Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
serious sam 2 second encounter on linux
jose1711 Jun 11, 2013
after seeing this:
"Serious Sam II (you need to use the old Linux installers to play it)"

on the sales page i purchased hib serious sam weekly. then i tried both lokis and some beta installer from icculus to install it but the result was the same - undetected cdrom (i did export SETUP_CDROM variable to point to the correct directory). does anyone know how to make it run (natively)?

thanks,

jose
jose1711 Jun 11, 2013
no, i will take a look at it. thank you
philip550c Jun 11, 2013
Quoting: CheesenessHave you had a look at this howto? :)

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Serious_Sam_II#Linux_Installation

This is the method I used to get serious sam 2 working. You can also install the serious sam classic first and second encounter with the original installers but the method is different. No steam required.
philip550c Jun 11, 2013
I dont know why my response is in the quote above? I didnt do that.
Cheeseness Jun 11, 2013
Quoting: philip550cI dont know why my response is in the quote above? I didnt do that.
Looks like it's a bug with automatically linked URLs. I fixed it for you ^_^
jose1711 Jun 12, 2013
oh, so second encounter is not the same as SS II.. while the first is not supported under linux, the latter is, however there's no direct download link available for it on hib page. and to download steam one needs steam installed in windows. ouch :-(
philip550c Jun 12, 2013
Quoting: jose1711oh, so second encounter is not the same as SS II.. while the first is not supported under linux, the latter is, however there's no direct download link available for it on hib page. and to download steam one needs steam installed in windows. ouch :-(
All three are on linux. The first and second encounter are DRM free downloads, which have their own linux beta installer. Serious Sam II is also available on linux, if you have the cds you can just use the installer but you can also use the data from steam. So what most of us do is download steam windows and run it in wine and download the serious sam II data. Then run the custom install script linked earlier in this thread. Then after its done you can delete the steam data and even steam in wine if youd like.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.