Another fine example of open source in action with a commercial indie game here, as the dungeon building sim KeeperRL continues being upgraded.
Most recently with KeeperRL Alpha 31, which adds a new Warlord game mode. This new mode allows you to take a "retired" keeper (after you win) and some minions on another adventure through other retired dungeons. Sounds pretty amusing, and gives KeeperRL a fun mode for short-bursts.
They've also now hooked up scripting for procedural map generation, which several maps are now already using. This new system is moddable, faster to work with and since all of the algorithms used to generate the maps are included in the scripting - they said that there's a "huge potential for modders to customize their own maps".
More new content is included like:
- New unlockable Adoxie adventurer (already known by some from the bonus mod).
- Reworked Demon Den level.
- Reworked all castles in the game.
- Reworked the top and the lava z-levels using new the map generation system.
- Two new hidden z-level locations.
- Four new hidden top-level locations.
- Reworked blacksmith house.
- Angels have wings.
Still in Early Access, which amusingly the developer said it would be there for "maybe a year" and that was back in 2015. Good games take time though, and KeeperRL certainly doesn't disappoint even now.