Along with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive seeing it's 10th operation with Operation Broken Fang, Valve's other popular free first-person shooter Team Fortress 2 is doing a new Smissmas 2020 event.
Live until January 7th, 2021 - any player who logs in during the event will be gifted a Stuffed Stocking, which contains goodies for "good little Mercenaries". There's plenty more to entice you back into TF2 with 4 new community maps to play across: Pier, Snowfall, SnowVille, and Wutville.
If you enjoy your cosmetics there's plenty of that too with the Winter 2020 Cosmetic Case that contains one of twenty possible community-made items and you can get The Festivizer as a bonus drop when opening it. There's also the Winter 2020 War Paint Case that contains one of thirteen possible community-made War Paints and there's a chance to get the taunt Unusualifier as a bonus item.
The Mann Co. Store also has eight new community-made taunts, there's nineteen community-made Unusual effects and all of the cosmetic and taunt cases will grant Smissmas 2020 Unusual effects instead of their normal Unusual effects during the event. The Mann Co. Store is also having a Winter Sale for you to stock up.
Additionally, the TF2 client was updated with some fixes:
- Fixed exploit where players could use "retry" in the console to reset the MvM timer and prevent the wave from starting
- Updated item schema with community fixes from Andrés S. (rabscootle)
- Updated web page with community fixes from Liam Stone (boba)
- Updated Spy invis materials with community fixes from Liam Stone (boba)
- Updated materials with community fixes from Andrés S. (rabscootle) and NeoDement to fix broken Jarate effect
- Updated/Added some tournament medals
- Updated the localization files
You can play Team Fortress 2 free on Steam. The event is live until January 7th, 2021.