Left 4 Dead 2, the nearly 11 year old shooter from Valve now has a set release date of September 24 for the huge update made along with a community of modders.
A collaborative effort from both Valve and over 30 different people from the community to improve on an already fantastic game. This update has been in progress for a long time now, and it will be available free to all owners of Left 4 Dead 2. Not only that, it will get a long free weekend when it goes live.
See the new official trailer:
As for what to actually properly expect from it? Brace yourself, because it's an exciting and long list of new content that's coming. Here's the highlights (source):
- The Last Stand Campaign - The survivors decide to take an alternate route in hopes of salvation, but will this path truly steer them away from total devastation?
- 30 Brand New Achievements - New and unique milestones to strive for! Show us what you’re made of!
- 26 New Survival Maps - How long can you survive against the endless and relentless hordes?
- 2 Brand New Melee Weapons - Hunt a witch with the pitchfork, or whack a Jockey with the shovel. Satisfaction guaranteed!
- L4D1 Infected Revival - The L4D1 infected are back, and they're bloodier than ever!
- New and previously unused survivor voicelines - Who would’ve guessed it, Rochelle has a personality now!
- New character animations - New, improved and overhauled animations! So smooth it’s criminal.
- Reworked gun models and animations - The guns now behave more realistic than ever!
- PvP enhancements and balance changes - New attack spots, new tank spawns, and hundreds of new infected ladders for the competitive modes just waiting for you to explore!
- Official Implementation of CSS weapons - The CSS weapons are now available to everyone! Hurray!
- Brand new mutations Rocketdude and Tank Run - Ever wanted to launch yourself around with a grenade launcher, or challenge hordes of tanks to a race? We've got you covered.
- Additional Gamemode Support - Every gamemode now offers the singleplayer option, and Versus Survival is officially brought forth to the main menu. Time to team up!
- Hundreds of bug and exploit fixes - The days of falling through elevators are gone!
It might not be Left 4 Dead 3 but it sounds like it's close enough for now, that's a lot to look forward to.
We will do a special event livestream for it when it's all live and verified working, so be sure to follow us on Twitch. Our streamer, Sin, is seriously excited about this.
You can find Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam.