go about that on ChromeOS.

I would really recommend giving the CrossOver trial a go. It's completely free, includes the entire program and requires very little setup. If you like it, you can pay for it after 14 days. Enabling DXVK is also really easy in CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/linuxtutorial/dxvk
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.