Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Gaming Highlights
skinmarquee Mar 11
What's a highlight you had playing a game? Could be beating a game, a moment in a game that stuck with you, or something that psyched you up.

For me it's always beating games. I've probably only beat 50-100 games in my lift. Some of the highlights due to difficulties of the games are:

Star Fox 64
Dragon Warrior
Kings of the Beach (super hard)
Bowser's Inside Story (super hard final boss)
Quake PC

Inspired by a friend of mine who did this a few years ago, I started making a spreadsheet of games I've beaten. This is what I remembered after 5-10 minutes, I will add them as I remember them and finish them.

PS: Anyone know an EASIER game than Mario is Missing?

I'm only including what I deem major releases btw.

Last edited by skinmarquee on 11 March 2024 at 4:39 am UTC
Pengling Mar 11
Ooh, this is a good thread!

One of my favourite moments in any game was the twist in Super Bomberman R (2017 and has since had a sequel, so I think the statute of limitations on spoilers is up by now ) where a recurring lower-level bad-guy who'd been in the series for decades turned out to be the Bomber-family's long-lost sister, who they then had to rescue from a mind-controlling robot-necromancing maniac, along with saving a small group of other robots who'd worked together with the lost sibling in previous games. That had a really sweet conclusion and the game ended with the family reunited, as well as the universe saved once again (as is the norm ). It's still one of my favourite moments in the entire series.

Another was an entirely emergent thing: I was exploring in MineClone2 in Minetest (I like to generate random worlds and just go exploring with damage off and the "nodrown" mod enabled, when I'm not playing mini-games from the ContentDB ), and found myself at the top of a sheer cliff and couldn't see what was at the bottom, so I decided to just leap down. After a long fall I found myself in a cute little village nestled at the bottom. I expected to land in a river or something, and it was just such a neat moment to find myself surrounded by villagers instead, before stumbling into a nearby inn to rest in a bed there.

Yet another was being left stunned by the heartbreaking bad ending at the end of my first playthrough of the utterly-charming puzzle-platformer Tanglewood - I hadn't realised that the collectible fireflies would actually have such an important effect! I then immediately started again, determined to see the good ending to the story this time, and I found it so incredibly heartwarming when I did. After that, a younger relative took interest in the game after seeing me playing it, and we played through it together (the first time we played through any game together), which just made it even more memorable.

Last edited by Pengling on 11 March 2024 at 12:24 pm UTC
Liam Dawe Mar 11
Have moved this to the main chat forum, as for some reason it was posted in the feedback forum.
Mezron Mar 11
Quake TDM with my wife and her sisters back in 2013. We went to a Quake Con-like LAN party in Manhattan NYC. We all had matching t-shirts and everything. We went up against these dudes that were super in GWAR and ran 2 15 minute matches with them.

We did pretty good on the first set but lost but won the final set. We took some great photos and the leader of their group gave us goodie bags with Quake stickers and candy. It was a super nice event. We ran into them again at the Long Island Retro Festival last year.
CatKiller Mar 11
Guns of Icarus Online. Hadn't been playing that long. I was a gunner on a Pyramidion. The captain bailed partway into the match (3v3, I think? Or maybe 4v4. A big match, anyway), and gunner is pretty useless without someone to steer the boat so I took over the helm. With no piloting tools and no real knowledge of the map I wrestled that ship around, and the engineers were ruthless in the executions I lined up as well as keeping the ship alive. 15 minutes of pure adrenaline, and our little ship dominated that match.

Later on, when I was more experienced in the game, I had some other good moments, but that match stands out.

The flamethrower is a pretty rubbish weapon - very limited range, doesn't do much damage, and there's an in-game mechanism to stop things catching fire - and sometimes I would take out a ship that only had flamethrowers. It would get roundly mocked in the lobby, and the opponents would anticipate an easy match - heck even my crew would sometimes think it was a bad plan. I gave my crew one instruction: paint liberally with fire. And once the match started our opponents could do nothing to evade inexorable painful death. Every one of those matches was sweet.

Last edited by CatKiller on 11 March 2024 at 6:34 pm UTC
skinmarquee Mar 12
Quoting: Liam DaweHave moved this to the main chat forum, as for some reason it was posted in the feedback forum.

No idea how that happened, thanks.
Started playing .hack//G.U. Last Recode since my new laptop can actually run it. The .hack series is a favorite of mine. G.U. isn't as good as the original. When I got the first game, I knew it was the first part of four. I played the anime disc that came with it. My wife wanted to watch the next part. I said it wasn't out yet. She was annoyed and forced me to play the game to learn more of the story.
tfk Mar 15
BombJack on the C64.
skinmarquee Mar 21
Here's one... seeing the fullscreen cutscene with Ninja Gaiden dude scrolling over to a castle on NES. I may have never seen it without the help of saves on NES classic. It's awesome.

https://youtu.be/jgRgO9LC67o?si=6b3fmtxQs1Gzm5u5&t=569
I had another cool moment recently. These are probably everyday thangs if you play a lot of games...

I have an Xbox One S 1 TB and I filled it with games. One of them is Street Fighter IV (Xbox 360.) It's been getting more playtime than most as I've been trying to collect all the videos by playing a match with every character. I realised I have no idea who I've played with so I started from the top left. I would win 2-3 maybe 4 fights with each fighter. I THINK it was Zangief (probably, one of the easier fighters) who I started winning a tonne of matches. I won about 6-8 matches then It really escalated quickly and I was fighting a Robot thing who would suck me into his belly. It was awesome but I lost.

Does anyone know if Seth is the final boss or is Gouken the true final boss. Wikipedia just says Gouken is a hidden character... i found out... Gouken is the true final boss to me, I want to unlock all the characters.

Last edited by skinmarquee on 6 April 2024 at 6:30 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.