Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare on Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS
saguaro05l Mar 21
Hello everyone, I am looking to get CoD4 work on Ubuntu 20.04.6.
I am using the non-steam version and also lutris.
But i get only the third of the fps i get on windows 10.
Can someone give me any tips for me to improve that, and also i have an issue when joining a server from linux,
it says that i need to login to Steam first in order to join, i know that is because of linux it self, but could that be fixed?
Thanks in advance.
What is your CPU, GPU, kernel and GPU driver ? What version of Wine are you using ? Have you enabled DXVK or VKD3D yet ? You say you're using the non Steam version, what does that mean ? Epic Store or something ? What frame rate were you getting on Windows and what are you getting on Linux ?

One thing I will mention from my experience is that Lutris sometimes has issues with using Esync and Fsync which are features that can improve framerate depending on the game. I would recommend trying Heroic Games Launcher as they have never given me trouble using those features.

https://heroicgameslauncher.com/

Last edited by PublicNuisance on 23 March 2024 at 6:37 pm UTC
saguaro05l Mar 26
Hello, thank you for your answer.
Here is my system information:
CPU: i3 2100
GPU & driver: Nvidia GT 430, 390.157 (proprietary)
Ubuntu version: 20.04.6
Kernel version: 5.15.0-101-generic
Wine: wine-9.0 is installed on my pc, also tried lutris-fshack-6.21-6 (found this one works the best) and tried a couple of older wine versions provided by lutris.
I did not enable DXVK or VKD3D because my drivers are not supported and i can't use those features.
By non-steam i meant downloaded the patched game from the internet.
With this hardware i was getting minimum 100 fps on windows and max over 150, on linux i get minimum around 40, max around 100 (and that is when i turn my head by the wall and not doing anything).
I will try Heroic Games Launcher and post the results when i do that. Thanks again for helping.
whizse Mar 26
Wasn't CoD4 OpenGL? If so, DXVK wouldn't make a difference anyway.
Quoting: saguaro05lHello, thank you for your answer.
Here is my system information:
CPU: i3 2100
GPU & driver: Nvidia GT 430, 390.157 (proprietary)
Ubuntu version: 20.04.6
Kernel version: 5.15.0-101-generic
Wine: wine-9.0 is installed on my pc, also tried lutris-fshack-6.21-6 (found this one works the best) and tried a couple of older wine versions provided by lutris.
I did not enable DXVK or VKD3D because my drivers are not supported and i can't use those features.
By non-steam i meant downloaded the patched game from the internet.
With this hardware i was getting minimum 100 fps on windows and max over 150, on linux i get minimum around 40, max around 100 (and that is when i turn my head by the wall and not doing anything).
I will try Heroic Games Launcher and post the results when i do that. Thanks again for helping.

Thanks for the info. I was worried you might be using out of date stuff such as a really old version of Wine or something but everything seems fine. I Might be able to test the Steam version in the next few days. If so I will try it on both my onboard Intel GPU as well as my RX 590 and see what kind of performance I get as a comparison.

Quoting: whizseWasn't CoD4 OpenGL? If so, DXVK wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Been many years since I played a MW game so I wasn't sure.
That would be great, whenever you have time do that test and post the results here.
Thank you very much!
Quoting: whizseWasn't CoD4 OpenGL? If so, DXVK wouldn't make a difference anyway.

According to PCGamingWiki it uses DirectX 9.0c on Windows and OpenGL on MacOS. Unless I looked up the wrong game I get confused at COD titles as they sometimes repeat.

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 4 April 2024 at 7:22 am UTC
Quoting: saguaro05lI did not enable DXVK or VKD3D because my drivers are not supported and I can't use those features.

Absolutely correct. Also on early nVidia GPUs (I myself have a GT 730M in one of my still active systems) Vulkan performance was not that good anyway.

However the downside of this is you have to use WineD3D which is known for having some noticeable performance regression even on older games.

For example: https://youtu.be/_uZD5yBwMzk?feature=shared&t=153

Unfortunately I do not own CoD4 any more to counter test this on my Laptop which is only one Intel CPU generation more recent than your hardare (i5-3230M + GT 730M). I once had a "backup copy" from a friend but that one got lost.

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 4 April 2024 at 7:33 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.