Next step in Linux Gaming?
Rustybolts Nov 18, 2010
Next step in Linux Gaming?

Now this looks interesting.
http://www.gaikai.com/about#general
[video:93ksdx2i]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQJZsztC2kA&feature=player_embedded#![/video:93ksdx2i]
Now theres a news story right there.
Rustybolts Nov 20, 2010
Re: Next step in Linux Gaming?

This article has caused quite a few comments in the short while it has been on reddit.
Quotesotonohito 14 points15 points16 points 11 hours ago[+] (0 children)

sotonohito 14 points15 points16 points 11 hours ago[-]

Nope.

In the first place it wouldn't be Linux gaming, it'd be Windows gaming with an interesting interface. I like Wine and the Cedga project is good, but they aren't Linux gaming either, they're just systems to let you run Windows games on Linux, which isn't the same thing at all.

In the second place I doubt that many people have a net connection hot enough to pipe HD video in realtime from the cloud. And of course there's the lag issue, for MMO's 200ms or so isn't a big deal, and even if the lag goes up to 300 or 400 it isn't bad. For an FPS or RTS even 200ms would would be insane to deal with.

Something like Civilization could perhaps be done well via cloud. But unless you have fiber to the home, I just don't see it working for much else.

* perma-link

JackDostoevsky 7 points8 points9 points 11 hours ago[+] (1 child)

JackDostoevsky 7 points8 points9 points 11 hours ago[-]

OnLive wasn't able to do it, and I don't think these people will be able to, either.

While something like this may appeal to the console gamer, I think most PC gamers -- whether they be Linux, OS X or Windows -- enjoy it due to the fact that you can make the gaming experience your own, unique to everyone else's, because your hardware has the flexibility.

Point is -- and aside for the logistics involved -- this kind of thing irks me because I don't feel like it's MY game anymore.

* perma-link

genpfault 1 point2 points3 points 9 hours ago[+] (0 children)

genpfault 1 point2 points3 points 9 hours ago[-]

OnLive wasn't able to do it

They'll crack the tachyon modulation problem any day now!

* perma-link
* parent

qemqemqem 1 point2 points3 points 10 hours ago[+] (3 children)

qemqemqem 1 point2 points3 points 10 hours ago[-]

The enormous lag aside, I think this is something we'll see pushed in the future, because it will make piracy almost impossible. But it would probably be pretty easy to get a Linux client.

* perma-link

liamdawe [S] 1 point2 points3 points 10 hours ago[+] (2 children)

liamdawe [S] 1 point2 points3 points 10 hours ago[-]

I too think this.

As internet speeds rise things like this will be more the norm for gaming.

* perma-link
* parent

genpfault 3 points4 points5 points 9 hours ago[+] (1 child)

genpfault 3 points4 points5 points 9 hours ago[-]

As light speeds rise things like this will be more the norm for gaming.

T, FTFY.

* perma-link
* parent

Ironbird420 0 points1 point2 points 8 hours ago[+] (0 children)

Ironbird420 0 points1 point2 points 8 hours ago[-]

Are you referring to a complete change on international broadband to switch to fiber? The speed of the internet isn't anything near the speed of light yet. If your lucky you can get 2/3s of the speed of light through copper cabling and that's if your lucky. Connections tend to bottleneck at other ISPs as it travels to its destination. Someday in the future we will see light based computing, but for now we are stuck with copper, gold, silicon, or whatever materials computers are made of.

* perma-link
* parent

Ferrofluid -1 points0 points1 point 8 hours ago[+] (0 children)

Ferrofluid -1 points0 points1 point 8 hours ago[-]

"play major PC and console games like Call Of Duty or World Of Warcraft instantly"

after the 300MB or so has downloaded...

* perma-link

Octal040 -1 points0 points1 point 4 hours ago[+] (0 children)

Octal040 -1 points0 points1 point 4 hours ago[-]

Yeah, the company is fucked from square. I just tested my net connection. From here on the east coast to San Francisco my connection speed is over 14Mbs at 86ms ping. Yet I'm ineligible for their service because my connection is too slow. Two years ago 12Mbs was the best residential service you could buy in the whole state. Now, 14.5Mbs is slightly below average for the whole country? Wtf has changed so much that my connection is considered slow? I know my system specs are good. My box is only a month old and has the best of everything available in consumer grade gaming hardware.

So, yeah, these people are already out of business if I'm too slow. Too bad, I've been waiting for something like this.

* perma-link

Ferrofluid -2 points-1 points0 points 8 hours ago[+] (0 children)

Ferrofluid -2 points-1 points0 points 8 hours ago[-]

For Linux gaming to succeed, graphics drivers need to work 100% of the time for all popular brands of chipsets from the last 8 years, OpenGL and Mesa needs to work out of the box on all mainstream distros.

Warzone2100 works out of the box on PCLinuxOs XFDE but the screen sheers slightly when scrolling, but does not work at all on PCLinuxOS 2010.10.

Its all very hit and miss and info as to why a game does not work is never presented to the user.

* perma-link
Liam Dawe Nov 20, 2010

It also prompted one user to call me a spammer heh.

Someone people need to take a chill pill.
tweakedenigma Nov 21, 2010

It looks rather interesting. I hope I get the chance to give it a try in the near future but it seems it doesn't like my connection and wont accept me for the beta.
Hamish Nov 22, 2010

Yeah, this is somewhat interesting, but considering I can not even view YouTube any more it is not going to improve my life any. And the same (good) arguments against the use of WINE, Cedega, and Crossover can just as easily be applied to this, in addition to the fact it does take away some liberties about how you play and set-up the game. So while technically interesting, for me at least it is a no-go.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.