Currently crowdfunding on Kickstarter with a goal that's been hit, DoubleShake from Rightstick Studios is a love letter to classic 5th generation platformers.
Inspired by the likes of Mischief Makers, Tomba!, Klonoa and others from the Nintendo 64 and original PlayStation, it certainly looks the part with its delightfully blocky style. However, they make it clear they're using some modern techniques and game design to shake it up and make it feel better. Using a mix of traditional platforming that also has you navigate through 2.5D styled paths where you can find all sorts of secrets. They say as the game progresses, it slowly switches from a platformer to be more puzzle and exploration-focused so it's one big mix.
Check out their (very early) trailer:
More about it:
- GRAB just about anything not nailed down to the floor, including enemies! Carry small objects around or attach to Grapple Orbs to navigate tricky terrain!
- THROW things to clear the way! Throw carry-able things forward, up, down, and all around to solve puzzles, defeat foes, and destroy obstacles!
- SHAKE up the scene! Give your enemies a jostle, activate held objects, shake off their loose valuables, swing massive weapons, shoot guns, various other things that are too spoiler-y to mention here, and when you're not holding anything, shake your money maker to taunt enemies!
- KICK the heck out of everything to disarm enemies and ricochet off of various objects and walls. Your kick doesn't deal enough damage to anything not in shambles, but it still has great knock-back and can stun foes.
- NAVIGATE winding, twisting, branching, bobbing, flowing, changing, turning, rotating 2.5D-style paths throughout scenic vistas ranging from quaint fishing villages, volcanic mountainsides, haunted vineyards, and... an entire fusillade of in-flight missiles!? Paths can converge and split at crossroads, or Super Jump Pads can let you quickly transfer to faraway points! Also, as the game progresses, the levels become more and more puzzle and exploration-focused.
- DISCOVER a ton of secrets, items, alternate paths, and ability upgrades scattered and tucked away in the deepest darkest corners of the levels! Eat Golden Peppers to increase your max health and find ability upgrades!
- ENCOUNTER a band of nasty ne'er-do-wells (and the occasional dangerous wildlife), including several bosses! Utilize your grab and kick mechanics to turn their attacks and projectiles into counter-attacks, take them down and overthrow their evil plans!
Linux is a very clearly stated platform their planning to support, and they do have a very rough early tech demo up on itch.io with some graphical issues but it's there. Seems it has been somewhat popular, with their $9,000 goal being blasted through and with 8 days left as it finishes on November 19, 2020 they're currently seeing over $22,000 in funding from over 600 backers.
Since it has been funded, it's been added to our growing Crowdfunding Page.