Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Weekend Players' Club 3/15/2024
G'Day fellow tuxers……. Its Bruce your host here once again…….

[+..••] As for gaming this week in Emulationville I played [+..••]

Console

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)
Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Football)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)
MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)
NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1995 Acclaim) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)
NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)
NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)
Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (2006 Konami) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Soccer)
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (1999 Capcom) - Sony PlayStation - Survival Horror
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (2003 Capcom) - Nintendo GameCube - Survival Horror
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

PC

WRC 10 FIA World Rally Championship (2021 Nacon) - Steam - Sports (Racing)
My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis…...

Resident Evil….. Running out of ideas already???…...

The graphics….. Are nice for the PS1….. They are still doing a great job with the prerendered backgrounds….. And it has really nice detail……

The human and enemy models are again very well done and look really nice….. Nemesis himself does look really nice and intimidating……. And thats where the praise for Nemesis ends…...

The sounds……. Nemesis sounds like shite……. Every time he is defeated by Jill….. He says “S.T.A.R.S.” its a really goofy cartoonish way……. Totally killed any thought of him being a serious hardcore threat to Jill……

The rest of the sounds are…… fine….. Voice acting is again good and the music is rather nice…… Nothing special….. Just very passable…….

The controls……... Tank controls….. Need I say more???…….

The storyline....… Jill Valentine makes her return to the series…….. And she is a complete moron now…… Wearing lose fitting clothes that are easier for the zombies to grab……. Not carrying her lockpick at all times……. Doesnt know the layout of the RPD building…… A building she works in……. Has complete trust in Carlos the Umbrella mercenary straight away…… Without question…..

The main storyline is that Jill needs to escape Raccoon while the Super T-virus infected “Nemesis” stalks her and tries to kill her repeatedly…...

Can Jill survive??…… Or will Nemesis grab her lose fitting clothing as she tries to find a key for a simple lock she cant unlock because she left her lockpick in the S.T.A.R.S. Office in a building she doesnt know the layout off even though she works there and goes to the S.T.A.R.S. Office all the time……..

The gameplay…… Same as the other RE games…… Its not bad at all and quite good….. But the level layouts are are very maze like…… And its very easy to get lost I found…….

Overall…… Much weaker than the first two games in the series…… Jill is turned into a complete moron who doesnt even know the basic layout of the building she works in…….. While completely trusting Umbrella goons without question…….. And doesnt carry a lockpick with her at all times even after the Spencer Mansion incident.......

This is not the Jill Valentine that survived the Spencer Mansion incident……...

And that is why my final score for Resident Evil 3: Nemesis is a Jill Sandwich out of 10……...

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis……...

The Road To PES Penguin 6

The road to unlock the PES Penguin in Pro Evolution Soccer 6 is at 3750 PES points out of 5000……….

Other Screenshots……...

Madden NFL 2003 (2002 EA Sports) - Nintendo Gamecube - Sports (Football)

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (2003 Capcom) - Nintendo GameCube - Survival Horror

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) - Nintendo GameCube - Sports (Baseball)

MVP Baseball 2005 (2005 EA Sports) – Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Baseball)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (2000 Activision) - Sega Dreamcast - Sports (Skateboarding)

International Superstar Soccer 2000 (2000 Konami) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Soccer)

NFL Blitz (1998 Midway) - Nintendo 64 - Sports (Football)

NBA Live 2005 (2004 EA Sports) - Sony PlayStation 2 - Sports (Basketball)

NBA Jam Tournament Edition (1995 Acclaim) - Sega Mega Drive - Sports (Basketball)

WRC 10 FIA World Rally Championship (2021 Nacon) - Steam - Sports (Racing)

My Summer Car (2016 Amistech Games) - Steam - Simulation

Well thats it from me…… Hope all you tuxers have a good week……

Now for my bad joke of the week……
Q: Why did the life guard not save drowning hippie???........
A: He was too far out man..........
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Pengling Mar 16
I've got two picks this weekend, one of them being from the currently-ongoing Steam Spring Sale.

First up is Doodle World Deluxe (Proton), which is an emulator-wrapped modern indie NES game* made by a dad, his daughter, and a chiptune composer. Well, it's technically two emulator-wrapped modern indie NES games - the original Doodle World, and the tweaked Doodle World Redrawn, which is the version that I'm playing.

The game depicts a world within a notebook (with a lined background and spiral-binding on the status-bar), and sees protagonist Doodle (a cute creature obviously drawn by a child - more info on that here ), setting out to retrieve the magical crayon (which was used to create his world), which was stolen by the evil King Eraser and his villainous crew of office-supplies. I love this idea of the creative fighting against the mundane, especially when they've all got so much in common to begin with.

The game has a lovely crayon-drawing art-style, which is even reflected in the default border for the game being a desk with even more drawings on it, which is a super-cool touch. Aside from that, it has the standard features that the Nami Tentou-published emulator-wrapped NES games all have (art viewer and soundtrack player from the main menu, and graphics-settings and save/load state slots which you can press L & R to access whilst actually in-game), and that's all that it really needs to have. It works great on the Steam Deck, as they all do. Super-charming is the term that I would use to describe the whole thing, and that's exactly what I wanted out of it.

Second up is Super Bomberman R 2 (Proton), which has spilled over from last weekend because I didn't end up having very much gaming-time then or throughout the week, and also partly because R 2 is quite a bit longer than R 1 due to each area in R 2's maps being a lot bigger than the individual stages in R 1.

It's clear from how the battle-mode is still inflicted with dumb-as-a-stump AIs six months on, that the single-player story-mode is the game's focus (R 1's battle-mode has less features and modes, but the much-better AIs mean that it's still the more enjoyable of the two right now - I'm still hoping for R 2 to get an update to bring the AIs up to par with R 1's), and I still absolutely bloody love it. It really is a great twist on the series and has gotten some incredibly unfair flack.

There seem to be no signs on SteamDB of further patches being in testing right now, so I'm hopeful that the next update will be a big one released on the game's first anniversary and be along the lines of the final update for the first Super Bomberman R, which added a new world to the story-mode and a new mode to the battle-mode. If R 2's going to get similar treatment, I'm already looking forward to it.

[+..••] Other stuff that I played this week;

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64)

Splody (Native Linux)

Spooky's Jump Scare Mansion: HD Renovation (Proton)

Worms Armageddon (Proton)

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis……...
Well done, Jill.

Quoting: StoneColdSpider
Well done, Claire.

Quoting: StoneColdSpiderNow for my bad joke of the week……
Q: Why did the life guard not save drowning hippie???........
A: He was too far out man..........
*ba dum.... tssssh…...*
Man, that was deep.

Last edited by Pengling on 16 March 2024 at 5:22 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.