You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Results with Cedega (wine and Others)
tweakedenigma Aug 31, 2010
Results with Cedega (wine and Others)

I have the Latest version of Cedega installed and I must say I have had some mixed results. For the most part if the game isn't on their certified lists its been something of a crap shoot.

Although Diablo 2 and StarCraft work great. I haven't played with Wine in years but it always seemed like more trouble then it was worth, has anyone had better results or should I just stick with native Linux games going forward?
Hamish Aug 31, 2010
Re: Results with Cedega (wine and Others)

Always best to stick with native games when possible, as Frank Earl is big on saying, every purchase of a non-native game is vote for Windows. If you really must emulate (or simulate, whatever), I would suggest either CrossOver Games or just regular WINE instead of Cedega. As far as I can tell Cedega has mostly left us for Cider and Mac OS X, and last time I heard CrossOver was offering benefits to those who decided to switch over to them. For my purposes though I just use WINE, though all I use it for it for the few non-native titles I have floating around from before Linux was my main system. And most of those I use Dosbox for instead.

Quoting: Hamishas Frank Earl is big on saying, every purchase of a non-native game is vote for Windows.

This is a really good point and I have gone back and forth on it for a long time. Once my subscription to Cedega is up I will probably drop them. Not sure if I will pick up Cross over or go back to Wine. Guess I will wait and see what some of the others have to say, might make it easier to decided.
Liam Dawe Aug 31, 2010

Cedega is bad bad bad.

They basically took WINE code, profited from it and didn't give anything back.

If you want something easier than WINE try Crossover Games, they support WINE too.

I would always go for native games though.
alexandrius Aug 31, 2010

Quoting: liamdaweCedega is bad bad bad.

They basically took WINE code, profited from it and didn't give anything back.

If you want something easier than WINE try Crossover Games, they support WINE too.

I would always go for native games though.

absolutely right, i hate cedega and crossover. I have never had better performance or graphics with those things. Just naked wine is the way to go

I think I will just got with Native games from here on out. After having the night to think about it, it really hit home that every time I use Wine and the Like I am voting for Windows.
Hamish Aug 31, 2010

That is generally the right position. My view is that WINE and the like should only be used for old Windows games, and probably just for your old favourites. After all, I see no reason why you should give them up just because you have switched to a new operating system. But avoid newer games like the plague, especially with the companies that have shown us in the past considerable disdain.

[url="http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17492"]http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17492[/url]
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.