You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
(Rant) Oops, I preordered Metro Redux for Linux
Crash Nov 6, 2014
As a relatively new (exclusive) Linux gamer, I was still learning some of the harsh truths about devs promising native support when I pre-ordered the Metro Redux set. I was eager to throw my money at Deep Silver after reading about the 4A Engine being Linux compatible. After all, how long would a Linux port take with a Linux-ready engine?

This gave me a lot of hope for a speedy port. So did this. Last year in an interview about Metro: Last Light with Forbes, Chief Technology Officer of 4A Games Oles Shishkovstov noted there are many other platforms, including current and next-gen consoles ... and we must focus our efforts on the biggest audience first. Ten weeks following the release of the Windows and Next Gen Console version of the game and no Mac or Linux versions? How difficult could it possibly be for a AAA studio to prepare an OpenGL port?

I can't help but go to what Liam said in this article concerning another Linux port which was left in the dark for too long: I still don't see what's so hard for developers to be open with communication (Developers could take notes from Aspyr Media on their recent blog posts).

Don't get me wrong, I understand the fear of setting a definite date only to hit a brick wall and have to push it back - along with their Linux fan base. But as far as I can see, Metro Redux was available for pre-order in May and launched August 26th. In that time I've had a child, changed my line of work, and built a new PC. Surely they could have kept us in the loop this whole time. The last update (that I know of) for the Linux versions were given in this interview when we were told about the OpenGL 4 dependency.

This whole situation is very discouraging as a new Linux gamer. Pre-order or not. It certainly wont trifle my loyalty to Linux, but it will affect my purchasing decisions in the future.

On a positive note, Shishkovstov mentioned a sand-box-style game currently in the works during the above interview. When asked if their next game would be built from the ground up he replied Definitely. Hopefully this translates to a quicker Mac/Linux release for this title and future titles by 4A Games.

Has anyone heard anything from 4A Games about the Linux version of Redux? Was there something I missed? Maybe I'm just being impatient. What do you guys think of all of this?
Liam Dawe Nov 6, 2014
I feel for you as the lessons with 7 Days To Die stopped me backing crowdfunding games personally. I also never, ever pre-order unless the Linux version is confirmed for day 1.

Haven't heard anything new on it myself, but I did just tweet to the developers for you. If anything comes of it I will do an article to highlight it.
Crash Nov 6, 2014
Thanks! This has got to be the friendliest community in the Linux wastelands. I'm looking forward to the potential article.
EKRboi Nov 6, 2014
I pre-ordered the Redux bundle because there was a penguin icon on the page and didn't pay attention to the "Linux later" near the bottom and about a weekish later they removed the penguin icon. It was frustrating for sure. I do still have a windows install but I have still not installed either of them even though I'm pretty sure at this point my purchase will not be counted as a Linux sale anyways.

FWIW, they basically dropped a horribly broken game on the windows crowd and only put out one quick update that didn't really fix any of the issues and they have been stuck with a barely working game ever since, and with no comments from the devs for them either.

You can see from the steamdb that they have been working on it, but what REALLY ticks me off is that there was never suppose to be a Mac version.. and guess what, now they are working on a mac version as well. I think they should have focused on getting the game out to the platforms they promised it to first.

The Metro series has been one of my favorites, but this whole experience with the Redux versions has left a horrible taste in my mouth for 4A. The excuse I have seen for not enough open communication (read: NONE) is that they are not english speakers... I call BULL SHIT! Put out dev updates in your native tongue, the community WILL handle the rest. It really is that simple.

When we finally do get them, I hope they have some very good excuses for how this whole thing has gone down. Would be nice if Liam gets a reply, but I am not holding my breath that is for sure.
Cimeryd Nov 7, 2014
After Metro:LL kept crashing randomly on Linux, I decided to hold off on buying Redux until I heard it running well on Linux. Dodged this bullet, I suppose. Too bad such companies exist that exploit good faith and ruin pre-orders for proper companies.
Crash Nov 8, 2014
One thing I was not aware of is that 4A Games' headquarters were in Kiev until May. Following the unrest in the Ukraine they moved to Malta. While the Ukraine studio is still open for business, they are working out of Malta. The moving process is or was probably fairly stressful. It's a 3400km drive with a ferry ride and lots of border checkpoints. Shipping all of the studio equipment and the developer's furniture and belongings probably took a few weeks and set them back. Top that with having to flee your home and you've got the perfect recipe for lazy devs.

Because they are looking to move into the console spotlight they are probably prioritizing on the console versions of the game. This is no excuse for a bad Windows version of the game, nor is it a good reason for the lack of a Linux version, but it's something.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.