Join us on our own very special Reddit: /r/Linuxers

New Linux & SteamOS gamer survey for March

A brand new Linux & SteamOS gamer survey is now up, and this time we have a couple of fresh questions and tweaks to some old ones.

Based on feedback we have questions about Gamepads and Racing Wheels, and we have removed the distro-hopping question as it's a bit useless for a gaming-focused survey too.

Reminder: You're answering for the previous month. This is the March survey asking about February.

Find the survey for March here.

You can find the results from February here. Article taken from GamingOnLinux.com.
Tags: New Survey
0 Likes
The comments on this article are closed.

Crazy Penguin 1 March 2016 at 4:02 pm UTC
The last question about the Steam Machine doesn't make much sense.

The quesion is: Did you buy a Steam Machine?

"Please vote honestly, do not vote Yes to make it look good, as that helps no one. Tick any that apply to you."

There is no yes!

Answers are:
Steam Link
Pre-built Steam Machine
Built my own (only SteamOS counts here!)
Planning to
Still undecided

I guess my Zotac counts as Pre-Built then.
Liam Dawe 1 March 2016 at 4:53 pm UTC
tony1abIn the question who says about having used windows, it can be seen that windows can be used through virtual machine or partition. I don't know if is important or if you care about, but I think it migh be put as an option if you have a second pc with windows. (its my case)

It's already on it, was from the start of this survey.
Ilyais gamepad same as controller?
Gamepad is the slighty more proper name for a Controller.
Liam Dawe 1 March 2016 at 4:54 pm UTC
Crazy PenguinThe last question about the Steam Machine doesn't make much sense.

The quesion is: Did you buy a Steam Machine?

There is no yes!

Answers are:
Steam Link
Pre-built Steam Machine
Built my own (only SteamOS counts here!)
Planning to
Still undecided

I guess my Zotac counts as Pre-Built then.

I will reword it as it was left over from original questions. The top three are a Yes answer.
Segata Sanshiro 1 March 2016 at 5:00 pm UTC
Ilyais gamepad same as controller?

Yeah, it's normally called a "gamepad" in North America, but with the globalisation of language, the term is used on both sides of the Atlantic now.
fedso 1 March 2016 at 6:56 pm UTC
Stupendous ManJust a heads up, the survey doesn't display correctly if you have Privacy Badger activated. All the surveys have worked until this one, I don't know what has changed.

I use Privacy Badger as well and it gives no problem. All sliders on yellow on the survey page (I haven't whitelisted anything). Maybe the plugin in your machine has detected a trackers that mine hasn't yet?

Last edited by fedso on 1 March 2016 at 6:59 pm UTC
cprn 1 March 2016 at 9:01 pm UTC
How do I get to fill this survey? Or any future surveys?

edit: Errrr... never mind!

Last edited by cprn on 1 March 2016 at 9:03 pm UTC
Liam Dawe 1 March 2016 at 9:11 pm UTC
fedso

I'm afraid as far as I know that's not a feature google docs offers. It would also require people to login.
tuubi 1 March 2016 at 9:43 pm UTC
TheBoss
fedsop.s. it would be great to be tracked by the survey so I wouldn't have to select the same answers every month!!

This isn't doable for a Google Docs form, but login could be avoided by storing the answers in a local cookie. Of course this would need to be opt-in in case you're filling the survey on a public or shared computer/device.
tmtvl 1 March 2016 at 9:44 pm UTC
I accidentally bought a non-Linux game, it had the Steam logo and I thought it meant SteamOS. But it was on the developer's website, so no.

Oh well, I could ask my money back, but it's an indie studio so I don't care.
General Buck Turgidson 4 March 2016 at 8:24 pm UTC
I find it surprising that you don't ask about sound systems in these surveys. You ask many questions about graphics: Video card vendor, driver version, screen resolution, and monitor count, but not a word about audio.

When playing on my home theater rig, I've found that most Linux ports are missing surround sound. Of the 22 cross-platform games in my steam library with working surround sound on Windows, it only works for 7 of them on Linux. It's even broken on most of Valve's games (L4D2 and CS:GO are their only titles with surround, and then only 5.1, not 7.1). Because of this, while I usually play on Linux when I'm at my desk, I use Windows in my living room. Asking if gamers play on headphones, stereo speakers, or surround speakers would be a good idea. I'm curious what percentage of linux gamers are impacted by this.

I would assume that it's very rare in the desktop role, but much more common for sofa-PC. As a developer myself, I wonder if it's worth the effort for me to support it on my own games. You have a great opportunity to gather this information, it's a shame to let it go to waste.

• RPM Flow: „Renowned Explorers“