Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
DiRT Rally Benchmark
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
I ran the DiRT Rally in-game Benchmark with the following settings:

- Resolution 2560x1440
- Anti-Aliasing: 8x MSAA
- Preset: Very High

Disclaimer: Native Linux version seem to no longer work and I switched to using Proton Experimental. Wished I could have re-test native Linux vs. Proton. again *sad noises*

Best out of two:
- Avg FPS: 172,46
- Min FPS: 141,25
- Max FPS: 223,37

System:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 (Driver: 550.67)
RAM: 16GB DDR5-4800 + ZRAM
Flatpak Runtime: 23.08 (Flatpak Steam)
Proton: experimental-9.0-20240328c
DXVK: v2.3.1-3-g855b2746

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 7 April 2024 at 7:25 pm UTC
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticDisclaimer: Native Linux version seem to no longer work and I switched to using Proton Experimental. Wished I could have re-test native Linux vs. Proton. again *sad noises*

Almost like Windows is a more architecturally sound platform that it runs apps from any time. Linux will get there but didn't have the industrial planning Windows did... things just keep changing and so apps stop working.
kaiman Apr 7
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticNative Linux version seem to no longer work
What's the issue?

I had problems in the past getting F1 2017 to run after I upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04. It seemed to rely on functions from glibc that were marked private and have been removed with version 2.34. I found a solution that brings back the functions in question: https://github.com/vkc-1974/XCOM2WotC-f35. Give it a try, maybe it'll work in your case as well.
Quoting: skinmarqueeLinux will get there but didn't have the industrial planning Windows did

There are actually quite a lot of old Software no longer functional on modern versions of Windows. While the same software often times runs fine using Wine on Linux. At least this is my subjective experience since I started using Linux around 2005.

What I call industrial planning though are flatpak and snapcraft runtimes. Which ensure an app or game developed for a specific runtime will keep working even on the most recent system 10 or more years later as it still can make use of the same runtime and thus libraries.

As of why DiRT does no longer works: Well there quite a few reasons but is all boils down to Feral Interactive doing weird hacky things they shouldn't have done in the first place and shipping Ubuntu 16.04 32bit libraries with their game. Again something they should never had to do even back then. Dunno why they did though.

But Feral Interactive Ports, at least their old ones, are famous of not working quite right on anything which is not closely related to the version of Ubuntu they ported the game on.

Two counter examples of native Linux games still working today are: the 1999 Unreal Gold (even without community patches) and Fitzquake SDL
Quoting: kaimanWhat's the issue?

There are two for which I did not yet found a sophisticated solution. Surprisingly even the "usual fixes" I am used to do with Feral ports do no longer work.

1st: They try to discover libraries on their own which fails. But I managed to fix it by overwriting LD_LIBRARY_PATH but this led to the next issue.

2nd: They ship an ancient 32bit version of SDL 2.0.5 which then causes a segmentation fault. Even with the Steam runtime which is based off Ubuntu.

However simply removing their bundled SDL libraries does not solve the issue as it will then no longer find it at all. Not evne the SDL provided by the system or the Steam Runtime. Maybe because of the weird way they try to discover libraries on their own? Dunno.

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 7 April 2024 at 10:17 pm UTC
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticWhat I call industrial planning though are flatpak and snapcraft runtimes. Which ensure an app or game developed for a specific runtime will keep working even on the most recent system 10 or more years later as it still can make use of the same runtime and thus libraries.

Yeah, the problem with those solutions is that is TAKES industrial engineering to produce one of them. They are not 100% future proof either but just as good as Windows binaries would be.

The beauty of Linux is you can install Ubuntu 16.04 if you want to any time. Try getting a copy of Windows 7 or whatever.
Quoting: skinmarqueeThe beauty of Linux is you can install Ubuntu 16.04 if you want to any time
I don't think it will even post on my hardware. Running it inside a VM wouldn't be a great gaming experience I suppose.

Also running EOL operating systems, no matter if it is windows or Linux isn't a very good idea either.
kaiman Apr 8
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticThere are two for which I did not yet found a sophisticated solution. Surprisingly even the "usual fixes" I am used to do with Feral ports do no longer work.
Too bad, but this really seems a completely different beast. F1 2017 is already 64bit, which simplifies things a lot, I guess.

If the segfault happens within SDL, there might at least be a chance to figure out what the cause for that is, and try to fix it, but it likely would need a lot of work and an old 32bit system to compile a suitable replacement. Unless the version they ship with the game has been heavily customized ...
Quoting: kaiman
Quoting: Vortex_AcheronticThere are two for which I did not yet found a sophisticated solution. Surprisingly even the "usual fixes" I am used to do with Feral ports do no longer work.
Too bad, but this really seems a completely different beast. F1 2017 is already 64bit, which simplifies things a lot, I guess.

If the segfault happens within SDL, there might at least be a chance to figure out what the cause for that is, and try to fix it, but it likely would need a lot of work and an old 32bit system to compile a suitable replacement. Unless the version they ship with the game has been heavily customized ...

They have backported a few things from elsewhere yes. But in all honesty I rather just boot up the game using Proton instead of fixing weird Linux ports 😅
tuubi Apr 8
Launches out of the box for me on Mint 21.3 and runs fine, for what it's worth. I can only test at 1080p, but the bench gave me 90 min / 124 avg / 192 max FPS at Ultra / 8x MSAA on my slightly older system (check my PC info for details). I suppose I'll have to test if it stops working after the next major Mint update.

You should always try forcing one of the Steam Linux Runtime versions before doing any manual library trickery, that's often enough to get older games running.
Quoting: tuubiLaunches out of the box for me on Mint 21.3 and runs fine, for what it's worth. I can only test at 1080p, but the bench gave me 90 min / 124 avg / 192 max FPS at Ultra / 8x MSAA on my slightly older system (check my PC info for details). I suppose I'll have to test if it stops working after the next major Mint update.

You should always try forcing one of the Steam Linux Runtime versions before doing any manual library trickery, that's often enough to get older games running.

I did try the Steam Linux runtimes before manually trying to fix it. They do not work either. 😕

Last edited by Vortex_Acherontic on 8 April 2024 at 8:18 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.