The folks over at the Unity game engine have managed some impressive stuff, like their next project to help developers being a free sample FPS game that looks quite impressive.
- 1 fully populated arena level, including high-quality assets for HDRP
- 2 fully rigged characters with 4 unique weapons
- Up to 16 players
- Deathmatch and Assault game modes
- Support for PC with more platforms scheduled to follow
- FPS netcode based on an authoritative server architecture
Along with that, the license seems to be pretty good for developers too allowing "a worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, and royalty-free copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute the software" with certain restrictions.
Have a peek:
Naturally, this will end up getting a few rip-offs bundling the whole thing with minor changes but if it does enable some developers to pick and choose parts for their own project to help then that's great.
The Unity folks say this sample game will see continued updates along with new Unity versions.
See more about it on the official Unity site.