Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Battle.net installed still won't work
interrupt Dec 22, 2023
I've tried all workarounds suggested everywhere and nothing gets the installer past 45% in that "Updating Battl.net Update Agent" screen.

Software (all download/installed again on Dec 22):
Battle.net
Steam 1702079146
GE-Proton8-25 (installed with Protonp-Qt)

This was my command options in Steam before I tried to install it again:

DXVK_FILTER_DEVICE_NAME="3050" DXVK_ASYNC=1 DXVK_HUD=compiler DXVK_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 ___NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia _GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=1 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=1 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=/home/user/.cache/battlenet %command%

I also tried just:

WINE_SIMULATE_WRITECOPY=1 %command%

I also tried Proton Experimental instead of GE-Proton8-25 just to see if the installer would work.

I see people cheering that the above fixes it for them but I've been unable to even install Battle.net from scratch (I erased all .wine, .steam, etc, and started from scratch.. no luck).
interrupt Dec 23, 2023
I got some luck with Proton7-55, it moves past 45% and gets to the login screen after a while but never really opens the main window.
Highball Dec 24, 2023
Hey, I use it through bottles and have used it through Steam. Which are you using?
interrupt Dec 24, 2023
Quoting: HighballHey, I use it through bottles and have used it through Steam. Which are you using?

I've tried Steam and Lutris. I'll give Bottle a try, thanks.
Highball Dec 24, 2023
I haven't used Lutris in a long time. Lutris sort of stagnated, but recently got a lot of great updates. I just haven't tried it out. There is a premade Battle.net installer for bottles that I recommend to use. After the premade installer is done I go to settings and change somethings, but shouldn't be necessary. For the runner I use the latest wine-ge-proton8 but the latest soda works fine as well. There is a section under settings for Display where you can enable the use of your descrete graphics card. I don't have a discrete graphics card so you'll have to give it a shot and make sure it enables your Nvidia card. Also the Compatibility section has an Environment Variables section. Add all those vars you have there if you still need them. Under Advanced Display Settings I set the renderer to Vulkan there. One other tip, some things like vkbasalt and gamescope and feral gamemode need tools installed from flatpak. If you just hold your mouse pointer over the slider button, a tool-tip will pop up and show you the flatpak command to type at the terminal. And It seems like the version matters. So make sure you are choosing 22.08 for everything. That's what I remember. I did hear Bottles was going to update to use newer versions, but I don't think that has happened. In any case, the tool-tip usually includes the version you need.
You shouldn't need any dependencies installed if you use the battle.net installer script to create your bottles. If you do install a dependency you have to wait for the spinning arrow to finish and it is very very slow.

Last thing, All your settings are changed and set through your bottle. If you want Steam to launch your game in bottles, there is an ellipses next to the play button of your game title. You can choose "add to steam" from there. Then you have to restart Steam. The name of the game in bottles will be how Steam is able to reference and start it. That name will also be what is displayed to your friends on Steam. So change it before you click "add to steam". When you install a game through the battle.net app at the end if the install it asks if you want to create a shortcut. Make sure the box is checked so that that game will show up in the bottle programs list.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.