Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Running an advert experiment
Page: «4/9»
  Go to:
m2mg2 Jan 13
I could tolerate and understand some level of ads but I find the implementation utterly repulsive and disrespectful. IMO ads should never take more than 15% of screen space and I've seen these take 50-100% of it in different cases on different platforms (computer, mobile). I have loved this site for a long time. I used to enjoy coming here, but now I get a sick feeling when visiting. Not sure that I'll stop visiting, but you've taken a pleasant experience and turned it into an unpleasant one.
m2mg2 Jan 13
This looks really repulsive

Quoting: PlayX
tuubi Jan 13
Quoting: m2mg2This looks really repulsive
Yeah it does. But it's also an obvious joke.

Anyway, as Liam said, you're free to use an ad blocker and he won't hold that against you.
Honestly, I think it looks kinda cool!

Last edited by BlackBloodRum on 13 January 2024 at 8:38 pm UTC
m2mg2 Jan 13
How is it a joke? It looks like what I've been looking at. You shouldn't have to use an adblocker to make a site usable. Also I've seen at least one ad that was deceptive, the whole thing is just dirty. Liam can say what he wants, just like you and I can. It is what it is and I find it disgusting.

It makes me feel like I went to one of those download sites that has 15 ads impersonating the download and maybe, just maybe there is an actual download in there somewhere; and maybe there isn't.

Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: m2mg2This looks really repulsive
Yeah it does. But it's also an obvious joke.

Anyway, as Liam said, you're free to use an ad blocker and he won't hold that against you.

Last edited by m2mg2 on 13 January 2024 at 9:20 pm UTC
tuubi Jan 13
Quoting: m2mg2How is it a joke? It looks like what I've been looking at.
Oh, my mistake then. Maybe it's regional? Doesn't look anything like that here even if I disable my ad blocker for this site.

It does look pretty ridiculous. That's why I assumed it's a joke.
Pengling Jan 13
Quoting: m2mg2Also I've seen at least one ad that was deceptive, the whole thing is just dirty.
Did you report the deceptive ad, as Liam asked?
m2mg2 Jan 13
Quoting: Pengling
Quoting: m2mg2Also I've seen at least one ad that was deceptive, the whole thing is just dirty.
Did you report the deceptive ad, as Liam asked?

No and I'm not going to. I don't really even remember specifics about it. Honestly at first I though my kid got a hold of my phone and installed some garbage on it. After not finding anything out of sorts I looked around and found this page. Was kind of disappointed it wasn't my phone.

It looks like maybe they've been toned down a little. They don't look quite as intrusive as they did the other day. IMO, the ads should be significantly smaller than the content blocks. Blending them in with the content is basically tricking people into paying attention to them and making them bigger than the content blocks is just ridiculous. Having them smaller and to the side instead of mixing them with the content would be better.

I do find advertising to be pretty gross in general on websites. IMO the public is way too accepting of invasive advertising and data collection (as if the industry asked or cared, we really don't have a choice).

Last edited by m2mg2 on 13 January 2024 at 10:11 pm UTC
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: m2mg2How is it a joke? It looks like what I've been looking at.
Oh, my mistake then. Maybe it's regional? Doesn't look anything like that here even if I disable my ad blocker for this site.

It does look pretty ridiculous. That's why I assumed it's a joke.
I was curious too, so I opened ungoogled chromium[1] to check, and my screenshot is how it loaded!

It doesn't look too bad though, as I'd imagine that's how most ads are. It seems typical. It's as I remember it back before I started using adblockers (12+ years probably at this point, as soon as adblock plus originally came out).

There was no pop-ups, so that's good!

[1] I know the browser still says chromium and not ungoogled chromium, that's just because it is chromium but compiled with the ungoogled patches locally rather than using the flatpak for it.
m2mg2 Jan 13
This is from one of my machines. ~90% of the content on the page is ad. Just awful!

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.