Anyone on Ubuntu 24 (alpha) ?
I started using Kubuntu 24 alpha 20 days ago... and after the xz vulnerability, they decided to recompile every single package. So the repos are a bit messy atm. Had to switch to Kubuntu 22. I recommend staying away of Ubuntu 24 for the moment until they fully sync the repos and finalize compiling everything.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 4 April 2024 at 10:08 pm UTC
Bestia Apr 5
It's almost a Beta now.

Yeah, the recompilation was necessary. You don't want to have an insecure install, I certainly don't want that.

I just stop upgrading packages when this happend, because apt wanted to remove a lot of packages. Now I'm just patiently waiting for the moment when all the packages will be ready.

That is my strategy whenever I have this kind of situation on Ubuntu. I mean apt wanting to remove multiple packages that seem to be useful or necessary. Also I like to use proposed repo. I didn't enable it before the xz shit, but I thought I had. Now it is enabled.

The number of packages that are upgradable increases all the time. First it was 6 hundred something than just above 1 thousand and today morning I have 1670 packages to upgrade.

Last edited by Bestia on 5 April 2024 at 6:06 am UTC
Didnt know that of proposed repos... In my end it looks like 1800 can be updated and only 200 either deleted or not updated.
Bestia Apr 6
Quoting: KoopacabrasDidnt know that of proposed repos... In my end it looks like 1800 can be updated and only 200 either deleted or not updated.

Now I also have 1819 packages to upgrade. I wouldn't upgrade if there was several dozen packages to be removed and anything above 100 is a huge number.

Also running sudo apt upgrade in terminal on my end:

Quote952 updated, 3 newly installed, 0 removed and 867 not updated.
It is necessary to download 907 MB of archives.
After this operation, an additional 13.1 MB of disk space will be used.

That looks good, but I still wonder, what will happen with the other packages. Maybe the ones, that get updated now will conflict with the ones, that stayed at current version. So I'm still waiting, before actually starting the upgrade.
Bestia Apr 6
There is also still ongoing time_t transition which is big.

https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time

Ubuntu is still based on Debian and many devs are still working in both projects.

Quotetime_t appears all over the place. 6429 of Debian's 35960 packages have time_t in the source. Packages which expose structs in their ABI which contain time_t will change their ABI. All such libraries need to migrate together, as is the case for any library ABI change.

https://people.canonical.com/~vorlon/armhf-time_t/

Also there is this in the ubuntu-devel mailing list: Attention upgrading Noble systems and Missing t64 transitions

https://magenta.jak-linux.org/ubuntu-archive/distcheck/noble.armhf/global-ben.missing-t64.txt

Last edited by Bestia on 6 April 2024 at 8:23 am UTC
Bestia Apr 7
So I decided it's time to upgrade. First with sudo apt upgrade there was 960 packages to upgrade and none to remove.

After that I either did a logout or reboot and was greeted with greyish screen with Ooops! something went wrong text.

So GDM was borked. I switched to VT and from there started Openbox, which got me something to work with. I checked for updates again. The upgrade wouldn't do any upgrades, so I decided to run sudo apt full-upgrade this time there was 223 packages to be removed. I looked at those and pretty much all of them were libs and then a couple of programs. 904 packages to be upgraded (among them various gdm) and 212 newly installed, this got me GDM working.

Unfortunately Unity my prefered DE doesn't start now. So I have that to resolve.
Bestia Apr 7
Also the daily-live images of Ubuntu and its flavors are building now.
Bestia Apr 9
Unity works

Today the devs fixed problem with Unity. The packages didn't show up yet in apt, but I couldn't wait so I downloaded them manually and installed with sudo apt install (and drag and drop of packages onto terminal) so I didn't have to type to much.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/noble-changes/2024-April/036273.html

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/46.0-1ubuntu3/+build/28041509

Also the big churn of updates is over. I have upgraded all of the packages, there are still some in regards to t_time transition that show up and I have 3 held packages.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.