Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Colin McRae Rally 3 at 22 years young looking great!
whizse Apr 13
The recent news about boomer racer* Old School Rally made me want to try out the old Colin McRae Rally 3. Released in 2002 it is like so many other sports games no longer for sale anywhere and haven't seen any sort of upkeep like old titles re-released on GOG or Steam.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the muppet* behind the SilentPatches mods have not only worked on the game to make it run on modern systems but made what amounts to almost a remaster two years ago, for the games twentieth anniversary:

- Support for modern systems
- Multiple bugfixes
- HD UI
- (Ultra)widescreen support
- Graphical fixes and improvements
- Support for texture replacements and higher resolution assets
- Game is made portable (no settings in the registry!)

The changelog goes on and on...

Heck, even the cheats function in the game that generates a code you had to exchange for the actual cheat (over the telephone!) have been remade! So much love for this old game!

I posted a few screenshots (with dubious commentary) below but to see the full extent of the changes I highly recommend watching the official trailer!

It does work very well in Proton, but some minor fixes are needed:

- The xcopy call in setup.bat (used to patch the exe) fails and need to be replaced with copy (or copy the file manually and comment out the xcopy call)
- Add a dll override for dinput8.dll (this is how the SilenPatch hooks into the game)
- I could not get separate gas/brake axes to work, only combined. This is supposed to work according to the notes in patch 1.1 so I'm not sure if it's a bug in the game, the patch or Proton?

If in Sweden you stop at any red cottage like this and make the right börk, börk, börk noises, the people inside will serve you meatballs with lingonberries - delicious!

The Queensland girls really knock me out! Ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh! I'm back! Back in the A.U.S!​

It's impossible to have a bad time in Finland. Well, maybe if you complain about the heat in the post-rally sauna or request ketsuppi for your memma?

Ceci n'est pas une rally car.

"You can't park that there sir."

Mechanics hard at work removing the turbot that got stuck in my turbo on Special Stage Bikini Bottom.

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheat? At €1.27 per call, more like listen to the Moneytalks!

* Get over it!
* Not a slur! Actual muppet, check their Github profile!
whizse Apr 13
Texture update pack here. Haven't tried it yet. In my defense it was only released two hours ago!
https://www.moddb.com/mods/colin-mcrae-rally-3-wrc-2002-cars-livery-and-texture-upscale
The muppet patches are actually really good..... Ive used several of his patches in the past for GTA and Bully and some other games......

And unlike the real muppet...... This muppet doesnt waste so much food while eating........
whizse Apr 14
Quoting: StoneColdSpiderThe muppet patches are actually really good..... Ive used several of his patches in the past for GTA and Bully and some other games......

And unlike the real muppet...... This muppet doesnt waste so much food while eating........
They do seem to be good people! The ten year anniversary update on the blog was interesting reading. Pretty cool to go from patching games for fun, to making a living of it, to possibly developing their own game?

"SilentPatch has been thriving as a “brand” and I’ve expanded into many more games, so I hope it continues. I’ve recently also been taking contracts to help re-release older games on modern digital gaming platforms that I suppose can be called “official SilentPatches”; even though they don’t carry the name, internally they work just like SPs, patching the game’s code at runtime 🙂

That said, I have very high hopes for 2024 – if everything goes well (and it still might not), perhaps next year we will see the first game officially released carrying the SilentPatch name… Fingers crossed!"

From https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2023/12/29/silentpatch-10th-anniversary/
Pengling Apr 14
Quoting: whizseThey do seem to be good people! The ten year anniversary update on the blog was interesting reading. Pretty cool to go from patching games for fun, to making a living of it, to possibly developing their own game?

"SilentPatch has been thriving as a “brand” and I’ve expanded into many more games, so I hope it continues. I’ve recently also been taking contracts to help re-release older games on modern digital gaming platforms that I suppose can be called “official SilentPatches”; even though they don’t carry the name, internally they work just like SPs, patching the game’s code at runtime 🙂

That said, I have very high hopes for 2024 – if everything goes well (and it still might not), perhaps next year we will see the first game officially released carrying the SilentPatch name… Fingers crossed!"

From https://cookieplmonster.github.io/2023/12/29/silentpatch-10th-anniversary/
This isn't even something I would be using, since it's not my sort of game, but damn it makes me so happy to see good people get the opportunities they deserve off of the back of their own hard work and talent. Good on them!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.