Naev returns! This classic free and open source 2D space exploration, trading and combat sim release version 0.8.0 and it's quite a big change for it. What is it? Taking inspiration from the likes of the Escape Velocity series, you travel around space and pretty much do whatever you want. There's various story missions, lots of different ships and encounters and it's now bigger than ever.
If you're a fan of classic space sims, Naev is worth a look, especially with the masses of improvements that came along with this brand new release. Here's just a small slice of some of the bigger changes in Naev 0.8.0:
- Overhaul of the interface to be more sleek and functional
- New map overlay with adjustable opacity
- Added rarity indicator to ships and outfits
- Simple economy model implemented with map visualizations
- Added travelling merchant who sells unique items
- Added asteroids and mining
- Improved player GUI and new default UI
- Improved and fixed escort system
- Made combat music vary from faction to faction
- Improved AI behaviours
- Added Soromid organic ships that level up organs
- Improved and expanded NPC portraits
- Added a “slow mode”, which runs the game at half speed (like an easy mode)
- Added a ship log which records events
- Added a “system map” which displays information about known remote planets
- Added support for giving commands to individual escorts
- Increased pirate name variety for bounty missions
- Added map decorators showing locations of factions and the Nebula
- More music
- New and/or improved missions
There's a lot more, and of course plenty of bugs were fixed along with that too.
After more similar free and open source space sims? Do check out Endless Sky too.