Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Why Free Games Don't Work
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
Lol... tiny. As I tried to explain on your Discord, Final Fantasy I is almost as big of an engineering project as Fallout 3. If you don't agree you haven't made both. Or do you for some ignorant reason think bigger file size is BETTER? A lot of work went into making those files small. It's a skill you seem to be ignorant of.
Lol... tiny, I'll take that as a compliment then, as that was one of my main goals, especially with Monster RPG 3, Dog-O and MOMENTUM. Particularly Monster RPG 3, if only you knew all the wild stuff I did to make a ~3-4 hour RPG 1.5 MB.

And the point about price tag... I want to make free, open source games. Karma will bite those who take when they have the money to donate. Which is what I'm all about. I want the games to be free for people who can't afford them.

Last edited by skinmarquee on 8 April 2024 at 8:18 am UTC
Liam Dawe Apr 8
Honestly, with the greatest respect, you sound like you have no idea what you're doing and expect your games to be bigger just because you put effort into them.

This is not how the world works. No one cares unless you make them care, and again, when there's thousands upon thousands of other free (and plenty open source), you have to do better at cutting through the noise with both marketing and good games people actually want to play.
Thanks Liam. I'll take it from all your years of Running A Website On The Dole that you know more about games than a 30 year game developer who ran Linux 10 years before you. Advertising... lol!
Liam Dawe Apr 8
Quoting: skinmarqueeThanks Liam. I'll take it from all your years of Running A Website On The Dole that you know more about games than a 30 year game developer who ran Linux 10 years before you. Advertising... lol!
Sounds like I hit a nerve. Maybe try actually taking advice from the guy who has successfully written about games, making a success out of what's a tiny niche, for 13+ years - rather than stooping to a ridiculous false personal attack before you get banned.

30 years? Sure, but apparently you don't know how to use it, you're here complaining about what you're doing not working and then giving a personal attack when given pretty normal advice I give to developers all the time.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 8 April 2024 at 9:12 am UTC
akselmo Apr 8
There was also this weird thing with perceived value: if something looks good but costs 2e, people are wondering why it's so cheap or may be like "I'll buy it later"

But if same product has like 6e cost, it may actually sell more. Because it looks more valuable and worth their time.

The difficult thing is to balance that.

I have 10 years of hobby gamedev experience, but I don't think I know anything. I do know that since my games are "donationware" they won't make as much money as they probably could. But that's fine, I made them for people to enjoy as a practice, not as a product to be sold.

Maybe in future I will sell some bigger project I make and we'll see if I have any more data to share about this :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.