You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
How to run 32-bit games without 32-bit libraries (Wine thunking)?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 5
Supposedly Wine started supporting a scenario when you can run 32-bit program translating it to 64-bit runtime, i.e. you don't need to install 32-bit system libraries in that case (including even Mesa).

How should Wine prefix be configured to do that? I didn't find any clear info on that.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 May 2024 at 5:34 am UTC
Alexander May 5
Have you just tested to install it as 64Bit Prefix and just run also the 32Bit Executables? Thats the way just everysone does it on Windows without any config.
Shmerl May 5
Yes, I tested that. That still requires 32-bit libraries. So something else is needed.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 May 2024 at 6:23 am UTC
Alexander May 5
But it runs in that Prefix?

Maybe thats all that was achieved. That you can run 32Bit exe in 64 Bit Prefixes. Which is good...

I am not that eager to find out if it is exactly that. But it should be possible if you use a Wine Version older thatn that Patch and create the same 64bit prefix and try to run a 32Bit exe.

Last edited by Alexander on 5 May 2024 at 7:46 am UTC
Shmerl May 5
It doesn't matter that it runs in that prefix. It still uses 32-bit libraries. I need it to use 64-bit system ones.
whizse May 5
Is it enabled by default now?

Did you build Wine withe -enable-archs=i386,x86_64 ? (I think that was the option needed in the past?)
Shmerl May 5
I'm using stock Wine. You mean it needs build flags to enable it and won't work with stock Wine? I can check if those flags help.

And why isn't it enabled by default by the way? It's not working well yet?

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 May 2024 at 9:45 am UTC
mrdeathjr May 5
I use wine vanilla but with ./configure --enable-archs=i386,x86_64

only dont satisfy 2 dependencies: wayland development files because xubuntu 24.04 dont have support (and personally i dont care wayland for now, maybe for 26.04 could be ready for testing in xfce, lxqt stay more advanced in this area seems stay ready for testing in 2.1 or this said lqxt devs)

and oss development files but in this case show libraries are too old

but in my case this allow build wine without 32bit development dependencies

in my case test wine vanilla similar than you want for example i have all 32bit games in same 64bit folder aka c:/program files*

*i dont use app suggesting folder aka c:/program files (x86) personally i dont like this folder and still when i use windows have some problems with this directory on 32bit apps (personally i think about some old apps dont work good with this named directory)

run many games, however some dont running like: assasins creed 1**, bloodrayne 1-2** and others

**this games run using staging

I have two wine actually: wine vanilla (compiled by myself) for old games mostly

and wine staging for newer games (ps4 or xbox one ports mostly or newer) using esync

however mesa drivers is completly different and 32bit could be neccessary for some more time

Last edited by mrdeathjr on 5 May 2024 at 11:09 am UTC
whizse May 5
I'm guessing they're being a bit conservative. The changelog for 9.0 did also mention some limitations for OpenGL with the new WoW64. Not sure if that has been fixed?

https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/releases/wine-9.0#wow64
mrdeathjr May 5
Quoting: whizseI'm guessing they're being a bit conservative. The changelog for 9.0 did also mention some limitations for OpenGL with the new WoW64. Not sure if that has been fixed?

https://gitlab.winehq.org/wine/wine/-/releases/wine-9.0#wow64

yeah as your said this a wip, in recent times stay working more things but need more work

however main goal for wine devs in this case, stay motivated with mac* (because them remove 32bit)

*The new WoW64 mode finally allows 32-bit applications to run on recent macOS versions that removed support for 32-bit Unix processes

Last edited by mrdeathjr on 5 May 2024 at 11:13 am UTC
Shmerl May 5
Thanks for the pointer. I'll try building Wine with that and run The Witcher to see if it works.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.